• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney's Indiana Jones
3 3

413 posts in this topic

On 5/23/2023 at 7:13 AM, media_junkie said:

Not a surprise to me, Rotten Tomatoes is gaming the system for Disney.  Has happened before will happen again.

Fully realize that, but rarely do they let one slip that is so obvious.  Granted how a reviewer would say this and then give it a 3/5 is puzzling also. (I know reviewer afraid of losing access and privileges)

Edited by drotto

I swear...people believe what they're spoon-fed.  Media stories are still saying Harley Quinn is an Academy Award performance...pre-release 'rumors' were that WW 2 and Shazam 2 are fantastic...and of course Aquaman 2 with jacked Momoa, jacked Wilson, and jacked Mateen II sucks LOL.

On 6/9/2023 at 9:10 PM, media_junkie said:

Indiana Jones 5 to open at $60 million for the weekend.--- Deadline

For a movie that cost $300 million to produce (and probably another 150 to 200 to market) a $60 million domestic opening is horrible.

What kind of teenager wants to see a movie starring an 80 year old? 

On 5/23/2023 at 8:32 AM, drotto said:

Fully realize that, but rarely do they let one slip that is so obvious.  Granted how a reviewer would say this and then give it a 3/5 is puzzling also. (I know reviewer afraid of losing access and privileges)

I mean, if the actual review was a 3/5 then Rotten Tomatoes should be giving it a "Fresh" rating by their own standards.  It's a little weird they would pick a representative quote out of the review that makes it sound unfavorable, but that's a different issue (and certainly not one caused by them gaming the system in favor of Disney).  

On 6/9/2023 at 7:10 AM, media_junkie said:

Indiana Jones 5 to open at $60 million for the weekend.--- Deadline

For a movie that cost $300 million to produce (and probably another 150 to 200 to market) a $60 million domestic opening is horrible.

Some people have it tracking a bit higher in the $75 to $110 million opening range.  Still would be a brutal opening for a movie with a $300 million budget and likely a $150 if not more marketing spend.  This movie is looking at a minimum of $800 million (possible more) as a break even point.  Makes it hard to get there even if it manages the high end of early projections of $110 million.  It would need legs for weeks at any of these openings.

On 6/10/2023 at 9:39 AM, drotto said:

Some people have it tracking a bit higher in the $75 to $110 million opening range.  Still would be a brutal opening for a movie with a $300 million budget and likely a $150 if not more marketing spend.  This movie is looking at a minimum of $800 million (possible more) as a break even point.  Makes it hard to get there even if it manages the high end of early projections of $110 million.  It would need legs for weeks at any of these openings.

As you posted before, budgets are out of control. Of the summer 'blockbusters' so far released:

GOTG will show a profit, Fast X will not, TLM will not, S-M:A the S-V will, Transformers will not.  The next three: Flash, Elemental, Indy do not look promising for the studios.

This move does have something that many other movies do not, which is a powerful IP and fees drawn in for merchandising.  Hasbro and Lego probably re-upped their toy licenses every year since the industry learned from the Kenner mistake of letting it lapse.  (Assuming everyone knows that story)

With media support there are already ample sales with related merchandise where even if the movie is a loss the merchandising sales can make up for some of it where Indiana Jones as a property is still valuable if that makes any sense. 

Keep buying those 6” figures… they cost more than a movie ticket. 😂 

On 6/10/2023 at 1:00 PM, Buzzetta said:

This move does have something that many other movies do not, which is a powerful IP and fees drawn in for merchandising.  Hasbro and Lego probably re-upped their toy licenses every year since the industry learned from the Kenner mistake of letting it lapse.  (Assuming everyone knows that story)

With media support there are already ample sales with related merchandise where even if the movie is a loss the merchandising sales can make up for some of it where Indiana Jones as a property is still valuable if that makes any sense. 

Keep buying those 6” figures… they cost more than a movie ticket. 😂 

But big numbers require repeat viewings. If the reviews are accurate, the nostalgia crowd is not going to be seeing this movie multiple times, and I am not sure where this film attracts new younger viewers.  Remember this is a fanbase that has already been burned once with Crystal Skull.  

As for toys, I never remember Indy being a big kids toy line, and I was the prime audience when this movie first came out. I just do not see the merchandise saving this film. They may make up a bit, but it did not save Disney Star Wars where the toys are languishing in the discount bins and landfills all over the world, and Star Wars redefined what licensing IP's meant at one point. 

On 6/11/2023 at 11:35 AM, Brandon Shepherd said:

What does it cost to go see a movie today? I really want to give this film a chance but I’m not feeling it. 

Depends where you are and how you want to see it... 

And who is showing it... for example AMC upcharges $2 more a ticket if you want to be in the center aisle instead of the left or right wings. 

On 6/11/2023 at 10:10 AM, Buzzetta said:

Depends where you are and how you want to see it... 

And who is showing it... for example AMC upcharges $2 more a ticket if you want to be in the center aisle instead of the left or right wings. 

I haven’t been to a movie theater since Wonder Woman (2017). From what I hear now, seems like buying a movie ticket is like buying a concert ticket, with pre-sales, assigned seating and bunch of other bs. Is there still a box office? :preach:

How worried is Disney about this film?  Apparently, they are having a select critics screening in California.  I am assuming this meaning they are inviting people they think are more apt to give favorable reviews to counteract the negativity that was crated by the initial showing.

I got my June 28th prescreen pass to see this, but it is ways out in time and place. Lord Willing. I "think" this will be the 1st to ever see in theaters, as we were a blockbuster vhs family mostly as a kid. Kingdom Skull was dvd as well (thumbsu