• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

Thanks for the report Bob, it was a lot of fun.

I heard several people refer to WonderCon as a "mini-San Diego". They either got boxed out for SDCC tickets or just don't want the hassle anymore.

Boardies were indeed everywhere - I enjoy the chats, meals, and deals so much.

Traffic and parking were better and easier than I expected.

Hot vintage books? Had to be Matt Baker covers (St. John) along with Bill Everett covers (Atlas). Wonder Woman SA books were flying out of the boxes. Bedrock had an entire wall of Gaines copies, otherwise nice EC's were in short supply.

Several dealers got stuck with poor locations that were too far off the beaten path, including Sal Zimmerman and Greg Reece - hopefully they can get better locations next year.

Overall, a very enjoyable show!

Here's my meager haul:

3afe5eac-83dd-44b6-8a76-caafc09ad6b3_zpsvcuocmxk.jpg

:applause:

I don't think the atmosphere has changed at all. You will always hear the whining that it sucks on Easter weekend or that it was better in San Francisco or Anahiem. I used to love it in SF but it's gone and ain't coming back. Next year it's back in Anahiem and not on Easter.

I am equal distance from LA or Anahiem so it doesn't matter to me. It did seem a little 'edgier" in LA which is cool. It was a good, tight show that you could almost do in one day if you were real focused. I would have liked a few more comic dealers but I managed to spend more than I should have with the ones that were there.

I heard a lot of people say that they are done with San Diego and this was it for them. Was a great alternative for me to and I would go to any of the 3 locations.

I "heard" that one dealer won't do a show in LA. Hopefully he will be back for the Anaheim show. I also "heard" that one or two will be back next year now that the Con is the weekend after Easter.

Me, I enjoy Anaheim a little bit more.

That looks like my stack. Are you sure you didn't get mixed up. :kidaround:

Here's my meager haul:

3afe5eac-83dd-44b6-8a76-caafc09ad6b3_zpsvcuocmxk.jpg

Were you there Adam? I would have like to meet the elusive Mr. Strange...

First, his people have to call your people, then background checks completed, non-disclosure forms signed, etc. Then, you will receive an untraceable phone call late at night with further instructions... Edited by Weird Paper

Thanks for a great report, Bob, it was almost like being there! I only remember one Disney from your pictures, which is sad, but a sign of the times.

At SVCC, Terry O'Neill was very happy to have just picked up something like WDCS 1-50 and a full run of Mickey Mouse Magazine.

Sure did Gino. Any chance I get to buy some books and share the joy of it with fellow collectors is truly a blessing at my age.

I was a little disappointed to see no MLJ, Ace, Fox, Prize or Speed Comics though. The kind of stuff in your sig line that we both like just doesn't seem to show up at shows any more. Nobody seems to have any for sale.

So, I set my sights a little lower and managed to still find a pretty good stack of the off the radar cool stuff I like anyway.

Between WonderCon, Sharon and Catrick on the boards and a nice little run of late number Jumbos, I'm in the poorhouse for a while...

I was a little disappointed to see no MLJ, Ace, Fox, Prize or Speed Comics though. The kind of stuff in your sig line that we both like just doesn't seem to show up at shows any more. Nobody seems to have any for sale.

I'll second this - these types of books were non-existent at the Con.

They seem to have been "discovered" by a lot of people now. The prices are very volital right now.Very hard to put a sale number on many of them because of this. When they turn up on Ebay they seem to go crazy.

I I were to sell mine (and I'm not), I would have to put them up for auction and let the market decide. Grade has very little or no factor on these either.

Annother little departure from the usual funny book fare today.

I re-discovered these recently in the junk pile. This is a very cool set of pinbacks put out by Kitchen Sink in the early 1970's. It is a very large set I believe. Here are some of mine. I'm sure some of you "old timers" might remember these.

One of my favorites

cartoonpincrumb_zpshbvhi5yd.jpg

Nice One! Got any more?

They seem to run alphabeticaly with the end of the alphabet the high numbers.

I wonder who would be first and who would be last.

Anybody else got some to show? Anybody got a full set?

Edited by Robot Man