• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

I got a request for a subset from someone for today's. (You know who you are when you see this). I was asked for a Matt Baker non-romance subset. I have a lot of his non-romance work but because I like 'em and the guy who requested it is also a Crime fiend like me, I thought I'd do these. Enjoy!

comauthpolicecases6_zps2kjaknyk.jpg

"Crime fiend," eh? So how exactly did you obtain these books? hm

Like I always do, with my wallet.

Seems to me I have seen a brochure or flyer with Buster and the Kid in it and maybe a Pinback button with Buster Brown with a 1904 date on it years ago. But, I don't know that for a fact anymore. Yellow Kid would be the authority on this though. There could be stuff so rare that even he hasn't seen it though. That is what makes this hobby so fun. Most of the fairs had the comic characters of the time represented one way or another.

The first thing the Brown Shoe Company published was the 1904 "Brown's Blue Ribbon Book of Jokes and Jingles" with Buster on the cover. Later that year they realized they were missing an opportunity and changed the title to "Buster Brown's Blue Ribbon Book of Jokes and Jingles." I just checked it and there is no reference to the fair. They also started publishing pinbacks, mirrors, etc., and I know I haven't seen it all so maybe there is a 1904 World's Fair Outcault item out there. I see several items every year that I have never seen before so I wouldn't bet against it.

I got a request for a subset from someone for today's. (You know who you are when you see this). I was asked for a Matt Baker non-romance subset. I have a lot of his non-romance work but because I like 'em and the guy who requested it is also a Crime fiend like me, I thought I'd do these. Enjoy!

comauthpolicecases6_zps2kjaknyk.jpg

"Crime fiend," eh? So how exactly did you obtain these books? hm

Like I always do, with my wallet

Always liked this series, but this was the only issue I ever bought.

<a  href=https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5341/8787220590_a581d35779_z.jpg' alt='8787220590_a581d35779_z.jpg'>IMG AUTHENTIC POLICE CASES #13

mm

comauthpolicecase29_zpsnhm717rk.jpg
:applause::applause::applause:

And you certainly didn't disappoint ( like you actually would/could lol ). These are sensational and a series I'm "spotty" on shamefully. I'm surprised with all the devoted Baker fans on the Boards there isn't more commentary (shrug) but, you just posted it today, tomorrow could bring out all the raves. These are as striking as his Romance work, and the chasers of Bakers best should soon spill over into this genre. The scenarios and word balloons are alluring in a different way than his Romance stuff. But as I said to you before, more time for me to snatch up overlooked gems before they catch fire.

Like the first two you posted, but I have three standouts for me. This one...

comauthpolicecase17_zpsw8il1k53.jpg
and this one, which is everything that makes crime comics cool depicted in the scenario. When I return to posting more regularly next month, I'll upload to the bucket my Baker stuff: Jungle books! Thanks again for posting RM (thumbs u

Thanks Corey. I knew you would appreciate these being a crime fan. I think the ship has sailed on getting these for a reasonable price any more. I know the last few I want will cost me way more than any of these did. I don't suppose that posting a thread like this will help any...

I am going to work on another one featuring the "other" genres Baker worked on. I don't think they really hold a candle to his romance or crime work but still some nice work. I like the crime stuff best because of content. But he did do some nice horror, jungle and western stuff as well. Heck, he also worked on Lassie and a beautiful Classics Illustrated issue or two as well.

Glad you liked them!

(The All True, All picture Police Cases is one of the real scarce Baker books)

Something fun and a little different today. When I'm out "junking" I always look in those boxes of photos and old photo albums. There are a TON of one of a kind photos out there in the world. They are always very cheap and some times you find so gems. Welcome to part one. Enjoy!

stevecanyonhelmet_zpseaclz3tk.jpg