• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney's Indiana Jones
3 3

413 posts in this topic

On 7/3/2023 at 6:09 PM, drotto said:

The latest official budget is $329M with $100M for marketing. 

So based on 2.5x to break even, this movie needs $1 billion to break even.  This is going to cost Disney hundreds of millions.

I watched this over the weekend and it was a solid ok, it wasn't great but it wasn't bad either.

The opening sequence lasted way to long, the middle of the movie dragged and felt every bit of the 2.5 hour run time, but the end of the movie pulled everything together nicely if not in a schlock kind of way. They could have saved 100mil and cut an hour out of this and been much better for it.

Unfortunately anything with the Disney brand is unwelcomed to the audience at large at the moment so it will and looks well on its way to being a flop. If a trimmed down version of this had been made instead of crystal skull, I think we would be seeing a much more successful Indiana Jones. I would take a guess that this franchise will be shelved for the next 7 years and we will see a remake/reboot announcement for 2031.

On 7/3/2023 at 6:27 PM, DougC said:

I watched this over the weekend and it was a solid ok, it wasn't great but it wasn't bad either.

The opening sequence lasted way to long, the middle of the movie dragged and felt every bit of the 2.5 hour run time, but the end of the movie pulled everything together nicely if not in a schlock kind of way. They could have saved 100mil and cut an hour out of this and been much better for it.

Unfortunately anything with the Disney brand is unwelcomed to the audience at large at the moment so it will and looks well on its way to being a flop. If a trimmed down version of this had been made instead of crystal skull, I think we would be seeing a much more successful Indiana Jones. I would take a guess that this franchise will be shelved for the next 7 years and we will see a remake/reboot announcement for 2031.

The thing is if you want to reboot it you need to take it back to it's roots.  A young hero in the 1930's, that is paying homage to the low budget serials of that time.  It needs to be real stunts, on real sets, eliminate CGI except when absolutely needed, and just plane fun. The best way to bring this back would be a TV show similar to what they tried years ago with the Young Indian Jones Chronicles. 

On 7/3/2023 at 6:27 PM, media_junkie said:

So based on 2.5x to break even, this movie needs $1 billion to break even.  This is going to cost Disney hundreds of millions.

Seen early estimates of about a $250M loss. Also most people are putting the break even point more in the $800M to $850M range. 

The theater was mostly empty which didn’t help the vibe but I thought it was pretty good.  Way too long since it really didn’t have that much new stuff to add to the table.  My wife and I were discussing why Top Gun 2 was such a better movie even though both were nostalgia flicks.  Indy just felt old where as Cruise could still pull off an action hero and it just felt relevant whereas Indy just felt like a period piece of the old Indiana Jones from my childhood.  There was a lot of good stuff in the new Indy but I can see why it would not speak to anyone under 40 years old.  

saw this recently, I liked it more than Crystal Skull, but slot it behind the original trilogy. 5.5 out of 10.

Raiders 9.5/10

Last Crusade 8/10

Temple 6.5/10

Dial 5.5/10

Crystal Skull 3.5/10

On 7/7/2023 at 8:27 AM, Artboy99 said:

saw this recently, I liked it more than Crystal Skull, but slot it behind the original trilogy. 5.5 out of 10.

Raiders 9.5/10

Last Crusade 8/10

Temple 6.5/10

Dial 5.5/10

Crystal Skull 3.5/10

Would you pay to see it or is it more meant for mindless watching on Saturday Afternoon?

Edited by piper

On 7/7/2023 at 8:56 AM, piper said:

Would you pay to see it or is it more meant for mindless watching on Saturday Afternoon?

would you pay to take your family to see the Temple of Doom?

It is around that level.

Edited by Artboy99

On 7/7/2023 at 9:26 AM, Artboy99 said:

would you pay to take your family to see the Temple of Doom?

It is around that level.

I saw it at the Theatre in 1984 and 12 year old me liked it.  There's no way I could rewatch TOD now

On 7/7/2023 at 1:24 PM, piper said:

I saw it at the Theatre in 1984 and 12 year old me liked it.  There's no way I could rewatch TOD now

This.

I was younger when I saw Temple of Doom in the theater - my mom & I actually stayed in our seats and watched it again (back-to-back).

Despite that... it's not good. Like...at all.

On 7/7/2023 at 11:24 AM, piper said:

Same here - and I've tried to re-watch. It's just not that great. Now Raiders or Last Crusade? I can re-watch those once a year, easy.

Had a debate today about which was better 1st or 3rd Indy. I picked 3rd as the best since Sean Conery was great and the story had much more substance and fun parts.  1st was still great and a true classic but I but #3 as the best Indy movie by a smidge.

On 7/7/2023 at 12:49 PM, 1Cool said:

Had a debate today about which was better 1st or 3rd Indy. I picked 3rd as the best since Sean Conery was great and the story had much more substance and fun parts.  1st was still great and a true classic but I but #3 as the best Indy movie by a smidge.

I think I would agree. The 3rd movie had the benefit of everyone knowing who Indy was, doing some flashback stuff and introducing his dad, and it being Sean Connery in a classic performance didn't hurt. You couldn't explore those concepts on Raiders because they wouldn't have carried any emotional weight. Bringing it in on the 3rd movie was masterful and made it such a cool flick. I love them both equally, but #3 is quite awesome from start to finish.

On a side note, I always get nostalgic over Indiana Jones - it was the first drive-in movie I went to and it was with my dad in 1981. I can still remember and feel what it was like to sit in the car and watch the movie, and how interesting it was to my 8 year old self. And yep, the face melting part gave me nightmares - to which my dad probably laughed about.

On 7/7/2023 at 3:07 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I think I would agree. The 3rd movie had the benefit of everyone knowing who Indy was, doing some flashback stuff and introducing his dad, and it being Sean Connery in a classic performance didn't hurt. You couldn't explore those concepts on Raiders because they wouldn't have carried any emotional weight. Bringing it in on the 3rd movie was masterful and made it such a cool flick. I love them both equally, but #3 is quite awesome from start to finish.

On a side note, I always get nostalgic over Indiana Jones - it was the first drive-in movie I went to and it was with my dad in 1981. I can still remember and feel what it was like to sit in the car and watch the movie, and how interesting it was to my 8 year old self. And yep, the face melting part gave me nightmares - to which my dad probably laughed about.

The ending on #1 was definitely a lot more memorable than the end of #3 (except the named the dog Indiana part) since who remembers the old knight in the cave.  But as a whole I just find #3 was just more enjoyable by a smidge.  I picked the recent Dial movie ahead of #2 but they all beat the stupid skull one.

My favorites are

Raiders

Temple of Doom

Last.Crusade

Dial of Destiny

Crystal Skull

TOD is one of the most action packed movies ever made, and it's a lot more like a serial than any of the other movies(including the first one). John Williams does some of his all time best scoring for TOD.  Last Crusade's score is anemic compared to the first two(but I do love the Grail leitmotif, and the movie itself is fantastic). But TOD has a special place in my heart(hopefully it doesn't get ripped out).