• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney's Indiana Jones
3 3

413 posts in this topic

Fun pic of Mads Mikkelsen trying to out-flex the huge goon Olivier Richters from the film.  lol  Mikkelsen is 6' 0", so it's easy to see how massive Richters is at 7' 2" 350 pounds.  It's fun watching him repeatedly lift adults in the film like they're little kids.

Richters also played Ursa Major in the Black Widow film who is shown briefly in the prison scene where Red Guardian arm wrestles him and wins.  Richters is recognized by the Guinness World Records as the world's tallest bodybuilder.

In the second pic he's standing next to Hafþór Björnsson, the third actor who played the Mountain from Game of Thrones for the last four or five seasons who is 6' 8" and 340 pounds.

260231691_4805234499498411_2740965593269

928ca0185cbad6d95420d1e264f98348.png

On 7/2/2023 at 4:11 AM, Bosco685 said:

Unfortunately this film is being released in what I will label a hostile climate.  There are many that are assuming they know what the movie is about or what it will be and "refusing to see that sheet".

However, as we are seeing in this forum, those that have seen it walk away saying that it wasn't bad and in fact a decent entry to the franchise.

I have a feeling that this will gain a better appreciation once it is streaming.

Personally, it does not matter whether or not this film financially succeeds or fails since we are not getting another Harrison Ford led Indiana Jones again.   We got our ending so it's a moot point as to whether or not the the finances support a sequel.  Ford has said that this was it and that he has closed the storybook on the character. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 7/3/2023 at 12:46 AM, Buzzetta said:

Unfortunately this film is being released in what I will label a hostile climate.  There are many that are assuming they know what the movie is about or what it will be and "refusing to see that sheet".

However, as we are seeing in this forum, those that have seen it walk away saying that it wasn't bad and in fact a decent entry to the franchise.

I have a feeling that this will gain a better appreciation once it is streaming.

Personally, it does not matter whether or not this film financially succeeds or fails since we are not getting another Harrison Ford led Indiana Jones again.   We got our ending so it's a moot point as to whether or not the the finances support a sequel.  Ford has said that this was it and that he has closed the storybook on the character. 

I just think it's simpler than that. 80 year old man leads action film. Young audience laughs and goes "OK boomers". What's in it for a younger audience? 

On 7/2/2023 at 11:36 AM, Cat said:

I just think it's simpler than that. 80 year old man leads action film. Young audience laughs and goes "OK boomers". What's in it for a younger audience? 

On 7/2/2023 at 11:43 AM, D84 said:

There's also people who are tired of sequels, remakes and the dreaded "cinematic universe."

Counterpoint:  Top Gun: Maverick/Spider-Man: No Way Home

No one really knows when the nostalgia money train is going to roll into town.  But they're going to keep trying.

On 7/2/2023 at 10:46 AM, Buzzetta said:

But getting a better on streaming does not make Disney the money it needs to recoup for this film. Going to D+ with little revenue in Blu-ray and VOD, means Disney is shifting losses from one pocket to another.  The budget is debated, but is around $300 with at least $150 million in marketing.  They need roughly $850 to $900 million to make money on this movie. At this point if they are lucky they get to $400 million, so they are looking at a $200 million plus loss on DoD?  Regardless of the quality of the project, they really need to be taking a hard look at the demand and budgets on these films. in addition, if they are bringing out movies into a hostile environment, they need to look at why that market is hostile, what role they may have played in that perception, and take what measures they can to correct that. 

I give 4/5 stars to Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny. Movie had some problems with me. It was little bit too long. I would have just cut the car chasing scene because it was so close to that horse chasing scene which was much better anyways. Antonio Banderas should have had more screen time. The movie had great villains but they could have been little softer.This is not Logan 2 anyways. 

Edited by godzilla43

Unfortunately this film may also been poorly timed after so many years.

My prediction is that the film will do just fine. The crowd in cinema was really mixed young and old. I think many people will just go to see the new Indiana Jones and don't really care about those reviews. 

Edited by godzilla43

On 7/2/2023 at 12:24 PM, godzilla43 said:

My prediction is that the film will do just fine. The crowd in cinema was really mixed like young and old. I think many people will just go to see the new Indiana Jones and don't really care about those reviews. 

stay away from Las Vegas; $130M WW launch on $400M+ all-in cost.  Even Deadline threw in the towel.

On 7/2/2023 at 3:24 PM, godzilla43 said:

My prediction is that the film will do just fine. The crowd in cinema was really mixed young and old. I think many people will just go to see the new Indiana Jones and don't really care about those reviews. 

How do you define just fine?  The movie is now projected at $58 to $59 million on a $329 million production budget ($100 M ad spend).  That is even below the low end projections of $65 million going into the weekend, meaning it did worse than already marginal projections. Mission Impossible appeals to a very similar audience and is out in less then two weeks.  This film would need legs for years and years to hit the break even point. In 2022 the average movie's multiplier for the top 10 films was (meaning the final Box office divided be the open weekend take) was 2.92. So these films did about 1/3 of their total take in the first 3 days. So if DoD has a $130 M opening weekend a 3 times multiplier means the film will make about $390 M.  To hit its profit point of roughly $850 M it would need a 6.5 multiplier from the opening weekend. Where is that going to come from? This is beyond reviews at this point, it is into the zone of horrible industry press calling the film a disappointment to an outright failure at the box office. Press like that is cancerous to film.  In addition the B+ Cimemascore is generally an accurate indicator of a film having poor legs?

By comparison Avatar the Way of Water had a 4.46 multiplier. (DoD with this multiplier  $580 M)

Top Gun Maverick had a 5.67 multiplier ($737 M, still not a profit)

Avengers Endgame had a 2.34 multiplier ( $304 m, so just ouch ouch ouch)

Regardless of my personal feelings about the film, those number are pretty grim. 

Edited by drotto

We got our ending so it's a moot point as to whether or not the the finances support a sequel.

We got our ending at the end of Last Crusade, he literally rode off into the sunset.  Then we got our ending again in the Crystal Skull (hated that movie) when he and Marion got married and walked out the church together.

On 7/2/2023 at 2:08 PM, Bosco685 said:

Unfortunately this film may also been poorly timed after so many years.

Leave it to Kennedy to have a bigger bomb than John Carter was.  Who does she have dirt on and how bad is said dirt?  How does she still have a job?  This isn't her first bomb/underperformer at the helm of Lucasfilm, but this will be the biggest.

I’m going to see this evening since it’s been months since we have gone to a theater.  I’m hopeful but they just can’t expect movies to make a billion dollars so they need to stop making $250 million dollar movies and concentrate on more $100 million movies which will make money.  I’ve not seen it yet but I don’t know why it would cost so much to tell an Indy adventure.

On 7/2/2023 at 11:36 AM, Cat said:

My god son just turned 23 on Friday. He loves all of the Indy movies, including the new one. Don't forget that kids would watch these movies on cable, video, " on demand ", etc. Not all millennials and Gen Z kids hate everything that's " old".

On 7/3/2023 at 3:05 PM, 1Cool said:

I’m going to see this evening since it’s been months since we have gone to a theater.  I’m hopeful but they just can’t expect movies to make a billion dollars so they need to stop making $250 million dollar movies and concentrate on more $100 million movies which will make money.  I’ve not seen it yet but I don’t know why it would cost so much to tell an Indy adventure.

The latest official budget is $329M with $100M for marketing.