• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,101 posts in this topic

It will be interesting to see what the 8.0 Action 242 brings today on eBay. It was at $8k last I checked.

I'll watch that as well and I'm guessing at around 10-12k for the action 242

I think it has a good shot at breaking $10k. Super tough above 6.0, and only two better in 8.5. It took years of searching to find my copy, which has better PQ and eye appeal than the 8.0. :grin:

action%20242_zpsgwwdqkgh.jpg

It will be interesting to see what the 8.0 Action 242 brings today on eBay. It was at $8k last I checked.

I think it has a good shot at breaking $10k. Super tough above 6.0, and only two better in 8.5. It took years of searching to find my copy, which has better PQ and eye appeal than the 8.0. :grin:

Nice book Andy.

So hard to find this book period in any condition.

Congrats!!

Can someone post a link to the book?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACTION-COMICS-242-CGC-8-0-1ST-APP-OF-BRAINIAC-KANDAR-SUPER-RARE-HIGH-GRADE-/252075022509?hash=item3ab0d798ad

From the Seller: "I BOUGHT THIS A FEW YEARS AGO AT A COMIC CON, FROM A HIGH END DEALER, I LOOKED EVERY WHERE FOR A COPY THIS GRADE OR HIGHER, I HAVE NEVER SEEN A COPY AT THIS GRADE FOR SELL,THE COLORS ON THE COVER MAKE IT VERY HARD, VERY IMPORTANT ISSUE, YOU WILL NOT FIND A HIGHER GRADE ANYWHERE."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACTION-COMICS-242-CGC-8-0-1ST-APP-OF-BRAINIAC-KANDAR-SUPER-RARE-HIGH-GRADE-/252075022509?hash=item3ab0d798ad

8.0 seems generous to me.

That is one weak 8.0. Andy's copy is a tight 7.0, and the other is just a strict 6.5, maybe 7.0, dressed up as an 8.0.

I would like to request that grading team for all of my future submissions....... lol

Looking at when it was graded, the significant overgrade makes sense. CGC was in a looser cycle back then.

Edited by kimik

That is one weak 8.0. Andy's copy is a tight 7.0, and the other is just a strict 6.5, maybe 7.0, dressed up as an 8.0.

I would like to request that grading team for all of my future submissions....... lol

Looking at when it was graded, the significant overgrade makes sense. CGC was in a looser cycle back then.

CGC is just bad with this book for whatever reason. Label ain't always right especially on higher graded copies of this book.

Maybe you should sell your copy once you see the realized price ;)

CGC is just bad with this book for whatever reason. Label ain't always right especially on higher graded copies of this book.

CGC generally goes a touch easier on books that are notoriously difficult, Whether on purpose or they just unconsciously recognize it to be a tough book is hard to say.

That's been my experience when submitting books that are impossible in grade.

True enough, but they were pretty bad with loose grades all through 2013. I had a lot of gift graded books from the 2013 through early 2014 timeframe that I sold as a result of that. I still have a couple (check out the Batman #181 in my sig line as an example) that I kept since my entry price was so low and they are harder to find in higher grades.

CGC generally goes a touch easier on books that are notoriously difficult, Whether on purpose or they just unconsciously recognize it to be a tough book is hard to say.

True, but look at Andy's copy vs. this one. There is no comparison in which one had the tighter grading.

True, but look at Andy's copy vs. this one. There is no comparison in which one had the tighter grading.

I bought mine already slabbed, but it was graded this past June...and they have apparently been very tough lately. If I wanted to sell it (I don't) I would definitely try for a bump at some later date. Other than Bedrock/DM's 8.5 it's the nicest copy I have ever seen hands down, regardless of what the labels might say.