• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comprehensive List of DC Universe Logo UPC Variants
18 18

2,162 posts in this topic

On 2/3/2024 at 9:05 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

If I have to have it stuck in my head, so do all of you:

Great find.   And I'm glad I don't recognize that song, and there's no way I'm going to hit the "play" button.  That's the last thing I need going thru my head on a Monday... xD

On 12/5/2023 at 3:39 PM, Cryptic Collectibles said:

Adding a couple Superboy #9 stickered variants to the list.

The first two pictures are from an eBay auction.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.e4d784695dbef93c67f0113072030bf0.jpgs-l1600.thumb.jpg.68b30c8462c2453a9a78d9c347f2a30c.jpg

This next one is our eBay listing

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.9389d2cc71ea2b949958d1be88cdf18a.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/166465631209

This stickered variant is fascinating to me because up until now we have only seen this particular DCU issue released as part of the slightly harder November 20 pack (brick).  I have multiple confirmed examples of 20 packs which have substituted a Newsstand barcode when a DCU printed version was not available (as opposed to a stickered version) but never a 20 pack with a stickered version.  This does lend credence to the possibility that a 2 pack containing Superboy #9 DCU may exist and I would love to see a sealed example, stickered or not.  I'd also love to see a 20 pack with an obvious stickered edition included.  Please share your 2 pack and 20 pack pics.

I've updated the DC Collector's Set 2 pack Image Gallery with a handful of new sets and a few date corrections I've discovered between November and now.  Nothing particularly groundbreaking just a couple of 2 packs, mostly of the non-DCU/ 2nd print variety,  You can view it here,

On 2/5/2024 at 8:19 PM, L.E. Gill said:

This stickered variant is fascinating to me because up until now we have only seen this particular DCU issue released as part of the slightly harder November 20 pack (brick).  I have multiple confirmed examples of 20 packs which have substituted a Newsstand barcode when a DCU printed version was not available (as opposed to a stickered version) but never a 20 pack with a stickered version.  This does lend credence to the possibility that a 2 pack containing Superboy #9 DCU may exist and I would love to see a sealed example, stickered or not.  I'd also love to see a 20 pack with an obvious stickered edition included.  Please share your 2 pack and 20 pack pics.

I've updated the DC Collector's Set 2 pack Image Gallery with a handful of new sets and a few date corrections I've discovered between November and now.  Nothing particularly groundbreaking just a couple of 2 packs, mostly of the non-DCU/ 2nd print variety,  You can view it here,

I too have never seen a stickered DCU variant in a 20 pack.   I have seen them in 2-packs.  Furthermore, I found a Superman 104 stickered DCU in the Superman Greatest Foes pack.

On 3/29/2024 at 12:19 PM, Warlord said:

New finds!  Robin #22 came from hunting through a TON of dollar longboxes with unsorted comics at an LCS this week.  Appears to be a rarer one because I don't seem to be able to spot any other example currently on ebay as active or sold. Regardless, it's a new addition for my collection!!!  :banana: Steel #7 is an upgrade.  The Star Trek #62 (which the DCU purists among you may not care about) is a not-HTF issue but still finally filled a hole in my collection, both it and Steel found courtesy of ebay.  The two DC bullets (again, DCU purists won't care  ;)) were duplicates encountered in the longbox searching that came home with me too.

PXL_20240328_182251715.thumb.jpg.eb3432ef52c51a1fa03e2e2c971b4e53.jpg

PXL_20240328_182340420.jpg.729e74d27e2506e52eb3bfb2b6ed4e5f.jpg

Congratulations on the finds. The robin can be found in one of the boxed sets. (There are 3 versions.  )

20210620_125339.jpg.d35a8a5a985c8dd80a351ed11a6861f8.jpg

On 3/29/2024 at 10:28 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Congratulations on the finds. The robin can be found in one of the boxed sets. (There are 3 versions.  )

20210620_125339.jpg.d35a8a5a985c8dd80a351ed11a6861f8.jpg

Nice 6-pack!  Thanks for the info.  Somehow I've now found all of those issues except Robin #21.  Generally the comics from the 6 to 20-packs haven't seemed as hard to find, but issues can be hit or miss like that, at least when most of your collection comes from boxes of random overstock.

On 3/29/2024 at 10:45 PM, Warlord said:

Nice 6-pack!  Thanks for the info.  Somehow I've now found all of those issues except Robin #21.  Generally the comics from the 6 to 20-packs haven't seemed as hard to find, but issues can be hit or miss like that, at least when most of your collection comes from boxes of random overstock.

I was looking at the Robin collector's sets and noticed that, instead of unique issues, the sets contain overlapping runs of issues. What were they thinking?  The overlap issues are Robin #18-20 and Robin Annual #4.  I have all four of these issues in my collection.  Of the issues that don't overlap but appeared in just one of the two sets, I have only #15 and #22, so I'm missing #16 and #21.  Due to appearing in two boxed sets, assuming that the same number of each boxed sets were made and sold, you could conclude that Robin #18-20 and Robin Annual #4 should be twice as common as Robin #15, #16, #21, and #22.  My results suggest that's not a completely unrealistic assumption. hm

These are the only two Robin boxed sets I've seen.  Were there any other Robin boxed sets or bundles?

image.thumb.png.ff8f08a715be1fa1c6f3c1a6887fc6fa.png

The Robin issues have set me to thinking about which DCU issues are rarer or harder to find.  I've been wondering if the issues in some date ranges or certain months are any harder to find than others.  So I've done some analysis of all the DCUs that exist per my list (558 issues) vs those that I've found for my collection (393).  Excluding a handful of issues where I don't have a month/year date (some annuals and oddballs listed below), here's a look at how my collection has developed.  As I've noted in previous comments, my collection is perhaps 95+% sourced from LCS and conventions (plus a couple odd lots of ebay comics with some random DCUs) where I've bought whatever issues I encountered.  Those that I've sought out specifically, such as searching for and buying an issue on ebay, have been the exception by far.

I've made a couple observations from this analysis.  First, January through August 1994 are extremely well represented in my collection.  I've found about 150 of 158 issues. But then the last three months of 1994 stand in stark contrast.  I've only found about two-thirds of the Sept-Nov issues, and then only three of the Dec 1994 issues.  Of the months with any significant number of DCU issues, that is quite the outlier month.

The 1995 issues are all reasonably represented in my collection, with perhaps a slight under-representation of the May, June, and November issues.

The 1996 issues generally seem under-represented in my collection too.  I've done well with March through May but January and February appear to be giving me some trouble, and I'm doing only about 60% or so for the second half of the year.

Then, of course, there's 1997 issues of which I have none.  But there are only five 1997 issues, so for the moment I'm not making too much of that outcome.

I don't think my personal experiences can be extrapolated to form any conclusions.  However, I'd be interested in hearing from the peanut gallery on whether your collecting experiences or observations align with or differ with these results.   For instance, what about those December 1994 issues?  Are they really that tough, or am I just looking in the wrong boxes? :)

image.thumb.png.68a0c5db60afb0d7bedd6aa4cb9cd482.png

I need to nail down appropriate month/year of publication for these five issues... LMK if you can provide that info!

image.png.0fd40d0479b7f30e40d846d6940d90de.png

On 4/2/2024 at 9:41 PM, Warlord said:

I was looking at the Robin collector's sets and noticed that, instead of unique issues, the sets contain overlapping runs of issues. What were they thinking?  The overlap issues are Robin #18-20 and Robin Annual #4.  I have all four of these issues in my collection.  Of the issues that don't overlap but appeared in just one of the two sets, I have only #15 and #22, so I'm missing #16 and #21.  Due to appearing in two boxed sets, assuming that the same number of each boxed sets were made and sold, you could conclude that Robin #18-20 and Robin Annual #4 should be twice as common as Robin #15, #16, #21, and #22.  My results suggest that's not a completely unrealistic assumption. hm

These are the only two Robin boxed sets I've seen.  Were there any other Robin boxed sets or bundles?

image.thumb.png.ff8f08a715be1fa1c6f3c1a6887fc6fa.png

Here is the third set of robin.20210620_125558.thumb.jpg.23a6f50519e391b116305bef5ade0fe4.jpg