• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney's Indiana Jones
3 3

413 posts in this topic

On 7/8/2023 at 6:40 AM, Larryw7 said:

My favorites are

Raiders

Temple of Doom

Last.Crusade

Dial of Destiny

Crystal Skull

TOD is one of the most action packed movies ever made, and it's a lot more like a serial than any of the other movies(including the first one). John Williams does some of his all time best scoring for TOD.  Last Crusade's score is anemic compared to the first two(but I do love the Grail leitmotif, and the movie itself is fantastic). But TOD has a special place in my heart(hopefully it doesn't get ripped out).

For me:

• Raiders
  • Last Crusade
  • Dial of Destiny
  • Temple of Doom
  • The Alien Debacle

Wow, Dial of Destiny is almost completely exiting my area starting Friday.  Right now it's showing every hour on the hour everywhere, but starting Friday it's going from around a dozen theatres down to just two of the smaller ones.

I know it's struggling relative to expectations, but is it struggling THAT much relative to everything else they could be showing?  Very odd to see it exit theatres here so fast when it was still the #2 movie this past weekend.

On 7/11/2023 at 8:56 AM, fantastic_four said:

Wow, Dial of Destiny is almost completely exiting my area starting Friday. starting Friday it's going from around a dozen theatres down to just two of the smaller ones.

but is it struggling THAT much relative to everything else they could be showing?  Very odd to see it exit theatres here so fast when it was still the #2 movie this past weekend.

Agreed. Guess Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning part 1 is bulldozing The Flash, Dial of Destiny, Elementals, and live action 'Little Mermaid' off the big screens in USA and Canada.

On 7/11/2023 at 12:13 PM, aardvark88 said:

Agreed. Guess Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning part 1 is bulldozing The Flash, Dial of Destiny, Elementals, and live action 'Little Mermaid' off the big screens in USA and Canada.

It is, apparently the tickets pre-sales are high for MI, so theaters are making room. They are predicting a $250M + opening world wide.

Yes, DoD is way under expectations, and some are predicting it may not crack $400M. 

Edited by drotto

Wait...I forgot that sometimes theatres don't list showtimes for weekends until around Wednesday.  Dial of Destiny showtimes may pop up tomorrow for the weekend.

On 7/7/2023 at 2:49 PM, 1Cool said:

Had a debate today about which was better 1st or 3rd Indy. I picked 3rd as the best since Sean Conery was great and the story had much more substance and fun parts.  1st was still great and a true classic but I but #3 as the best Indy movie by a smidge.

I agree. 

Last Crusade is a 98 out of 100 for me. 
One of the best movies ever made. 

Raiders is a solid 89. 

This is just the beginning re: theatre results disappointing. I have a just to turn 18 yo and 19 yo at home, and they rarely go to the movies. They stream everything. I can see a time in the not too distant future where there are hardly any movie theatres as they will be replaced by headsets and then lenses. My theatre movie-viewing is down to just a handful of shows now with comic collector friends. Otherwise, my wife and I prefer to watch movies at home.

On 7/11/2023 at 6:57 PM, kimik said:

This is just the beginning re: theatre results disappointing. I have a just to turn 18 yo and 19 yo at home, and they rarely go to the movies. They stream everything. I can see a time in the not too distant future where there are hardly any movie theatres as they will be replaced by headsets and then lenses. My theatre movie-viewing is down to just a handful of shows now with comic collector friends. Otherwise, my wife and I prefer to watch movies at home.

Good points.  Movies theaters were originally created since people didn’t have tvs and it was a way for the masses to see stuff.  We now have movies on our phones, in our homes via big screens, some day on VR headsets.   There is a fun factor to seeing a movie opening weekend with other fans but that experience seems to be fading in yesteryears.  I’m hearing drive in theaters are having a come back since you can do it cheap and get out of the house without sitting next to a talker or a guy snoring.  There will always be theaters but I see a lot of closures and consolidation happening over the next decade.

On 7/11/2023 at 4:57 PM, kimik said:

It can be expensive to see a movie and if the film is a turd then you feel burned and are perhaps less likely to go to the next movie (thanks Antman Quantumania!)

On 7/11/2023 at 7:11 PM, 1Cool said:

Good points.  Movies theaters were originally created since people didn’t have tvs and it was a way for the masses to see stuff.  We now have movies on our phones, in our homes via big screens, some day on VR headsets.   There is a fun factor to seeing a movie opening weekend with other fans but that experience seems to be fading in yesteryears.  I’m hearing drive in theaters are having a come back since you can do it cheap and get out of the house without sitting next to a talker or a guy snoring.  There will always be theaters but I see a lot of closures and consolidation happening over the next decade.

When I was kid, we did the drive-in movie theatre that was by Memphis Kiddie Park very regularly. 

Can't find a graph that goes back farther, but I remember an article stating that during the peak, there was over 5,000 drive-in theatres in the US.

U.S.: annual number of drive-in cinema sites | Statista

That was an affordable night out back in the day.

-bc

On 7/11/2023 at 7:26 PM, bc said:

When I was kid, we did the drive-in movie theatre that was by Memphis Kiddie Park very regularly. 

Can't find a graph that goes back farther, but I remember an article stating that during the peak, there was over 5,000 drive-in theatres in the US.

U.S.: annual number of drive-in cinema sites | Statista

That was an affordable night out back in the day.

-bc

I’ve never been a big fan but we didn’t have one in Fairbanks when I was growing up but I loved theaters during the cold winter.  But things change and I don’t see a future where owning a movie theater will be a good investment.

The only thing I like about going to the theatre is that you do not have to take the time to make/prep the snacks. I prefer someone else to make my popcorn with layered butter as I get older. lol 

That being said, you do have unlimited refills at home.

Edited by kimik

On 7/11/2023 at 5:26 PM, Artboy99 said:

It can be expensive to see a movie and if the film is a turd then you feel burned and are perhaps less likely to go to the next movie (thanks Antman Quantumania!)

And when boardie(s) who I will not name sleep through them at the VIP theatre. lol 

As bad as that viewing of Ant-Man 3 was, I can't help but feel that The Batman was almost worse as it was almost as bad of a film and we had to sit there nearly an extra hour. 

On 7/11/2023 at 6:18 PM, D2 said:

I agree. 

Last Crusade is a 98 out of 100 for me. 
One of the best movies ever made. 

Raiders is a solid 89. 

Oh no no no no no....

Sorry, not here to argue.  Just have to disagree with completely incorrect take and run away.   :slapfight:

On topic:  this movie was very medium-minus.  I liked the opening.  I actually thought the de-aging effect on Harrison Ford was some of the best I've seen.  Quickly started going downhill with Phoebe Waller-Bridge's completely awful and amoral character.  Pretty good chase scenes.  Nazi's popping up everywhere got a bit eyerolling.  Villain's master plan dumb.  Ending twist was at least somewhat interesting.  But then the final resolution was back to dumb.  And I was particularly annoyed with:

Spoiler

how they handled Marion.  Almost painful for me to watch.  This ending only works if you have her actually be IN the movie before this.  It was audience pandering of the highest order.  

So, not a complete disaster, but far from a triumphant return.  

On 7/11/2023 at 8:36 PM, kimik said:

And when boardie(s) who I will not name sleep through them at the VIP theatre. lol 

As bad as that viewing of Ant-Man 3 was, I can't help but feel that The Batman was almost worse as it was almost as bad of a film and we had to sit there nearly an extra hour. 

The Batman looks like a box office titan after the last few comic movies. 120 million opening weekend, domestic gross of 373 million, and about another 400 million internationally. That's probably going to be the new normal for the vast majority of "blockbusters" going forward.

I’ve been of the opinion, especially after Crystal Skull, that Dr Jones should be left on the shelf. Finally got to see this last night and I was pleasantly surprised. It’s not as good as the original three (nothing will ever compare with the lightning in the bottle that is Raiders) but this felt like an Indiana Jones comic book adventure that I used to read when I was kid. Yeah the de-aged Jones CGI looks cartoonish and the chase sequences and very unrealistic but those are easily overlooked imo.  DoD seems like the appropriate send-off for this character.