• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney's Indiana Jones
3 3

413 posts in this topic

On 5/20/2023 at 7:05 PM, drotto said:

Yeah, you think the marketing budget is only $100 million? :facepalm:

Man I have no clue what the marketing budget is.  I know in my neck of the woods there hasn't been alot of marketing (at last not that I have seen).  Budget could be $100 million or $200 million (or more), I just don't know.

On 5/20/2023 at 7:27 PM, media_junkie said:

Man I have no clue what the marketing budget is.  I know in my neck of the woods there hasn't been alot of marketing (at last not that I have seen).  Budget could be $100 million or $200 million (or more), I just don't know.

Aren't those Superbowl ads between 25-50 million? I think the marketing budget will be big, despite the pretty horrible reviews.

Princess is gendered. Those days are over.

Princess invokes colonialism & empire. Those days are over.

NuDisney's next Indiana Jones should be a non-white-skinned, non-binary, birthing-person who lectures from the classroom lectern the former Indiana Jones on the criminal cultural appropriations of being a Raider. That beatdown should be the opening action sequence. We all know who'll be getting the whip this time.   

I just read the entire synopsis ... 

ehhhh

Just like JJ Abrams and Rian Johnson made everyone appreciate the prequels it looks like this movie will make everyone appreciate Kingdom of the Crystal Skull in giving Indiana Jones the ending he never knew he wanted or needed in being married and finding out he had a son.

However, I can definitely see where the reshot ending was done in the synopsis.  It is VERY clear what they did. 

Spoiler for the end of the movie. 

Spoiler

Last chance... I don't want to hear from any board members they do not have any self control - you have been warned.

Spoiler

The movie ends with Indiana Jones being pulled to the present and is laying in bed bandaged up.  He is in bed disappointed because he feels he has nothing left in the "current" timeline.  As far as we know up to this point Mutt has died and he is divorced from Marion and is dependent on alcohol to get through the day.  Marion suddenly comes into the apartment with groceries and after some banter asks, "Where does it hurt?" in a callback to the first movie.  They rekindle their relationship and Indiana gets as happy of an ending as he can. 

This is most likely the new ending and would support the original idea that Indy is left in the past and his niece takes over in the present.  Supposedly in the original version shot before Iger took over, Jones laments that his future self has suffered great loss and remains in the past to seek out new adventures and things.  Iger reportedly felt that this was an unreleasable movie with this ending and asked for reshoots which is where we get the above from.

Full spoiler: 

Edited by Buzzetta

At least this whole thing got us some sweet Indiana Jones figures from Hasbro... 

Which I am patiently awaiting to ship... so at least I have that going for me.  Which is kind of nice. 

image.thumb.png.dfb233fcf47fdaabb2f59913b54ba574.png

On 5/21/2023 at 8:58 PM, Buzzetta said:

ehhhh

Just like JJ Abrams and Rian Johnson made everyone appreciate the prequels it looks like this movie will make everyone appreciate Kingdom of the Crystal Skull in giving Indiana Jones the ending he never knew he wanted or needed in being married and finding out he had a son.

However, I can definitely see where the reshot ending was done in the synopsis.  It is VERY clear what they did. 

Hide contents

Last chance... I don't want to hear from any board members they do not have any self control - you have been warned.

Hide contents

The movie ends with Indiana Jones being pulled to the present and is laying in bed bandaged up.  He is in bed disappointed because he feels he has nothing left in the "current" timeline.  As far as we know up to this point Mutt has died and he is divorced from Marion and is dependent on alcohol to get through the day.  Marion suddenly comes into the apartment with groceries and after some banter asks, "Where does it hurt?" in a callback to the first movie.  They rekindle their relationship and Indiana gets as happy of an ending as he can. 

This is most likely the new ending and would support the original idea that Indy is left in the past and his niece takes over in the present.  Supposedly in the original version shot before Iger took over, Jones laments that his future self has suffered great loss and remains in the past to seek out new adventures and things.  Iger reportedly felt that this was an unreleasable movie with this ending and asked for reshoots which is where we get the above from.

Full spoiler: 

Wow. It should be called "Indiana Jones and the Steaming Pile of 💩."

On 5/21/2023 at 8:58 PM, Buzzetta said:

ehhhh

Hide contents

Reveal hidden contents

Full spoiler: 

Frankly, both endings sound unreleasable.  

On 5/22/2023 at 3:40 PM, mattn792 said:

Frankly, both endings sound unreleasable.  

I mean, the new ending makes more sense.   Big spoiler like last time. 

Spoiler

Well to be fair.  I think we can all agree that figuring out what to do with the son was problematic and it kind of makes sense to have him killed in Vietnam as it solves the Shia issue.  But does he really go down that path due to what happens to Mutt?  It's possible.  Indy becomes an alcoholic.  Given the loss of a son and dissolution of his marriage I could see that.  Indiana Jones has always been the everyman dealing in the impossible situation.  A hint at the reliance of alcohol is discouraging but buyable. 

I had read online that Spielberg was bold enough with Kingdom of the Crystal Skull to try to wrap up the series by giving Indiana Jones the family he didn't know he yearned for or was running away from which... is quite "Spielbergian" in nature.  He resolves the dad issue at the end of Last Crusade but to see Indiana hopefully become the father that he never really had and the husband that he never had provides growth to the character and a closure to the story. 

The article proceeded to say that despite its faults ala Mutt and the Tarzan monkeys along with a few other things, that Crystal Skull is not a bad way to end the series.  It stated that Mangold is a fantastic director and storyteller but he is dealing with a property that should have been allowed to rest. 

For Mangold to undo it and put Indiana Jones back in time with PWB as the heir to the whip would have been a backward turn for the character and disastrous to future properties.  At least with this ending, Jones still finds happiness, we see Marion back in the picture and it ends with a sense of hope as audiences are now saying it is an older hand that grabs the hat from the clothesline indicating that Indiana Jones has still 'got it'. 

I think the reshot ending is a fair ending for the movie that did not really need to be made to being with.  At least we know that Indy is still out there by 1969. 

On 5/23/2023 at 12:37 AM, drotto said:

I am not saying this movie is good or bad, and it is just one person's review.  But how broken is Rotten Tomatoes when it put this quote as fresh?Screenshot_20230523_003425_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4ba4924ab1de180cd4328b5bb94c9e46.jpg

Not a surprise to me, Rotten Tomatoes is gaming the system for Disney.  Has happened before will happen again.