• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
25 25

4,103 posts in this topic

It will be interesting to see what the 8.0 Action 242 brings today on eBay. It was at $8k last I checked.

I'll watch that as well and I'm guessing at around 10-12k for the action 242

I think it has a good shot at breaking $10k. Super tough above 6.0, and only two better in 8.5. It took years of searching to find my copy, which has better PQ and eye appeal than the 8.0. :grin:

action%20242_zpsgwwdqkgh.jpg

I would have to agree with you, given the spine ticks and the crease in the lower-right hand corner of the 8.0. As a collector, I would much rather have your copy.

I bought mine already slabbed, but it was graded this past June...and they have apparently been very tough lately.

Yes, they have.

I was both disappointed and happy with my submissions from this summer as well: disappointed with the books I subbed to flip that did not receive gift grades BUT happy with the ones I wanted to keep as they are accurately graded. lol

I bought mine already slabbed, but it was graded this past June...and they have apparently been very tough lately.

Yes, they have.

I was both disappointed and happy with my submissions from this summer as well: disappointed with the books I subbed to flip that did not receive gift grades BUT happy with the ones I wanted to keep as they are accurately graded. lol

I'm still trying to figure this one out. Back cover is just as nice... hm

b232.jpg

Good post. When purchasing or submitting for your own collection you want your books tightly graded. If you are a dealer or simply selling you want the gift grade. For the overall health of the hobby, I think you should want tightly graded books coming from CGC. Gift grades pollute the marketplace. Part of my research when making a purchase is checking the Grade date. Love me those Mark Haspel era grades !

Yes, they have.

b232.jpg

I've gotten some submissions back the last 6 months that have been punishing and baffling. Kind of like we're going back to 10+ years ago. And I think too harsh. What I've liked of the CGC of the last few years where I've done maybe 40 to 50 submissions, mostly SA books, is that, IMHO, the grades are fair and pragmatic, unlike the Overstreet grading standards that are too rigid.

Edited by zosocane

Good post. When purchasing or submitting for your own collection you want your books tightly graded. If you are a dealer or simply selling you want the gift grade. For the overall health of the hobby, I think you should want tightly graded books coming from CGC. Gift grades pollute the marketplace. Part of my research when making a purchase is checking the Grade date. Love me those Mark Haspel era grades !

I've made this point before: If you think about it, there has to be a tendency for books to move into the overgraded category over time. Books that seem undergraded are quite likely to be resubmitted at some point, while books that seem overgraded are unlikely to. And this is just assuming that there is some random variance in the grading process, not systematically loose and tight grading periods.

Add in that books from the tight periods are unlikely to be resubmitted, while books from loose periods are not, and you would expect that over time the average CGC grade should rise above the "true" grade -- if somehow we could reliably establish it.

My General Theory of grade drift!

Yes, they have.

b232.jpg

Well at least the pq is nice! :D

No hint from the grading notes of some secret sorrow to the interior that you had overlooked?

That is one weak 8.0. Andy's copy is a tight 7.0, and the other is just a strict 6.5, maybe 7.0, dressed up as an 8.0.

I would like to request that grading team for all of my future submissions....... lol

Looking at when it was graded, the significant overgrade makes sense. CGC was in a looser cycle back then.

CGC is just bad with this book for whatever reason. Label ain't always right especially on higher graded copies of this book.

I was the "high end dealer" who sold this book to the now seller on ebay. I bought it from someone else who's also a dealer and sold it for a price that basically was a number that I thought was good enough for me to part with it.

I've since replace it with a book that I feel has equal eye appeal to Andy's copy, with perhaps slightly better colors.

I was the "high end dealer" who sold this book to the now seller on ebay. I bought it from someone else who's also a dealer and sold it for a price that basically was a number that I thought was good enough for me to part with it.

I've since replace it with a book that I feel has equal eye appeal to Andy's copy, with perhaps slightly better colors.

But are you a dealer or a "high end" dealer? :baiting:b Would love to see your copy.

With what I'm. Seeing on books like this, tough books in grade, especially DCs, with sparse censuses, is a growing comfort level at paying 5-15K now, for the same books that were going for 3-5K years ago. There's too many far easier keys and minor keys that sell for the low four figures that have made paying more for much tougher books easier to swallow.

Ten is the new five so to speak.

With what I'm. Seeing on books like this, tough books in grade, especially DCs, with sparse censuses, is a growing comfort level at paying 5-15K now, for the same books that were going for 3-5K years ago. There's too many far easier keys and minor keys that sell for the low four figures that have made paying more for much tougher books easier to swallow.

Ten is the new five so to speak.

well that's a good way to think about it haha

That is why now is the time to pick up the DC SA 1st apps/keys/minor keys that have not jumped yet. Marvel SA books have pretty much all had their run up due to the TV and movie appearances and now you have to look at BA and CA books to find the hidden gems. DC books have a lot of room to make up.

That is why now is the time to pick up the DC SA 1st apps/keys/minor keys that have not jumped yet. Marvel SA books have pretty much all had their run up due to the TV and movie appearances and now you have to look at BA and CA books to find the hidden gems. DC books have a lot of room to make up.

+1.

Yes, they have.

b232.jpg

No hint from the grading notes of some secret sorrow to the interior that you had overlooked?

There must be a major problem on the inside pages

Yes, they have.

b232.jpg

Generally water/moisture related damage (wavering) when you can't see anything wrong and the grade is that low.

Yes, they have.

b232.jpg

Generally water/moisture related damage (wavering) when you can't see anything wrong and the grade is that low.

A detached centerfold can bring a high grade book down to 7.0 .

Yes, they have.

b232.jpg

A detached centerfold can bring a high grade book down to 7.0 .

Yep, they used to note that - not sure if they still do. Give me a detached CF all day long (if the price is right). lol