• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

And this was the lucky deal of the day. You know when you go to a con and all the vintage comic sellers are usually all in one area? Then there are the people selling fake weapons, T-Shirts and new stuff. Well, every once in a while there is some poor soul selling some comics stuck in this mess. Well, I found this guy. He didn't have very much. Maybe 6 or 8 short boxes on his table and some modern slabs. I almost walked buy but something told me to look in his $5. box. The only old comic he had. I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough.

I have never seen or heard of this one. It is a Canadian Seven Seas #2. This issue prints the cover for the US #5. Not sure which issue the insides are but they are full color and appear to be just like the US edition. Anybody ever see one or know which issue the contents are from?

This one made my day!

comsevenseas2canada1_zps3c2ebthc.jpg

comsevenseas2canada2_zpseizzjcjt.jpg

According to Grand Comics Database, Canadian Seven Seas #2 (only one issue in series) reprints US Seven Seas #4. Also states "Reprints the cover to issue #5 of the U.S. comic Seven Seas Comics (Universal Phoenix, 1946 series) and apparently has the interiors to issue #4, but this needs to be confirmed from the actual comic."

http://www.comics.org/issue/271452/

I have a raw SS #5 and I verified that "Murder goes native" is not in SS #5. My SS #4 is slabbed. :sick:

Congratulations on the great find.

Here's something you don't ever see here. I like these because they are actually functual. I wear them sometimes at work and always get a question. I don't actively seek them anymore but when one comes my way for a good price I jump on them.

1933 Mickey Mouse. Working with original box. I love the die cut chrome band.

mickeywatchbox30s_zpseijg1vxs.jpg

And this was the lucky deal of the day. You know when you go to a con and all the vintage comic sellers are usually all in one area? Then there are the people selling fake weapons, T-Shirts and new stuff. Well, every once in a while there is some poor soul selling some comics stuck in this mess. Well, I found this guy. He didn't have very much. Maybe 6 or 8 short boxes on his table and some modern slabs. I almost walked buy but something told me to look in his $5. box. The only old comic he had. I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough.

I have never seen or heard of this one. It is a Canadian Seven Seas #2. This issue prints the cover for the US #5. Not sure which issue the insides are but they are full color and appear to be just like the US edition. Anybody ever see one or know which issue the contents are from?

This one made my day!

comsevenseas2canada1_zps3c2ebthc.jpg

comsevenseas2canada2_zpseizzjcjt.jpg

According to Grand Comics Database, Canadian Seven Seas #2 (only one issue in series) reprints US Seven Seas #4. Also states "Reprints the cover to issue #5 of the U.S. comic Seven Seas Comics (Universal Phoenix, 1946 series) and apparently has the interiors to issue #4, but this needs to be confirmed from the actual comic."

http://www.comics.org/issue/271452/

I have a raw SS #5 and I verified that "Murder goes native" is not in SS #5. My SS #4 is slabbed. :sick:

Congratulations on the great find.

Those Canadians! Putting the cover of 5 on the interior of 4! doh!

Tremendous find for $5, though.

Here is my Web of Mystery #5 and Manhunt #2. I don't have the Black Cat Mystery #33 and Zip #13 photo'ed and in my bucket... I know there is a crazy very late issue of Capt. Marvel Jr. wild a wild electric chair cover. Too hard to dig out right now.

It's issue 119 -- the last issue. I think it was meant as an in-joke, since the Fawcett books had literally been condemned to die by the DC lawsuit.

A small grouping of other cool character watches. 1930's to 1950's.

characterwatches_zpsyhfidocd.jpg

Glad I made 'time' to check in and 'watch' what you were doing today lol

Love it RM, all great classic time pieces, especially the Mickey, but the one on the lower right is my fave :applause:

Bob, your collection never ceases to amaze me. The scope is just fantastic. You should buy the house next door to you so you can use it for display and storage--I know two guys who have done that. You really do seem to have some examples of every category. Congratulations!

A rare one from late 1940's

lilabnerwatchbox_zpsjovmhst3.jpg

:applause:(worship)

All these are great RM, but this one really appeals.

Now, the box blurb indicates it's an "Animated wrist watch" , but I confess I cannot see anything on the watch that would move - other than the regular hands.

Is this just a bit of marketing hyperbole or am I missing something? (shrug)

Mr. Robotman might have a sense of the answer to this question. Maybe it's answered elsewhere and ya'll can tell me where:

Which comic-book characters (i.e., native to comic books) earned a radio show?

I ask b/c as part of my daily OTR listening, I hopped on to a program of Hop Harrigan (first appearance in All American Comics # 1)

So, my list so far is:

Hop Harrigan

Superman

Archie Andrews

The Blue Beetle

and ...?

Sidebar:

The obvious omission here is Batman who never got his own radio series. Here's a rundown of that history from: http://www.oldtimeradioshows.com/2013/06/batman-in-old-time-radio.html

"While Superman enjoyed a great deal of success on the radio, Batman remained a side-kick for Superman, joining the series in Sept 1945 (years before the two heroes would pair in the comic pages) and sometimes taking over the story later in the series (to allow Superman star Bud Collyer some vacation time). Some have conjectured that the Batman/Superman tie-in was intended as promotion for a proposed Batman radio program that was under development in 1943, but never made it to the air.

Batman and Robin did make an audition program in 1950, The Batman Mystery Club, and Batman fans will breathe a sigh of relief that the project died a quiet death. (The Batman Mystery Club broadcast can be heard in the Adventure Detectives Rarities Collection.)

The audition opens with Robin calling to order the "103rd meeting" of the club, and introducing Batman, also known as Bruce Wayne. "ALSO KNOWN AS BRUCE WAYNE????" One of the basic tenets of the Superhero genre is the protection of the hero's identity, but here Batman is "outted" in the first minute of the program. Perhaps that is OK because the Club is for kids (they can be trusted) and he is not chasing bad guys, but debunking ghost and supernatural stories. Batman sounds more like a stuffy old man than a dashing playboy or dynamic crime fighter. As the meeting progresses Batman exposes the hokum used in a fake séance and then begins the main tale of the evening.

Bruce Wayne and Robin travel to England to visit the estate of Sir Alfred Dumphrey (not Alfred Pennyworth, trusted butler and confidant of Batman and Robin). We learn that Sir Alfred wants to sell his manor, but cannot find a buyer because the place is "Haunted". To prove that the fear is ridiculous Sir Alfred locks himself in "the Death Chamber" but promises to keep talking so his guests will know he is all right. He comments how stuffy and close the room feels. When the closed room goes silent the door is opened, revealing Sir Alfred's body, but Bruce Wayne will allow no one to enter.

He points out that no one but Sir Alfred could have entered the room, and then ends his story, promising to reveal the solution to the mystery in the next meeting, which, perhaps fortunately, was never recorded."

That show is available here - http://www.oldradioworld.com/shows/Batman.php