• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney's Indiana Jones
3 3

413 posts in this topic

Just saw it and liked it a lot.  That original ending would have been better for me, but the ending they gave us instead was OK, just overly sentimental.

I really liked the Dial as a McGuffin, MUCH better than the Crystal Skulls.  Not as good as the Grail, but probably second although I need more time to think about the Ark as compared to the Dial.  It's particularly interesting given that the Dial is a real artifact currently in a museum with some mystery surrounding it, and the film's story fits with that real object VERY well making it even more compelling.

Definitely going back to see it in a few weeks.  It lacked the humor Spielberg put into the previous films, but it was still really good, felt very much like an Indy adventure.

Edited by fantastic_four

On 6/29/2023 at 6:35 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

By smaller do you mean streaming?

Nothing is more boring than watching an action movie at home.

Smaller budget… 

And maybe nothing is more boring is for you.  

I’ve very much enjoyed all movies from the comfort of the living room. 

On 6/29/2023 at 3:45 PM, Buzzetta said:

Smaller budget… 

Everyone says that as they age. :shy:

Unless I have a movie theater in my house, everyone's TV sucks.

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 6/29/2023 at 5:45 PM, Buzzetta said:

Smaller budget… 

Last time I went to the theater was 2019.  For Sky of Risewalker, and with my ex-wife.  At least the food was good.

These days, nothing beats movies or sports from the comfort of my couch, with the convenience of the pause button.

On 6/29/2023 at 6:41 PM, Buzzetta said:

No, it comes down to the price of the movies, the speed at which they are on TV, and the poor behavior of others.

it comes to the changing of times. 

Last week on the subway someone (looked about to be in their 20's) refused to move their bike away from the doors and no one could exit the car when it pulled into the station.   The bike was literally positioned in a way that trapped everyone in the rear of the car. 

I "moved" him and his bike. 

I turn 48 tomorrow.   At 48 I grabbed someone in their 20's without hesitation and moved him and his bike 

This combined with work where last week I had to break up a fight between two adults pinning one of them to a wall and having to forcibly remove them. 

I am getting too old for "this"

I am getting too old to deal with people that feel that they have a right to heckle a movie if they don't like it ruining it for others.  

Mission Impossible, Indiana Jones, and Oppenheimer?  I will see those in the theater. 

There was no need to see half of the "action movies" in the theater the more I think of it where it is mostly "bang" with little substance and wasting all that money when I know it will be on a streaming service in a month or two.   I skipped Thor Ragnorak and waited for that to hit Disney+... did I "really" miss anything there?  I saw Antman but I could have waited for that as well.  It was on Disney+ two months later.  The only thing I was glad to see in the theater was Guardians 3 but I am already scheduling a couch date for the Marvels.  

I like spending my money as smart as possible.  Half of the things in the theater make no sense to throw money at. 

image.gif.4a0765c8208c8e2b692292978bb7a0ac.gif

On 6/30/2023 at 8:00 AM, NewWorldOrder said:

I will do better than Flash.

A streaker's autobiography: coming to you July 31.

On 6/29/2023 at 6:01 PM, Buzzetta said:

Much better than I thought it would be.  I liked it.  Friend turned to me at the end and said the same.  It was far better than he “thought it deserved to be.”

My spoilers that I posted from Reddit last month were accurate.  Even knowing what I knew I enjoyed this a lot.

For those that worry, Waller Bridge was not as insufferable as I assumed she would be.   

Mangold may not have released the version that he wanted to but Disney released the version of Mangold’s movie that worked. 

Music is on point.  A little long in parts.  Action makes sense.  Who rescues who and under what circumstances make sense as well and no one actually outdoes it. 

3/4 stars

Reading much more reviews like this than detractors the past day. Glad to see that pattern.

On 6/29/2023 at 4:41 PM, Buzzetta said:

No, it comes down to the price of the movies, the speed at which they are on TV, and the poor behavior of others.

it comes to the changing of times. 

Last week on the subway someone (looked about to be in their 20's) refused to move their bike away from the doors and no one could exit the car when it pulled into the station.   The bike was literally positioned in a way that trapped everyone in the rear of the car. 

I "moved" him and his bike. 

I turn 48 tomorrow.   At 48 I grabbed someone in their 20's without hesitation and moved him and his bike 

This combined with work where last week I had to break up a fight between two adults pinning one of them to a wall and having to forcibly remove them. 

I am getting too old for "this"

I am getting too old to deal with people that feel that they have a right to heckle a movie if they don't like it ruining it for others.  

Mission Impossible, Indiana Jones, and Oppenheimer?  I will see those in the theater. 

There was no need to see half of the "action movies" in the theater the more I think of it where it is mostly "bang" with little substance and wasting all that money when I know it will be on a streaming service in a month or two.   I skipped Thor Ragnorak and waited for that to hit Disney+... did I "really" miss anything there?  I saw Antman but I could have waited for that as well.  It was on Disney+ two months later.  The only thing I was glad to see in the theater was Guardians 3 but I am already scheduling a couch date for the Marvels.  

I like spending my money as smart as possible.  Half of the things in the theater make no sense to throw money at. 

I am 42, I already hate that arcades are gone, most malls are finished, people now can barely socialize, and if movie theaters go away that's just one more fun thing that will make humans just stay inside and become even more less social.

You live in NYC?, worse than LA. lol

I get what you are saying, however I saw Transformers last night.  I just wait a couple weeks and I have the whole row to myself.

For me there is nothing like going to the movies and getting that popcorn.  Home will never feel that way.

Oppenheimer in IMAX can't be replaced watching it at home!

I do agree most movies, especially non-action the movie theater really has taken a hit since streaming (heck even on demand from the mid-200's).

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 6/30/2023 at 12:26 AM, Bosco685 said:

Reading much more reviews like this than detractors the past day. Glad to see that pattern.

Seems everyone I know that has seen the movie said it's not as bad as the initial reviews, but not great either.

However, they all said Phoebe Mary Waller-Bridge is very annoying, arrogant, know-it-all, and very unlikable as that character. 

On 6/29/2023 at 4:44 PM, fantastic_four said:

Definitely going back to see it in a few weeks.  It lacked the humor Spielberg put into the previous films, but it was still really good, felt very much like an Indy adventure.

This is a relief - I was really hoping Indy would get a solid send-off. I'm not expecting an Academy Award Winning performance, just a good ole fashioned Indian Jones adventure.

On 6/30/2023 at 2:52 PM, Dr. Balls said:

This is a relief - I was really hoping Indy would get a solid send-off. I'm not expecting an Academy Award Winning performance, just a good ole fashioned Indian Jones adventure.

I'm still poring over the Wikipedia page today about the real-world Dial and probably will still be doing so next week.  :cloud9:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antikythera_mechanism

Great movie. I'm shocked, I didn't think I would like it. Some really great stuff especially

Spoiler

The Battle of Syracuse

It felt like a real Indy movie, more in line with the original trilogy than Crystal Skulls. It has lots of heart.

Edited by Larryw7