• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,101 posts in this topic

I bought mine already slabbed, but it was graded this past June...and they have apparently been very tough lately.

Yes, they have.

I was both disappointed and happy with my submissions from this summer as well: disappointed with the books I subbed to flip that did not receive gift grades BUT happy with the ones I wanted to keep as they are accurately graded. lol

I'm still trying to figure this one out. Back cover is just as nice... hm

b232.jpg

Well at least the pq is nice! :D

No hint from the grading notes of some secret sorrow to the interior that you had overlooked?

There must be a major problem on the inside pages

Generally water/moisture related damage (wavering) when you can't see anything wrong and the grade is that low.

A detached centerfold can bring a high grade book down to 7.0 .

Yep, they used to note that - not sure if they still do. Give me a detached CF all day long (if the price is right). lol

Here are the notes. I certainly don't remember all of the creasing mentioned...

Bottom Front Cover Lite Crease

Full Right Front Cover Lite Multiple Crease

Left Top Front Cover Crease

Spine Stress Lines

Spine Stress Lines

I think they gave you the wrong book ?

Spine Stress Lines

dun dun dunnnn I'll be following this to see if they indeed mess up the comic they gave you and what they'll do about it

There must be a fugly 9.0+ out there now

While logistically, having two copies in the encapsulation room at the same time would be rare, perhaps it was a clerical error ? What if, the grade and grading notes were entered on the wrong book ? Maybe something as simple as they forgot to hit 'enter' on this book and kept typing.

Or maybe they were interrupted and came back entering the wrong data. Stuff happens.

While logistically, having two copies in the encapsulation room at the same time would be rare, perhaps it was a clerical error ? What if, the grade and grading notes were entered on the wrong book ? Maybe something as simple as they forgot to hit 'enter' on this book and kept typing.

Or maybe they were interrupted and came back entering the wrong data. Stuff happens.

I just checked and this is the last book in the submission. The book sequentially before this one, is a Flash 123 in 7.0 . Perhaps it was a clerical error = they left the same grade for this book. Do the notes for the Batman match the Flash 123 ?

Spine Stress Lines

+1 (shrug)

I just checked and this is the last book in the submission. The book sequentially before this one, is a Flash 123 in 7.0 . Perhaps it was a clerical error = they left the same grade for this book. Do the notes for the Batman match the Flash 123 ?

A good thought, but no, the notes don't match.

This book is a perfect candidate to do a "before and after" and see what grade it would get on the 2nd try. Not that it's worth another $40 in slabbing fees and your valuable time ... but no way that book comes back 7.0 on the next go-round.

With the current market prices on the Silver Age books, I'd say it's almost all heating up

Really? I'm seeing lower prices on most mid-lower grade books. What are you seeing heating up since the spring?

The keys/1st apps/hot covers are up, most commons are flat or down. Just like most other years, I guess.

The thing is the "key" pool is ever expanding...

Yes, this would appear to be the case if you read the market reports in the latest OS guide.

Keys for all of the various ages are selling for high prices in all grades, with the key pool expanding by leaps and bounds as more and more characters are being rumored in upcoming movies.

Definitely a healthier sign and a nice change from all the talk on CGC highest graded copies, which was much more of the focus the previous few years. (thumbs u

i'm curious why this is healthier? are the "collectors" who rushed out to buy Avengers #55 in any grade at any price in 2013 when Ultron was announced better off now that prices have come down by 2/3's? this will not be an isolated occurrence. these so-called " first appearance keys" will continue to implode when the movies either a)dispense w/ the characters b)suck c)fade into oblivion.

+1.

Yes, one of the negative signs of a healthier and more robust market is that you will always get the "speculators" out there who will chase after all of the hot books as they see an opportunity to find a even bigger fool out there.

Long-term collectors have seen this exact same scenario play out time and again, and are generally astute enough not to fall victim to this irrational exuberance and be the ones picking up the hot potato at the top of the market.

The healthier marketplace which I am referring to is that more books are in demand with more collectors out there looking for them. It is healthier to have books such as Marvel Preview 4, Batman Adventures 12, New Mutants 98, etc. and yes, even Avengers 55 selling for decent money in all grades (both slabbed and raw), as opposed to sitting in dollar boxes untouched and unwanted by anybody.

Yes, definitely a sign of healthier marketplace when books such as BB 28, ASM 129, More Fun 73, etc. can sell for healthy premiums to guide in all condition grades across the board, as opposed to selling at record prices only when they are the CGC highest graded copy and all other copies can only sell at a discount to guide.

So yes, a healthier marketplace is when books are in demand and being sought after with rising prices being paid for them, as opposed to when nobody is looking for them and they can sit untouched in dollar boxes for year after year. hm

The Enchantress has been pegged (via a confirmed rumor from Heroic Hollywood) as the main villain in the Suicide Squad movie, I just sold a SA 191 (her 2nd app.) CGC 8.5 O/W Pages for $175+ shipping....

Probably should have held out a bit longer as there isn't exactly an abundance of high grade slabs out there....read my blurb in the listing for the breakdown (thumbs u

I still have a very solid, clean #187 (raw) to list.It's a solid VG to VG/FN with O/W pages....can't remember the exact grade offhand but it's not in the VF or better range......nor is it slabbed, like this #191 is.

....but meh, I have to raise as much extra scratch as possible b/c I will be hitting Baltimore and coughing up around 2 grand for onsite grading.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Strange-Adventures-191-CGC-8-5-2nd-App-Enchantress-ONLY-9-COPIES-IN-CENSUS-/201410251545?ssPageName=ADME:X:BOCOC:US:1123

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2015/09/10/rumor-suicide-squad-s-main-villain-isn-t-who-you-think-it-is-3537699?lt_source=external,manual

I had the same thing happen with the same book. I really thought this would get a 9.4,really it's a stunner in hand.

bat23256862.jpg

I would gladly pay you 8.5 gpa for that book any day of the week Oakman!

Beautiful colours on this book! (thumbs u

No doubt. So what did they find that knocked it back so hard?