• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STAR WARS : The Force Awakens Dec, 18, 2015

1,516 posts in this topic

Okay back to the fun Star Wars discussion.....

I think we all know that this trilogy will give us some kind of swerve.

You can only pick one plot twist you wish would happen.

What would it be? :popcorn:

No spoiler tag needed.

Not sure it's a twist but I'm praying to God that Han and chewie survive the movie. I am having sever anxiety attacks worried they are going to kill off my favorite two characters of my favorite franchise of all time.

I really can't take it!

Rewatching the trailer again I can't help but notice that both Leia AND Rey are crying about something. Who would they both cry over? HMM? HMM? (Han is holding Leia at the time so he is out)

And Rey's last name is Skywalker or Solo. JJ Abrams purposely hasn't revealed her last name. She is more than just a scavenger / nobody.

She just may be a new "Rey" of Hope. :)

Just for this movie though. She won't be the female lead in ep 8 or 9 and rumor is she won't even be in those sequels anyway.

Judging from some of the reactions in here, some people are going to be disappointed when this movie finally comes out. This is a dark movie.
You have some inside info there, buddy? :baiting:

Guys, Finn is just Finn. Not every main character in these movies has to be related to another main character.

Party pooper :baiting:

:jokealert:

Edit: For the record, I totally agree with EP on this one.

The biggest tragedy is that the prequel trilogy movies were so bad and the first movie poster had such promise. :cry:

How in the world could George Lucas watch the final versions of those movies and deem them worthy of a theater.

star_wars_episode_one_the_phantom_m.jpg

because he was surriunded by yes man and no one wanted to let him know that the story need some work.

The biggest tragedy is that the prequel trilogy movies were so bad and the first movie poster had such promise. :cry:

How in the world could George Lucas watch the final versions of those movies and deem them worthy of a theater.

because he was surriunded by yes man and no one wanted to let him know that the story need some work.

The story was written 20 years ago....all they had to do was act it out properly.

Star Wars went from basically adult PG-13 to below G.

Epic trash the prequels were.

I wish Disney would say this regarding Episodes I II or III.

"wipe them out...all of them"

Ha, wipe them out, maybe they deserve it!

However, my kids love part 1, as much as I can't stand watching it. The Pod race and the fight with Maul they'll watch over and over, and they're 10 and 7. The early films are just too slow for them, other than a few parts (such as the Ewok battle in Jedi).

To them, part 1 is what New Hope/Empire/Jedi was to us (I'm 42, not sure about you).

Jay

The story was written 20 years ago....all they had to do was act it out properly.

Star Wars went from basically adult PG-13 to below G.

Epic trash the prequels were.

I wish Disney would say this regarding Episodes I II or III.

"wipe them out...all of them"

I found this interesting from Star Wars Wikipedia:

Prequel trilogy

After losing much of his fortune in a divorce settlement in 1987, Lucas had no desire to return to Star Wars, and had unofficially canceled the sequel trilogy by the time of Return of the Jedi.[60] Nevertheless, the prequels, which were only still a series of basic ideas partially pulled from his original drafts of "The Star Wars", continued to fascinate him with the possibilities of technical advances would make it possible to revisit his 20-year-old material. After Star Wars became popular once again, in the wake of Dark Horse's comic book line and Timothy Zahn's trilogy of novels, Lucas saw that there was still a large audience. His children were older, and with the explosion of CGI technology he was now considering returning to directing.[61] By 1993, it was announced, in Variety among other sources, that he would be making the prequels. He began penning more to the story, now indicating the series would be a tragic one examining Anakin Skywalker's fall to the dark side. Lucas also began to change how the prequels would exist relative to the originals; at first they were supposed to be a "filling-in" of history tangential to the originals, but now he saw that they could form the beginning of one long story that started with Anakin's childhood and ended with his death. This was the final step towards turning the film series into a "Saga".[62]

In 1994, Lucas began writing the screenplay to the first prequel, titled Episode I: The Beginning. Following the release of that film, Lucas announced that he would also be directing the next two, and began work on Episode II,[63] The first draft of Episode II was completed just weeks before principal photography, and Lucas hired Jonathan Hales, a writer from The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, to polish it.[64] Unsure of a title, Lucas had jokingly called the film "Jar Jar's Great Adventure."[65] In writing The Empire Strikes Back, Lucas initially decided that Lando Calrissian was a clone and came from a planet of clones which caused the "Clone Wars" mentioned by Princess Leia in A New Hope;[66][67] he later came up with an alternate concept of an army of clone shocktroopers from a remote planet which attacked the Republic and were repelled by the Jedi.[68] The basic elements of that backstory became the plot basis for Episode II, with the new wrinkle added that Palpatine secretly orchestrated the crisis.[12]

Lucas began working on Episode III before Attack of the Clones was released, offering concept artists that the film would open with a montage of seven Clone War battles.[69] As he reviewed the storyline that summer, however, he says he radically re-organized the plot.[70] Michael Kaminski, in The Secret History of Star Wars, offers evidence that issues in Anakin's fall to the dark side prompted Lucas to make massive story changes, first revising the opening sequence to have Palpatine kidnapped and his apprentice, Count Dooku, murdered by Anakin as the first act in the latter's turn towards the dark side.[71] After principal photography was complete in 2003, Lucas made even more massive changes in Anakin's character, re-writing his entire turn to the dark side; he would now turn primarily in a quest to save Padmé's life, rather than the previous version in which that reason was one of several, including that he genuinely believed that the Jedi were evil and plotting to take over the Republic. This fundamental re-write was accomplished both through editing the principal footage, and new and revised scenes filmed during pick-ups in 2004.[72]

Lucas often exaggerated the amount of material he wrote for the series; much of it stemmed from the post‐1978 period when the series grew into a phenomenon. Michael Kaminski explained that these exaggerations were both a publicity and security measure. Kaminski rationalized that since the series' story radically changed throughout the years, it was always Lucas' intention to change the original story retroactively because audiences would only view the material from his perspective.[13][73] When congratulating the producers of the TV series Lost in 2010, Lucas himself jokingly admitted, "when Star Wars first came out, I didn't know where it was going either. The trick is to pretend you've planned the whole thing out in advance. Throw in some father issues and references to other stories – let's call them homages – and you've got a series".[74]