• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

That looks like my stack. Are you sure you didn't get mixed up. :kidaround:

Here's my meager haul:

3afe5eac-83dd-44b6-8a76-caafc09ad6b3_zpsvcuocmxk.jpg

Here's my meager haul:

Sometimes it is not about the size of the stack you being home, but rather in enjoying whatever book(s) you find.

The last time I went to a convention was last year's baltimore convention. I walked around for hours and in the end I went home with only 1 book. Not much of a "stack" but I was happy I found a book I was looking for.

Was it some mega key? No. It was a silver age dc (non key) that cost me less than 100 bucks.

Still, the convention was fun and I enjoyed the hunt.

To be fair, I did contact one dealer after the convention and bought a few books he did not sell, but even if that had not happened, I would have considered the experience a success.

I went home happy and 1 book found a new home.

Thanks for the report Bob, it was a lot of fun.

I heard several people refer to WonderCon as a "mini-San Diego". They either got boxed out for SDCC tickets or just don't want the hassle anymore.

Boardies were indeed everywhere - I enjoy the chats, meals, and deals so much.

Traffic and parking were better and easier than I expected.

Hot vintage books? Had to be Matt Baker covers (St. John) along with Bill Everett covers (Atlas). Wonder Woman SA books were flying out of the boxes. Bedrock had an entire wall of Gaines copies, otherwise nice EC's were in short supply.

Several dealers got stuck with poor locations that were too far off the beaten path, including Sal Zimmerman and Greg Reece - hopefully they can get better locations next year.

Overall, a very enjoyable show!

Here's my meager haul:

I would not call that load "meager" Steve. Nice Boy and Adventures into Weird Worlds. The only reason my pile looks better is because it is all cheap ! Good seeing you as always!

Didn't make it out there but perhaps there will be a time we can get together later this year. Your thread and cheerful comments have been a bright addition to the Forum and I look forward to meeting you.

Ooooooh,love...well everything,particularly the menace and BOY---ironjaw is way cool.

Were there any Paul boy comics?

Wow how awsome to have Jimmers back in my thread! We've all been pulling for you buddy. Sorry I was too busy looking at girls to notice the Boy comics...

Were there any Paul boy comics?

Yes, I seem recall several later issues (I only collect the early ones) - try Brian Peets at A-1 Comics in Sacramento, he has some I think.

One of the highlights of the show for me was chatting with many of the dealers, some of whom I've known for around 30 years - started out as a customer, and then become a friend. :)

Robotman,

Thanks for an awesome read and photos.

Looking at the photos, I saw one or two books that caught my eye and may cause me to "follow up" with the dealer in question.

Thanks again for taking time to share this with everyone.

Richard's Marvel #1?

or

Carbo's Cap run?

My pleasure...

Holding out to sell the whole run as a lot? That's not something you see much any more for books of that sort.

I heard several people refer to WonderCon as a "mini-San Diego". They either got boxed out for SDCC tickets or just don't want the hassle anymore.

Hot vintage books? Had to be Matt Baker covers (St. John) along with Bill Everett covers (Atlas). Wonder Woman SA books were flying out of the boxes. Bedrock had an entire wall of Gaines copies, otherwise nice EC's were in short supply.

Several dealers got stuck with poor locations that were too far off the beaten path, including Sal Zimmerman and Greg Reece - hopefully they can get better locations next year.

Here's my meager haul:

Great stuff! That's about three cons worth for me.

Here's my meager haul:

That's a nice stack!

Mike had a nice case. A big run of Caps from #1 on. I asked about one and he said they were for sale a lot only. I guess he forgot he was talking to Robot Man. I didn't ask the price...

wondercomics_zpszmkrhdmt.jpg

thanks for the pics Robot Man. Yah, I looked at Carbo's Caps the week before at Silicon Valley con, but he wasn't going to break up this new Cap collection...

Oh there were plenty of Disneys Rich. A lot of early WDCS, single digits too. A younger collector I know bought a #4 and was thrilled. Men in tights ruled the roost though. I am trying to finish off still another EC collection and other than Bedrock found them a little thin.

A promising note though. While in Bedrock's booth a couple of young teenage collectors bought some nice Spirit Sections. They seemed fairly knowledgeable too. I think the future of our hobby is in good hands.

Mike had a nice case. A big run of Caps from #1 on. I asked about one and he said they were for sale a lot only. I guess he forgot he was talking to Robot Man. I didn't ask the price...

thanks for the pics Robot Man. Yah, I looked at Carbo's Caps the week before at Silicon Valley con, but he wasn't going to break up this new Cap collection...

Didn't get any of the Caps but that original Hulk model is in my junk pile now...

Didn't get any of the Caps but that original Hulk model is in my junk pile now...

Robot Man,

Great Wonder Con report.

Congratuations on finding an original 1966 Aurora Incredible Hulk model with artwork by Neal Adams. I purchased the kit in 1966, built, painted and destroyed mine.

Has the Wonder Con atmosphere changed since the move from Anaheim CC to LA Convention Center and scarcity of SDCC tickets?

Happy collecting! :)

I don't think the atmosphere has changed at all. You will always hear the whining that it sucks on Easter weekend or that it was better in San Francisco or Anahiem. I used to love it in SF but it's gone and ain't coming back. Next year it's back in Anahiem and not on Easter.

I am equal distance from LA or Anahiem so it doesn't matter to me. It did seem a little 'edgier" in LA which is cool. It was a good, tight show that you could almost do in one day if you were real focused. I would have liked a few more comic dealers but I managed to spend more than I should have with the ones that were there.

I heard a lot of people say that they are done with San Diego and this was it for them. Was a great alternative for me to and I would go to any of the 3 locations.