• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,103 posts in this topic

On 4/10/2022 at 12:55 PM, GrasshopperFF said:

Could you please tell me what is fugly about this book? I need to learn. 99C09A2A-DF18-4713-A2F3-D7D673A4A792.thumb.jpeg.56408da6ff5c40d7032676594a9a636e.jpeg

The color breaking creases on the top staple and corner breaking crease on top right corner. Not to mention the cover is uneven with the book. In all honesty, I’m surprised that CGC graded the book with the overhang. Just look at the back cover image. 

On 4/10/2022 at 8:09 PM, MGsimba77 said:

The suspicion is the top edge might be folded down a little bit. No way of knowing without seeing it from a top angle. It could be a production flaw so who knows? I'd say this copy qualifies as a "tweener" between 9.0 and 9 2, possibly maybe 8.5. This issue is chronically miswraped in both directions and lower than white pages so the good wrap makes it worthwhile. I'd take it in a second!

The book is a 8.5 at best. My CGC 8.5 books looks better than this book. For $21K, I’d rather buy the 9.4 from another grading service on eBay for $14K

Edited by supapimp
Included more content

On 4/11/2022 at 12:14 AM, supapimp said:

The color breaking creases on the top staple and corner breaking crease on top right corner. Not to mention the cover is uneven with the book. In all honesty, I’m surprised that CGC graded the book with the overhang. Just look at the back cover image. 

You cant tell anything from the back cover that isn't clear from the front. It could be overhang but how do you know it's not just a weird production cut at the top?

On 4/10/2022 at 12:55 PM, GrasshopperFF said:

Could you please tell me what is fugly about this book? I need to learn. 99C09A2A-DF18-4713-A2F3-D7D673A4A792.thumb.jpeg.56408da6ff5c40d7032676594a9a636e.jpeg

i'm astonished that this book got this grade. as many others already noted, the piece on top is very strange. but the top staple stress alone with color breaking creases should certainly keep the grade under 9.0. the top right corner bend is also not great though if that were the only issue with the book, then it would make more sense. 

On 4/11/2022 at 10:42 AM, alexgross.com said:

just for contrast, here is my unpressed, uncleaned xmen 49. note how perfect the staples are. (btw pages are as white as tp) that ff52 9.2 looks worse in every way than this book from the same era. grading is subjective, but gimme a break. 

EB579942-15C8-4F9C-B9FB-6D9D3E3F5EA0.jpeg

Nice book right there! The 8.5 XMen 4 I took a run at had me pretty excited about owning a key book in that series. And I see what you are all saying. I’m truly grateful I lost the fugly FF52!

On 4/10/2022 at 4:53 PM, pickycollector said:

That FF #52 is a very weak 9.2, I have seen many 8.5's and 9.0's that look much better. With CGC grading's inconsistency, it's all about buying the label or buying the book..

.... it's a decent 8.5. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 4/10/2022 at 5:23 PM, GrasshopperFF said:

It’s that last point that seems to be so true. 10 years ago those who were buying up the right keys, for high dollars at the time, likely had folks scratching their heads in wonderment (like my wife is currently). The passage of time shows them to be way ahead. No one knows what the future holds, of course, but the long term play is solid in my opinion. 

There are rarely deals,  period.  If you want a good key SA book... I mean a key that presents well regardless of grade and has some kind of connecting significance... then you are going to 99% of the time not going to get a deal when you buy it.  Best bet is to set a comfortable limit on how much above average market price you are willing to pay.  For me that's about 10-20% depending on the book and my liquidity at the time,  but I've found if you are not short term flipping,  you always come out ahead. 

It’s that last point that seems to be so true. 10 years ago those who were buying up the right keys, for high dollars at the time, likely had folks scratching their heads in wonderment (like my wife is currently). The passage of time shows them to be way ahead. No one knows what the future holds, of course, but the long term play is solid in my opinion. 

These two comments are right on the money!  Stop complaining, buy what you want/can/love  (supply and demand will always rule) and enjoy the hobby !    I have no sympathy for quick flippers.

Okay, in an attempt to understand what's going on here....okay, after thinking about it, I can't understand what's going on. If I sent in that 8.5 I would have expected at least a 9.4 and would have been very disappointed with the grade. Maybe it's something we don't see?

On 4/11/2022 at 3:06 PM, ninanina said:

Okay, in an attempt to understand what's going on here....okay, after thinking about it, I can't understand what's going on. If I sent in that 8.5 I would have expected at least a 9.4 and would have been very disappointed with the grade. Maybe it's something we don't see?

Yeah, I think CGC would tell you these books are graded based on the totality of their quality, not just how the front cover looks.  There could be problem(s) inside the 8.5 that you can't see and the 9.2 could be pristine inside (and frankly, it better be).  We're kind of stuck with the surface appeal once they're slabbed.

Edited by MattTheDuck