• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

Great "mood" on this one with the walking dead

comamazinghoststories15_zpsgfgx3e8w.jpg

RM, great show :applause: , super books, some i have either never seen, or noticed before. A great artist is a great artist, a great cover is a great cover, (though he has some coveted non romance stand outs- Phantom Lady, some select Crime covers) i can't understand why more of these are not as sought after or discussed at the same level of interest as his romance work. (shrug)

Love the war cover with the flame thrower :o too

With this one (Living dead cover?) and some of the other covers you posted, he was on territory most covered by fellow golden age African American artist A.C. Hollingsworth (who could render a good girl or two himself, sometimes in 'Bakerish' fashion). Just cool examples. The Wild Boy 14 is a personal fave, i have upgraded copies a few times and now have a really nice example. Such detail on that one, and he signed it too :cloud9:

Wild Boy 15 is also a fave ( i consider it the 'brother' cover to it's 'sister'(under water cover, human vs. animal action) Seven Seas 4.

Thanks for posting (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u

Edited by Sagii

Thanks Corey. Hopefully this is what you had in mind. Being a horror head, I really love these. Too bad they are pretty tame inside. Ya know, I was so totally focused on St. John, I totally for got about Phantom Lady. Numbers 16 and 17 are my personal favorites. I've got most of them. Maybe somebody else will post some of his Fox work that I missed.

I have another of your subset requests in the can for a future date. I am sure you will recognize it.

I am open to suggestions to the rest of you people out there in comic book land if anyone has a request for a future subset.

giwithwonder_zpsih0e1cmk.jpg

Interesting pic. Wonder what the story is behind it? hm

Great photos robot man!

The photo description from Corbis images is:

Story-Teller Becomes Enchanted

February 2, 1945

Stephen Schaeffer, New York City, becomes enchanted with his own story as he reads from a comic book to two hill-dwelling Kachin youngsters. A pile of the comic books, carried by liason personnel with the Chinese Army keeping the Japanese clear of the link between the Stilweel and Burma Roads, is between the threesome waiting to be read.

The flea market gods were very good to me today. Got up early and scored some VERY nice condition pulps. The seller had 'em on the bay at pretty high prices and they didn't sell. So I was surprised to see a large stack in his booth for a 10 spot apiece. I love Finlay and Paul, the condition was spot on and cheap. Had to jump. I got out early though because it was close to 100 degrees here today. I bought a pretty good pile but these were my favorites.

pulpfantasticoct41_zpst0wpw1wq.jpg