• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

Found these in the "junk box". Almost forgot I had 'em. Thought you guys would enjoy seeing them.

1962 "Fink Buttons" all with art by Basil Wolverton! This is almost a complete set I think. Just classic stuff! This photo just doesn't capture the great detail on these.

finkbuttons_zpslc2q79dz.jpg

Awesome!

How about some "Big Hands" covers today? I can't find my copy of Marvel Family with the Big Commie Hand so feel free to post it or any others I've missed...

Here's a favorite. Sure would like to find an upgrade...

commarveltales130_zpsszdli9sj.jpg

Edited by Robot Man

OK, the other day I posted some "big hand" covers. Here is a similar related very small subset I just thought up. Two of them we are probably all familiar with. But...the third is a new purchase that arrived yesterday. Not many of you have probably seen. I know, I hadn't until I saw it. This area is still the "wild west" for great covers. Not many ways you can see them. I sure wish Gerber or somebody did a book for these...Sure is twisted!

comstrangetales14_zpsigsgjezd.jpg

The tale of the ten dollar Wonder Woman...

Several years ago my wife and I went to the Brimfield antique show. As we usually do, we fly into Philly on Friday AM. We get our rental van and hit the road up through PA Amish country. We have several areas and stops we always make. One is always Addamstown.

We spend the day picking all the malls and shops, go up the road to the Kutztown flea market on Saturday and hit Black Angus and Rettinger's flea markets on Sunday.

This particular time we both did real good finding great antiques and collectibles. But sadly, no comics...

After doing the Addamstown fleas, we hit the few shops we missed. Went into one that pretty much bored me. Full of antiques but nothing I wanted. Several years back I had found two 1920's Buddy L pressed steel trucks in a stall in the back so I headed to that stall. Again, not much but in the back was a large table piled with paper. Books, magazines and other paper stuff.

I spotted two of the nicest Flash Gordon BLB's I'd ever seen. I asked the guy how much and he said "Everything on the table is $10. each. Were just picked from an old house in the area". SCORE! I then proceeded to find a similar condition Snow White BLB and two Capt. Midnight early premium manuals and added them to the pile. But still no comics...

I got to the end and spotted what looked like a Fawcett comic book at the bottom. I carefully slid it out to find a real nice Spy Smasher #7. My heart was pounding when it revealed a Marvel Mystery #37 under it. God was smiling down on me laughing. At the bottom was this Wonder Woman. And that was all. The only 3 comics in the whole mess. My hands were shaking when I paid the guy and hit it.

Oh, we had a great Brimfield too and got a sizeable pile of nice GA from two other sellers.

Bottom of the pile for a 10 spot!

comwonderwoman2_zps6jjcyofu.jpg

The tale of the ten dollar Wonder Woman...

Several years ago my wife and I went to the Brimfield antique show. As we usually do, we fly into Philly on Friday AM. We get our rental van and hit the road up through PA Amish country. We have several areas and stops we always make. One is always Addamstown.

We spend the day picking all the malls and shops, go up the road to the Kutztown flea market on Saturday and hit Black Angus and Rettinger's flea markets on Sunday.

This particular time we both did real good finding great antiques and collectibles. But sadly, no comics...

After doing the Addamstown fleas, we hit the few shops we missed. Went into one that pretty much bored me. Full of antiques but nothing I wanted. Several years back I had found two 1920's Buddy L pressed steel trucks in a stall in the back so I headed to that stall. Again, not much but in the back was a large table piled with paper. Books, magazines and other paper stuff.

I spotted two of the nicest Flash Gordon BLB's I'd ever seen. I asked the guy how much and he said "Everything on the table is $10. each. Were just picked from an old house in the area". SCORE! I then proceeded to find a similar condition Snow White BLB and two Capt. Midnight early premium manuals and added them to the pile. But still no comics...

I got to the end and spotted what looked like a Fawcett comic book at the bottom. I carefully slid it out to find a real nice Spy Smasher #7. My heart was pounding when it revealed a Marvel Mystery #37 under it. God was smiling down on me laughing. At the bottom was this Wonder Woman. And that was all. The only 3 comics in the whole mess. My hands were shaking when I paid the guy and hit it.

Oh, we had a great Brimfield too and got a sizeable pile of nice GA from two other sellers.

Bottom of the pile for a 10 spot!

comwonderwoman2_zps6jjcyofu.jpg

This is where the line is crossed from "junk" to treasure.. Awesome score on Wonder Woman #2. :cloud9:

Edited by frozentundraguy