• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

It's only treasure to us. I call it junk because 99% of the world's population think it is. This book was destined for the junk pile. It was even junk to the guy that sold it to me. He was smart enough to at least get a 10 spot for it. Try and take this book into 7-11 and see if they will give you a 6 pack for it. Chances are good you'll leave with the book...

It's only treasure to us. I call it junk because 99% of the world's population think it is. This book was destined for the junk pile. It was even junk to the guy that sold it to me. He was smart enough to at least get a 10 spot for it. Try and take this book into 7-11 and see if they will give you a 6 pack for it. Chances are good you'll leave with the book...

I'll give you a six-pack for it! Name your poison RM.

Great story and even better pickup! I'll be driving down through central Pennsylvania with my wife next week to visit her family in Virginia over Easter. Unfortunately not enough time to make any stops this trip. It's a 10 hour drive in one shot. We did get some nice stuff last summer at a mall near Altoona when we split the drive in two. Hoping will be able to explore more of PA later this year. I am definitely going to hit up my usual spots in Virginia next week since we will be there for 3 or 4 days.

"Chance Favors the Prepared Mind," "Knowledge is Power," etc. Robot Man proves once again that the old adages are true with his great finds. Timing is Everything," is my favorite, and he nailed it on those estate sale items!

Timing and luck are very important but persistance is the biggest key. I go out almost every weekend for a few hours in the morning. Most people are just getting there when I am leaving with the "spoils". I hit as many venues as possible and it's still pretty hard.

I was talking to Ted at SuperWorld about the Brimfield show. He knew about it and lives maybe a half an hour away and yet has never gone. Shrevvy lives in PA and is probably an hour at most way from some of the best "picking" in the country and he says he rarely goes. I think as comic collectors, we are to familiar with the traditional metheods to score vintage comics. Sure it's great to "win" a Heritage auction but scoring a book like this for a ten spot is WAY cheaper and a WHOLE lot more fun. To me, it's all about the thrill of the hunt and the surprise...

Edited by Robot Man

Thanks for sharing your stories... It's fun to live vicariously through your treasure hunts.

I've had many of those types of cool, "I can't believe how lucky I am to find this" moments, but usually on a much smaller value level, and not nearly as often as you. Your persistence is admirable. Sometimes life and personal sloth get in the way for some of us less-persistent types.

Thanks for sharing your stories... It's fun to live vicariously through your treasure hunts.

I've had many of those types of cool, "I can't believe how lucky I am to find this" moments, but usually on a much smaller value level, and not nearly as often as you. Your persistence is admirable. Sometimes life and personal sloth get in the way for some of us less-persistent types.

I admire your Robot-man like persistence in scoring the Wonder Woman #2! Only by consistently going out and scrounging will such deals come along -- I like to do it too, never have found a score of that magnitude, but perhaps it's waiting for me still!

Robotman,

I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy your sig line.

It is a nice variety of awesomeness!

Every time I see one of your posts, it seems I have to pause for a second to enjoy the view of your sig line.

Nice job.

How 'bout

Green Lantern?

comgreenlantern30paul_zps57e96944.jpg

I've always loved this cover. How confused and desperate had the DC gang become when they relegate their superhero to second fiddle to a dog on the cover! Or maybe GL was just taking all his money from GA sales and settling down to domestic bliss with the babe next to him! Thankfully he had wised up and ditched Doiby Dickles! Sorry Doiby, threes a crowd!

Freaks, Geeks and Weirdos a report on WonderCon LA 2016

Had a pretty easy drive in despite Friday morning rush hour. I think the Easter weekend made the usual 110 downtown freeway a little light. Parked with relative ease and saw what I came for

wondersign_zpsqza1lwnr.jpg