• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,103 posts in this topic

Hi all, this is my first post here. I have a large Silver age collection from my father and recently started having each issue graded by CGC. Most are coming back in the 6.5-7.5 range but my Detective #359 came back at 3.5 due to a 1 inch x 1 inch missing piece on the bottom rear cover corner. I'm wondering if it's worth sending this issue in for CGC restoration? I know that restored comics are not as valued in general but I also know that this issue is in high-demand. Any advice or feedback would be appreciated.

Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 1.19.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 1.19.14 PM.png

On 1/16/2022 at 8:00 AM, alexanderjk said:

Crazier still is that these facsimile editions are being slabbed and sold at a premium. (At least at my local shop, where they have a shelf devoted to slabbed facsimiles.) 

I have done very nicely with 9.6s and 9.8s on eBay(thumbsu

What's the story with Oregon coast collection slabs on HA??? Just tracking a random sample of books tonight and in the past blowing by GPA highs! These were not only 9.8s but some 9.2, 9.0 in there as well. They weren't significant keys either just random issues. I don't know whether it's typical HA madness or something to do with this collection?

On 1/16/2022 at 2:20 PM, Ian Maurer said:

Hi all, this is my first post here. I have a large Silver age collection from my father and recently started having each issue graded by CGC. Most are coming back in the 6.5-7.5 range but my Detective #359 came back at 3.5 due to a 1 inch x 1 inch missing piece on the bottom rear cover corner. I'm wondering if it's worth sending this issue in for CGC restoration? I know that restored comics are not as valued in general but I also know that this issue is in high-demand. Any advice or feedback would be appreciated.

Restoration will only hurt the value and limit the potential pool of buyers. Many collectors look away when they see a purple restored label. 

Your best bet is to leave it alone. It's in demand and collectors will appreciate a nicer looking book where the big defect is on the back cover. 

Leave it alone.  

On 1/16/2022 at 10:48 PM, Sauce Dog said:

For as long as I've collected Iron Man I've always hated #1 (uninteresting story continued over from another two series, awful cover, nothing eventful or any new appearances. Such a poor 1st issue of a new series). It was everywhere and I never regarded it as anything but common filler, so now when I'm gearing up to actually sell my entire Iron Man run (100% of volumes 1-5) I have told a local kid interested in it all that I refuse to sell #1 for anything close to current guide on it. I rather it all go to a new eager fan of the character then just hawking it online (it's a CGC 4.0, so I told him it will be at most $350 for it...but in my mind that is three times what that garbage should be worth) :D 

Of course...he is new and we shall see if he actually recognizes the deal I'm offering him ($1,000 for everything...500+ issues should give his collection a decent boost)

I hope the kid buys them. It would be a great deal for him and will keep moving the hobby forward.   And I agree.. it still doesn't feel like a $350 book (nevermind whatever it's really worth).  But I feel that way about allot of books these days lol. 

On 1/16/2022 at 10:48 PM, Sauce Dog said:

For as long as I've collected Iron Man I've always hated #1 (uninteresting story continued over from another two series, awful cover, nothing eventful or any new appearances. Such a poor 1st issue of a new series). It was everywhere and I never regarded it as anything but common filler, so now when I'm gearing up to actually sell my entire Iron Man run (100% of volumes 1-5) I have told a local kid interested in it all that I refuse to sell #1 for anything close to current guide on it. I rather it all go to a new eager fan of the character then just hawking it online (it's a CGC 4.0, so I told him it will be at most $350 for it...but in my mind that is three times what that garbage should be worth) :D 

Of course...he is new and we shall see if he actually recognizes the deal I'm offering him ($1,000 for everything...500+ issues should give his collection a decent boost)

Hmm ... I actually like the cover quite a bit?

On 1/9/2022 at 9:56 PM, KirbyJack said:

…and Rama Tut, Attuma, The Watcher (has to happen, right?), and second rounds of Super-Skrull, Him and Agatha Harkness hype.

There was hype for super skrull? When? FF 18 is still rather affordable. Unlike Rama Tut.

Restoration will make it a lot less attractive on the market.  Leave this comic alone.

On 1/17/2022 at 8:14 AM, KirbyJack said:

I coulda sworn there was Super-Skrull hype, but I am old...

I vaguely recall some speculation about a possible appearance in the Captain Marvel movie that got people excited for about 5 minutes. But I’m old too…

On 1/15/2022 at 9:06 PM, Wolverinex said:

Thanks! I listed a 7.0 here on the boards last night before bed, came back today and thought I needed new pictures. So after taking new ones and rewriting the post I decided to add some gpa to explain my price. Then I saw what a 7.5 (I forget but it was over $3K) and an 8.0 ($4K) just sold for and decided I can wait a little while before selling, now is not the time!