• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

A number of the Crime Mysteries covers are swiped -- several from pulps.

Interesting one. Here's another Grand Larceny case: NOTE: These are NOT my books, just images i got from GCD.Champion Comics #10 (S&k?) Harvey, and years later Crime Mysteries #8 (Trojan).

IMG_2056_zpsihpbl4j0.jpg

A number of the Crime Mysteries covers are swiped -- several from pulps.

Interesting one. Here's another Grand Larceny case: NOTE: These are NOT my books, just images i got from GCD.Champion Comics #10 (S&k?) Harvey, and years later Crime Mysteries #8 (Trojan).

IMG_2056_zpsihpbl4j0.jpg

Would not mind seeing the inspiration for #3 and #4 if those two are in that number :popcorn:

I didn't even know about. They don't have a list of dealers so it might not even be worth traveling to. I didn't even go to the Long Beach show this weekend. Brad from F-VF was about the only dealers with any vintage material and I just saw him at Terry's show. Seems like we have cons every couple of weeks lately. I've yet to go to the Valley con yet. I suspect the vintage material would be a little slim there too. I have thought about getting a table though. Maybe I'm just psyched after doing so well at Terry's show. A month from now is WonderCon. I'll probably just save my bankroll for that one.

There seems to be a bit of re-newed interested in Barks Disney comics lately so I thought I'd share these.

These two volumes are bound Donald Duck Barks one shots. They were collected by a friend way back in the day. He bought most of them at Cherokee Book store and Collector's Book store in Hollywood, CA.

Back in the very early '70's collector interest was a lot different. GA DC superhero was king. A lot of the early books like Prince Valiant and Flash Gordon were worth as much as Action #1. The other real popular books were Barks Ducks and EC's.

My friend loved the Barks stuff and bought these and had them "gasp!" bound in hardback books when he completed the run. They are generally very nice shape other than the binding and trim. I found it amusing to see a light $6. price penciled on the first page of the FC #9.

He decided at one time, he could live without them and sold them to me at a very friendly price. I pounced on them when given the chance and have read them several times.

Kinda funny that when he was buying these, I was buying EC's and pre-code horror out of the "boxes in the hall" which were generally priced between 50 cents to 3 dollars. Oh, those were the days!

dduckboundvolume1_zpssilxjndl.jpg

There seems to be a bit of re-newed interested in Barks Disney comics lately so I thought I'd share these.

These two volumes are bound Donald Duck Barks one shots. They were collected by a friend way back in the day. He bought most of them at Cherokee Book store and Collector's Book store in Hollywood, CA.

Back in the very early '70's collector interest was a lot different. GA DC superhero was king. A lot of the early books like Prince Valiant and Flash Gordon were worth as much as Action #1. The other real popular books were Barks Ducks and EC's.

My friend loved the Barks stuff and bought these and had them "gasp!" bound in hardback books when he completed the run. They are generally very nice shape other than the binding and trim. I found it amusing to see a light $6. price penciled on the first page of the FC #9.

He decided at one time, he could live without them and sold them to me at a very friendly price. I pounced on them when given the chance and have read them several times.

Kinda funny that when he was buying these, I was buying EC's and pre-code horror out of the "boxes in the hall" which were generally priced between 50 cents to 3 dollars. Oh, those were the days!

dduckboundvolume1_zpssilxjndl.jpg

Very cool. I remember the days when dealers would write prices in pencil on books (often on the back cover). A carryover, I think, from the practice of used book dealers writing prices on a book's flyleaf.

It always intrigued me how some collectors loved to bind their comics, and others thought it was the kiss of death. Even at Collectors Bookstore, Malcolm bound many of his best comics (I think his MM and the Phantom Blot was in HA a couple of years ago.) while Leonard wouldn't think of doing that with his books.

The set you have is beautiful. Nice comics in bindings that still look great. They would be jewels in any collection.