• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"My mom threw mine away"

85 posts in this topic

I was one of the lucky ones.

My mom was also a collector, which made her appreciate my obsession. She collected stamps and carnival glass since before I was born, and my dad collected coins.

Here's a picture of me from 1978 with my collection in its entirety. Thanks to my understanding parents I still have all of these comics. (X-Men #9 on top of the stack.)

tony-comics-1979.jpg

That's awesome :headbang:

I have no one to blame but myself, always read comics as a little kid, then when I was eleven I discovered FF#3 at the drugstore and then bought every marvel comic for the next 3 years including As #1 Avengers #1 Xmen 1, everything including Sgt Fury and all the westerns. Then when I was 14 I went to see the Beatles in concert at Maple Leaf gardens, after that day I spent all my cash on LPs

and gave away all my comics to a friend. Flash forward to the 80's and I discovered a FF at my local book store, read it in the store and was hooked again by the art of john Byrne..Starting collecting again and discovered golden age as well as all my silver Marvel favourites. You can't go back but you can keep going forward and I am stashing stuff away for my grandson and intend to brainwash him when he's old enough to read.

My mom was also a collector, which made her appreciate my obsession. She collected stamps and carnival glass since before I was born, and my dad collected coins.

Here's a picture of me from 1978 with my collection in its entirety. Thanks to my understanding parents I still have all of these comics. (X-Men #9 on top of the stack.)

tony-comics-1979.jpg

Best board pic of the month !!!

tony-comics-1979.jpg

Can you give a summary of the kind of books that are in that stack?

Can you give a summary of the kind of books that are in that stack?

It would have been 90% bronze age Marvels, heavy on Hulk and Master of Kung Fu which were my two favorites at the time.

If I was at home I could tell you pretty much exactly what is in the stack, as I had typed up a complete list of them on my mom's old Royal typewriter about the same time this photo was taken.

Wow, lots of good stories.

MM - so that's how comics were pressed in the old days. Cool picture

Aaron - sorry to hear about your parents treatment of you when you were young. It is horrible how some parents can be like that. I can just hear them saying "he was our good little boy until he got hooked on those evil comics".

I had a seventh grade teacher who thought all comics were trash. Made sure to never have comics in her class.

A long ago I tried to reason with people that thought comics were bad: "Do you like seeing pictures and paintings and other art?" Usually the answer was "yes" ."Do you like books and literature?"..."yes" "But if I combine the two you are telling me they are evil?"...blank stare..sigh.

I was my own worst enemy when I was a kid. I was a wheeler dealer at a young age, always looking for something new. I was already trading and selling toys and comics at shows at the local mall or the monthly flea market by the time I was 10 or 11 years old. This continued throughout my adolescence and adulthood. My Mom was actually the one who told me I should KEEP my stuff, but I always wanted to trade up. Per usual, should have listened to Mom! :pullhair:

tony-comics-1979.jpg

Outstanding!!! :applause:

Man oh man...many things about that pic bring back many fond memories -- the model kit, the guitar, the hair!!! Where did the past 35+ years go?

Btw...what's that band poster on the door behind you? Looks familiar, but I can't quite place it.

Thanks a lot for posting that -- made my day!

Wow, lots of good stories.

MM - so that's how comics were pressed in the old days. Cool picture

Aaron - sorry to hear about your parents treatment of you when you were young. It is horrible how some parents can be like that. I can just hear them saying "he was our good little boy until he got hooked on those evil comics".

I had a seventh grade teacher who thought all comics were trash. Made sure to never have comics in her class.

A long ago I tried to reason with people that thought comics were bad: "Do you like seeing pictures and paintings and other art?" Usually the answer was "yes" ."Do you like books and literature?"..."yes" "But if I combine the two you are telling me they are evil?"...blank stare..sigh.

Thanks. :)

Btw...what's that band poster on the door behind you? Looks familiar, but I can't quite place it.

It's Aerosmith. I think that poster was included in their Live Bootleg album.

That's it!!! I think mine is still folded up in the LP, which is around here...somewhere...

Man, that is a killer photo!!! Great you still have it. Thanks for showing it. Still got the books?

Yes, I still have those books plus about 20,000 more. I now have a lot of those early books from my collection displayed in a spinner rack in my man cave.

That... IS AWESOME!!!

:applause:

-slym

I have a related story, When I was a young man I collected comics differently than my friends... While they were buying 5-10 comics off the new rack I would buy back issues so I could read more of the story at 1 time. My book of choice was the X-men

For my 14th Birthday my mom gave me a card. Inside it read "This card is redeemable for all the X-men books your missing. I had to explain to my mom that some of the books I was missing could cost a couple hundred bucks and that to me "Finding the books was the best part of collecting "and still is :)" So as a compromise she took me to the Sunshine Comics and bought me a slew of x-men "the entire dark phoenix run :) "

I kept that card, It meant a lot to me. Unfortunately I lost it to Hurricane Andrew. My parents did haul all my Comics with them when they High Tailed it out of Homestead FL to avoid the storm.

My mom has passed since then but I will always remember that Birthday card. It meant a lot to me that she recognized my love of comics and supported it :)

Wow, what great parents! :)

tony-comics-1979.jpg

Now, that is how you press a comic book.

My didn't throw them away, but I started collecting in 1980 and had around 90+% of the X-Men from #10 - 175. My mother made me sell them. I wound up selling them at the flea market for $100.

You guys are making my heart hurt lol had all mine stacked in my long closet but not any stacks that high

Garbage Pail Kid Collection = gone

All of my satanic heavy metal tapes and t-shirts = gone

All the pictures of the model I dated in high school = gone

Thankfully, mom never laid a hand on my comic collection. Not like it mattered anyway. I was a child of the early 90s so most of it was million-print drek. :)

tony-comics-1979.jpg

i

Is that what you call "natural pressing"?

Lots of heartwarming and heartbreaking stories here. I was warned about posting over here in General but you guys have shared a lot of your selves. I'm all about the stories. This is what makes this journey fun. It is what we all share together. Now if I could get the GA guys to open up a little more... Thanks to all for your great stories and keep 'em coming!

You always hear about all these people who's moms sold their AF15's etc at a yard sale-you never hear anyone who actually bought that stuff at a yard sale....

You always hear about all these people who's moms sold their AF15's etc at a yard sale-you never hear anyone who actually bought that stuff at a yard sale....
Did you read all of this 400 page thread? :baiting:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3347247&fpart=1