• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comprehensive List of DC Universe Logo UPC Variants
18 18

2,170 posts in this topic

On 12/10/2023 at 10:52 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I can definitely confirm all of these with the exception of the Robin #14 NS. I do have the embossed that came in the Trokia Set. 

I would also like confirmation if anyone can confirm.  My notes say it does but typically when I have one I don't own and I make a note it exists I add a link to my source with a photo or whatever it is for future reference.  That I didn't move it into my rumored to exist tab makes me suspect I once saw a picture or something but it's possible I confused it with Robin #12 which I also do not have and that one does definitely exist.

Possible Variants Speculation for 1995, Part 2 (April through July 1995)

Pretty sure I haven't missed anything for these months, but please tell me if I did.  I'll follow up with the last half of 1995 when I can. You can view the post on January 1995-March 1995 here.

Spoiler

April 1995
(17 Known DCUs/Multipack Variants (count includes 2 versions of Flash #100),  3 confirmed from a box set, 8 confirmed from a 2 pack)

Azrael #3: Unlikely; only known DCUs start at #15
Batman Adventures #31: Likely, would fill gap between BA#30 Bat Signal and BA#32 DCU *
Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight #70: Unlikely, last known DCU is #63 from storyline set
Batman: Shadow of the Bat #37: Possible; would help fill the gap between #35 Deluxe and #38)
Blood Syndicate #25: Unlikely; no proof that Blood Syndicate #16 or #17 exists (Worlds Collide)
Catwoman #20: Possible, would fill some of the gap between #19 to #31
Damage #12: Extremely unlikely; only known multipack variant is a Damage #0 DCU collected in a Best of ‘94 Box Set (when all other #0 Zero Hour issues had Zero Hour UPC logos)
Green Arrow #96: Extremely unlikely; only known DCUs are #110-#11 from storyline set
Hardware #26: Unlikely; last known multipack variant is Hardware #17 (Worlds Collide)
Icon #24: Unlikely; last known multipack variants are #15-#16 (Worlds Collide) 
Impulse #1: Possible, 1st known DCU is #3 from a box set
Legionnaires #24: Possible; would fill some of the gap between #22 and #25
Star Trek #70: Unlikely; last known multipack variant is #6
Star Trek: The Next Generation #70: Unlikely; last known multipack variant is #63
Static #22: Unlikely; no proof that Static #14 exists (Worlds Collide)

* As there is an unbroken run of Batman Adventures multipack variants (to include bat signal logos) starting from #14 through #30, and #32, #33, #35, and #36 are all confirmed to exist, the only question for me is whether BA #31 will be found as a DCU or a Bat Signal Logo. 

Beyond Batman Adventures, I think Catwoman #20, Legionnaires #24, and possibly Impulse #1 are good ones to consider, though I feel as if Impulse #1 would already have been found by now given it is a #1 issue.

May 1995
(17 Known DCUs/Multipack Variants, 6 confirmed from a 2 pack)

Azrael #4: Unlikely; only known DCUs start at #15
Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight #71: Unlikely, last known DCU is #63 from storyline set
Blood Syndicate #26: Unlikely; no proof that Blood Syndicate #16 or #17 exists (Worlds Collide)
Hardware #27: Unlikely; last known multipack variant is Hardware #17 (Worlds Collide)
Icon #25: Unlikely; last known multipack variants are #15-#16 (Worlds Collide) 
Impulse #2: Possible, 1st known DCU is #3 from a box set
Star Trek #71: Unlikely; last known multipack variant is #6
Star Trek: The Next Generation #71: Unlikely; last known multipack variant is #63
Superman #100 Deluxe Edition: Possible; non-deluxe #100 DCU exists
Superman: Man of Steel, Annual #4: Possible; Annual #3 DCU exists
Static #22: Unlikely; no proof that Static #14 exists (Worlds Collide)

Not a whole lot of remaining possibilities for this month.  Several other pairs of Deluxe/ non-Deluxe releases have DCUs so I don’t eliminate the possibility of Superman #100 Deluxe, however I think it’s fairly consistent that when there are both versions as DCUs, the deluxe version was released in a boxed set (for example, Green Lantern #81, Flash #100) versus the non-deluxe version being presumably released in a 2 pack.  

June 1995
(20 Known DCUs/Multipack Variants, 5 confirmed from a box set, 10 confirmed from a 10-pack brick, 1 confirmed from a 2 pack)

Batman Adventures, Annual #2: Possible but unlikely; DCUs of this series do exist
Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight #72: Unlikely, last known DCU is #63 from storyline set
Batman: Shadow of the Bat #39: Possible; last known DCU is #38
Blood Syndicate #27: Unlikely; no proof that Blood Syndicate #16 or #17 exists (Worlds Collide)
Catwoman #21: Possible, would fill some of the gap between #19 to #31
Damage #13: Extremely unlikely; only known multipack variant is a Damage #0 DCU collected in a Best of ‘94 Box Set (when all other #0 Zero Hour issues had Zero Hour UPC logos)
Green Arrow #97: Extremely unlikely; only known DCUs are #110-#11 from storyline set
Guy Gardner #31: Possible; last known DCU is #28
Hardware #28: Unlikely; last known multipack variant is Hardware #17 (Worlds Collide)
Icon #26: Unlikely; last known multipack variants are #15-#16 (Worlds Collide) 
Justice League America #100: Possible, would fill part of gap between #99-#107
Justice League Task Force #24: Possible, would fill part of gap between #23-#32
Star Trek #72: Unlikely; last known multipack variant is #63
Star Trek: The Next Generation #72: Unlikely; last known multipack variant is #63
Static #23: Unlikely; no proof that Static #14 exists (Worlds Collide)
Steel #16: Possible, would fill in gap between #15 & #17

Now June 1995 is an interesting month as it is the only month known to have a brick (10 pack, not the typical 20) from 1995.  Given that there are exactly 20 known DCUs from this month, there is certainly also the possibility that a 20 pack brick was planned or released and we just haven’t seen it.  If I were to say which other issues are worth looking for, I’d mention Steel #16 as the most likely.
July 1995
(13 Known DCUs/Multipack Variants (including 1 Bat Signal Logo), 11 confirmed from a box set, 1 confirmed released in a shrinkwrapped multipack)

Animaniacs #3: Possible, would fill the gap between #2 and #4
Aquaman #10: Possible, would fill part of gap between #9 and #21
Aquaman, Annual #2: Unlikely however other Year One storyline DCU annuals exist
Azrael #6: Unlikely; only known DCUs start at #15
Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight #73: Unlikely, last known DCU is #63 from storyline set
Batman: Shadow of the Bat #40: Possible; last known DCU is #38
Blood Syndicate #28: Unlikely; no proof that Blood Syndicate #16 or #17 exists (Worlds Collide)
Catwoman #22: Possible, would fill some of the gap between #19 to #31
Damage #14: Extremely unlikely; only known multipack variant is a Damage #0 DCU collected in a Best of ‘94 Box Set (when all other #0 Zero Hour issues had Zero Hour UPC logos)
Flash #103: Possible; Flash #102 exists, as does Flash #104.
Green Arrow #98: Extremely unlikely; only known DCUs are #110-#11 from storyline set
Guy Gardner #32: Possible; last known DCU is #28
Guy Gardner, Annual #1: Unlikely however other Year One storyline DCU annuals exist
Hardware #29: Unlikely; last known multipack variant is Hardware #17 (Worlds Collide)
Icon #27: Unlikely; last known multipack variants are #15-#16 (Worlds Collide) 
Impulse #4: Possible, #3 exists from a box set
Justice League America #101: Possible, would fill part of gap between #99-#107
Justice League Task Force #25: Possible, would fill part of gap between #23-#32
Legionnaires #27: Possible, would fill gap between #26 and #29
Looney Tunes #16: Possible; last known DCU is #15
Power of Shazam #5: Possible; would fill gap between #4 and #12
Star Trek #73: Unlikely; last known multipack variant is #63
Star Trek: The Next Generation #73: Unlikely; last known multipack variant is #63
Static #24: Unlikely; no proof that Static #14 exists (Worlds Collide)
Superboy #17: Possible, would fill gap between #17 and #20
Superman, Annual #17: Unlikely however other Year One storyline DCU annuals exist
Wonder Woman #99: Possible, would fill part of gap between #98 and #101
Wonder Woman #100 (2 versions): Possible, but I feel like this would have been found by now (would fill part of gap between #98 and #101)

It is worth knowing that there is not a single multipack variant this month that is not known to have been released via box set with the exception of Steel #17 DCU (and technically Batman: Two-Face: Crime and Punishment TPB which has a Bat Signal Logo version and was released in a shrinkwrapped multipack for Batman Forever).  Steel #17 drives me absolutely BONKERS.

5 months in 1995 to go!

Edited by L.E. Gill

On 12/11/2023 at 8:15 AM, Cpt Kirk said:

Detective 675 has two DCU Universe versions (premium and regular).

Action Comics 700 has two DC Universe versions (premium and regular)

Detective 674 has two DC Universe versions (the covers are identical, but one version says "Collector's Pack First Printing" in the indicia, and the other version doesn't have that statement in the indicia).  Superman Man of Steel 30 also has this same two variations.  

Thanks!  I had those details for those three pairs.  They are part of the next group of issues I'm trying to get clarified in my notes.

On 12/10/2023 at 11:52 PM, L.E. Gill said:
  • Batman #515 DCU - Both a Deluxe & Non-Deluxe Version exists (one is embossed other is not)
  • Batman #531 - Both a Deluxe & Non Deluxe Version Exists (I think both have glow in the dark features, one has Batman & Deadman back-to-back and the other looks more like they are fighting/facing each other)
  • Detective #682 - Both a Deluxe & Non Deluxe Version Exists (one is embossed/ other is a DCU of the 'Newsstand issue')
  • Flash #100 - Both a Deluxe & Non Deluxe Version Exists (one is foiled/ other is a DCU of the 'Newsstand issue')
  • Green Lantern #81 - Both a Deluxe & Non Deluxe Version Exists (one is embossed/ other is a DCU of the 'Newsstand issue')
  • Robin #14 - Both a Deluxe & Non Deluxe Version Probably Exists (one is embossed (DEFINITELY EXISTS)/ other is a DCU of the 'Newsstand issue' and it is on my list but I am trying to confirm)
  • Superman: The Wedding Album #1 - Both a Deluxe & Non Deluxe Version Exists (one is the non-deluxe DCU that show Superman carrying Lois and the other is an all white cover with DCU logo on the back)

Physically own all of the above except Flash #100 'Non-Deluxe/Newsstand" DCU and Robin #14 Newsstand DCU.

Thanks for all the great details!  I kept looking last night and was thinking that Flash #100 wasn't embossed vs non-embossed, but wasn't sure if it was holofoil vs non-holofoil.  Thanks for the confirm.  For the Batman #531, comics.org suggests that the regular issue isn't glow-in-the-dark.  Put your copies under a light and then into a dark room and let us know for sure! :foryou:

Batman531.thumb.jpg.25b1c1ae8912417c38d1007968380f1f.jpg

@L.E. Gill Thanks for your information about Impulse #10 ! Also for the source of #3. As you have seen from the list I sent you in March, I had it listed in the Best of '95 Set, but never thought of it being the DCU Variant.

Confirmation of the Robin #14 Newsstand issue ? I can only offer this:

http://atomicavenue.com/atomic/IssueDetail.aspx?ID=629975

Bye,

Archi

On 12/11/2023 at 9:40 PM, Warlord said:

Thanks for all the great details!  I kept looking last night and was thinking that Flash #100 wasn't embossed vs non-embossed, but wasn't sure if it was holofoil vs non-holofoil.  Thanks for the confirm.  For the Batman #531, comics.org suggests that the regular issue isn't glow-in-the-dark.  Put your copies under a light and then into a dark room and let us know for sure! :foryou:

Batman531.thumb.jpg.25b1c1ae8912417c38d1007968380f1f.jpg

I carefully checked my Batman 531's.  The DCU version of the glow-in-the-dark edition does indeed have the glow-in-the-dark stuff on the cover, just like it's non-DCU counterpart.   And the DCU variant of the Standard edition is not glow-in-the-dark

On 12/22/2023 at 4:53 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Got these 2 today for $9 total at an LCS:

IMG_0222.thumb.JPG.6e761ea867ef4329c6873f50afdb7fb9.JPG

IMG_0227.thumb.JPG.c37eeffd25a2f00959f3dd1e1e9cbdd0.JPG

Is this 515 generally harder to find than the black embossed version? I'm not seeing any for sale or sold on eBay currently. I'll be honest, I'm still not completely up on my DCU logo books, so when I see them for relatively cheap I usually just grab them and ask questions later...

Edited by Jesse-Lee

On 12/22/2023 at 10:52 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Is this 515 generally harder to find than the black embossed version? I'm not seeing any for sale or sold on eBay currently. I'll be honest, I'm still not completely up on my DCU logo books, so when I see them for relatively cheap I usually just grab them and ask questions later...

yes, I think the 515 regular DCU is harder than the embossed.   But with a little patience you can find it for sure.

After hunting for a couple months here’s what I’ve been able to pick up so far locally. 

Action Comics: 700, 

Adventures of Superman: 508, 514, 518, 

Batman adventures: 17, 32

Flash: 96

Green lantern: 51 (1sr and 2nd print)

Man of Steel: 34, 35, 37, 40, 43, 

Showcase94’: #9

Superboy: 1, 11, 20

Superman: 92, 99

Wonder Woman: 86

On 12/28/2023 at 11:46 AM, shadroch said:

Were these priced as DCU books or just generic batbooks.  

They didn't specifically call out the DCU logo, but the 515 was $12 and the 532 was $6, and the store was having a 50% off back issue sale. Based on the pricing, I assume they were given a price bump due to the DCU logos.

On 1/4/2024 at 8:09 PM, ArcherC said:

Super late to the DCU party, but I stumbled upon this thread, read all 106 pages, then have been started actively seeking these books!

I came across these at a local flea market... as with most collecting, it's about the hunt!

dcu1.jpg

Welcome to the party! and the insanity...lol!  I've been doing this for 12 years and there were times when I thought I had every single DCU in the titles of Batman, Detective Comics, Adv of Superman, Superman, Action Comics and Justice League.  But have since found out thru these boards that I'm missing a Detective 693 and Adv of Superman 523.   If  you find one of those in FN or better, please let me know.  The regular and newsstand editions of those comic books are worth next to nothing, and you will probably find the DCU variants of those issues for 3 or 4 dollars in a back-issue bin (or your big brother's closet).   But they will be worth more than a few hundred dollars to you if you give me a chance to buy them.

Edited by Cpt Kirk