• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

Conclusion and my observations.

There was a lot of talk about having the con in LA. Since it is equal distance from LA to Anaheim from my house it didn't matter much. I didn't find getting in and out much difference. I heard a lot of people saying "This is my San Diego". The show was sold out I believe. I miss San Diego but this is a great alternative. A whole lot less expense and crowds. Sure there were fewer dealers, I missed Terry, Ted from Superworld and yes, even cranky old Ritchie from Tomorrow's treasures. Other dealers like Bedrock picked up the slack.

I also saw Harley, Steve from Big Wow, Bob Storms and a few "smaller" dealers there. I did a lot of "box diving" and probably hit every GA box in the place. I didn't see much scarce off brand superhero stuff. I went looking for MLJ, Ace, Catman, Prize, Speed ect and just didn't see any. I was happy with what I got in all price ranges and managed to pick up a lot of good books out of the boxes. I like the toy dealers with one box of comics. Managed to get a few real steals from them.

Guests were a little thin as well. The big names I recongized were Jim Lee, Sergio Argonnes, and of course Neal Adams who must travel with Harley to every show in the world and only a couple others. Didn't spend much time in Artist's Alley this time. All my GA and SA heroes are gone I guess.

I was pretty much able to do it in one day. I did go back on Sat and still managed to pick up a pile of cool stuff.

Saw a bunch of boardies including but not limited to Mr Bedrock, Dr. Love, Brenholt, Bumble Kitty, Sacentaur, and Ciroac. Probably saw others that I didn't know but had some fun rapping funny books!

As much as I liked the show in the Bay area, I really like it down here because I can go without spending a ton of money. Easter weekend seemed to suck for most people but the joint was packed even on Sunday I was told.

Had a great time and now I gotta go look at my buys which you will probably see in the weeks to come.

Edited by Robot Man

Maybe the best costume I saw at the show. He had a small globe spinning in his hands. I was cold just looking at them.

wondericeman_zpszd0sbqni.jpg

That's great thanks for posting the pics Robot

Edited by comicjack

Conclusion and my observations.

There was a lot of talk about having the con in LA. Since it is equal distance from LA to Anaheim from my house it didn't matter much. I didn't find getting in and out much difference. I heard a lot of people saying "This is my San Diego". The show was sold out I believe. I miss San Diego but this is a great alternative. A whole lot less expense and crowds. Sure there were fewer dealers, I missed Terry, Ted from Superworld and yes, even cranky old Ritchie from Tomorrow's treasures. Other dealers like Bedrock picked up the slack.

I also saw Harley, Steve from Big Wow, Bob Storms and a few "smaller" dealers there. I did a lot of "box diving" and probably hit every GA box in the place. I didn't see much scarce off brand superhero stuff. I went looking for MLJ, Ace, Catman, Prize, Speed ect and just didn't see any. I was happy with what I got in all price ranges and managed to pick up a lot of good books out of the boxes. I like the toy dealers with one box of comics. Managed to get a few real steals from them.

Guests were a little thin as well. The big names I recongized were Jim Lee, Sergio Argonnes, and of course Neal Adams who must travel with Harley to every show in the world and only a couple others. Didn't spend much time in Artist's Alley this time. All my GA and SA heroes are gone I guess.

I was pretty much able to do it in one day. I did go back on Sat and still managed to pick up a pile of cool stuff.

Saw a bunch of boardies including but not limited to Mr Bedrock, Dr. Love, Brenholt, Bumble Kitty, Sacentaur, and Ciroac. Probably saw others that I didn't know but had some fun rapping funny books!

As much as I liked the show in the Bay area, I really like it down here because I can go without spending a ton of money. Easter weekend seemed to suck for most people but the joint was packed even on Sunday I was told.

Had a great time and now I gotta go look at my buys which you will probably see in the weeks to come.

Cool report Robot Man. Apparently we just missed you Saturday at Mr. Bedrock's booth. See my photos in WooWoo's thread including the one I snapped of your favorite costume which was awesome. Since we are also aced out of San Diego Wonder Con is the closest alternative for us too!

Robotman,

Thanks for an awesome read and photos.

Looking at the photos, I saw one or two books that caught my eye and may cause me to "follow up" with the dealer in question.

Thanks again for taking time to share this with everyone.

Robotman,

Looking at the photos, I saw one or two books that caught my eye and may cause me to "follow up" with the dealer in question.

Hope its not the Actions 4 and 5 hm I want some of your doubles if you get them.

Edited by woowoo

Robotman,

Richard's Marvel #1?

or

Carbo's Cap run?

My pleasure...

Robotman,

Hope its not the Actions 4 and 5 hm I want some of your doubles if you get them.

hahaha - Those were not the books I was referring to, HOWEVER, I did look hard at those and the Action #9. The #9 would actually interest me the most as that is the only one of the 3 that I only own 1 copy of.

Recently, however, I read another board member's comment that he was willing to trade off one of his copies of a rare book, because he did not think it was "right" to hoard copies, and another board member was interested in it. That spoke to me. I am not trading off any of my copies just yet, but perhaps I don't need to buy up more single digit Actions (right now) that others would also enjoy.

I must admit, however, those books are tempting and temptation does sometimes get the best of me. lol.

Guests were a little thin as well. The big names I recongized were Jim Lee, Sergio Argonnes, and of course Neal Adams who must travel with Harley to every show in the world and only a couple others.

Ain't that the truth! lol

Great report. Thanks for posting it.

Thanks for the report Bob, it was a lot of fun.

I heard several people refer to WonderCon as a "mini-San Diego". They either got boxed out for SDCC tickets or just don't want the hassle anymore.

Boardies were indeed everywhere - I enjoy the chats, meals, and deals so much.

Traffic and parking were better and easier than I expected.

Hot vintage books? Had to be Matt Baker covers (St. John) along with Bill Everett covers (Atlas). Wonder Woman SA books were flying out of the boxes. Bedrock had an entire wall of Gaines copies, otherwise nice EC's were in short supply.

Several dealers got stuck with poor locations that were too far off the beaten path, including Sal Zimmerman and Greg Reece - hopefully they can get better locations next year.

Overall, a very enjoyable show!

Here's my meager haul:

3afe5eac-83dd-44b6-8a76-caafc09ad6b3_zpsvcuocmxk.jpg

I heard several people refer to WonderCon as a "mini-San Diego". They either got boxed out for SDCC tickets or just don't want the hassle anymore.

Hot vintage books? Had to be Matt Baker covers (St. John) along with Bill Everett covers (Atlas). Wonder Woman SA books were flying out of the boxes. Bedrock had an entire wall of Gaines copies, otherwise nice EC's were in short supply.

Several dealers got stuck with poor locations that were too far off the beaten path, including Sal Zimmerman and Greg Reece - hopefully they can get better locations next year.

Here's my meager haul:

Here's my meager haul:

That looks like a great haul to me!!!

Congrats on picking up some awesome books.