• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney's Indiana Jones
3 3

413 posts in this topic

On 6/11/2023 at 11:36 AM, Brandon Shepherd said:

I haven’t been to a movie theater since Wonder Woman (2017). From what I hear now, seems like buying a movie ticket is like buying a concert ticket, with pre-sales, assigned seating and bunch of other bs. Is there still a box office? :preach:

Find a matinee on a weekday for a movie that has been out a few weeks... see how low you can get the total cost.

Looks like the reddit spoilers I posted a while ago were true.  Which means that the ending of the movie was definitely reshot.  When you watch, it should be very clear exactly how the movie was reshot and what scene was added and what we can presume was cut. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 6/28/2023 at 3:47 PM, Larryw7 said:

Buzz, do you have a link to the info about those old spoilers being true?

The spoilers to the actual movie that is being released or what was filmed prior to the reshoot?

On 6/15/2023 at 3:14 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I got my June 28th prescreen pass to see this, but it is ways out in time and place. Lord Willing. I "think" this will be the 1st to ever see in theaters, as we were a blockbuster vhs family mostly as a kid. Kingdom Skull was dvd as well (thumbsu

I got too much going on and decided to skip it. I might have gone to the mission impossible had I got one.

Too much going on sometimes  :)

On 5/21/2023 at 9:58 PM, Buzzetta said:

I just read the entire synopsis ... 

ehhhh

Just like JJ Abrams and Rian Johnson made everyone appreciate the prequels it looks like this movie will make everyone appreciate Kingdom of the Crystal Skull in giving Indiana Jones the ending he never knew he wanted or needed in being married and finding out he had a son.

However, I can definitely see where the reshot ending was done in the synopsis.  It is VERY clear what they did. 

Spoiler for the end of the movie. 

Hide contents

Last chance... I don't want to hear from any board members they do not have any self control - you have been warned.

Hide contents

The movie ends with Indiana Jones being pulled to the present and is laying in bed bandaged up.  He is in bed disappointed because he feels he has nothing left in the "current" timeline.  As far as we know up to this point Mutt has died and he is divorced from Marion and is dependent on alcohol to get through the day.  Marion suddenly comes into the apartment with groceries and after some banter asks, "Where does it hurt?" in a callback to the first movie.  They rekindle their relationship and Indiana gets as happy of an ending as he can. 

This is most likely the new ending and would support the original idea that Indy is left in the past and his niece takes over in the present.  Supposedly in the original version shot before Iger took over, Jones laments that his future self has suffered great loss and remains in the past to seek out new adventures and things.  Iger reportedly felt that this was an unreleasable movie with this ending and asked for reshoots which is where we get the above from.

Full spoiler: 

So for @Bosco685 and @Larryw7

The above quoted post is mine from May 21st.  That is the entire synopsis and actual ending for the movie that you will see this week. 

Here is the spoiler for what Iger probably shook his head at and demanded a reshoot. 

Spoiler

Last chance

Spoiler

It looks like John Williams was right when he said during a concert that he was scoring the new ending.  Disney went into panic mode because William's comments supported the rumor that Iger demanded a new ending.  Here is what the original ending was supposed to be.

When you see the movie you will get to the end where Indiana Jones tells his god daughter that he wants to stay in the past and 'live' the history that he explored.  The original reports of the ending circulating last year indicated that she would have gone to the present leaving Jones in the past.  This would have been Indiana Jones version of a happy ending as his son Mutt died in Vietnam.  The strain of losing Mutt caused his marriage to fall apart from Marion after Jones turned to alcohol as is still heavily suggested in the film and Waller Bridge would have returned to the present with the fedora suggesting that she would pursue new adventures. 

The "cut" for lack of a better word will be a new scene of Waller Bridge's character punching Harrison Ford in the face.   Once she does that, we have arrived at the first new scene for the new version ending.  The new version takes place with him in a bed waking up with the audience to assume that Waller Bridge knocked him out to drag him to the present.  As he complains that there is nothing for him anymore in the present, it seems that Iger brought in Karen Allen as Marion at the last second to reconcile with Jones and put a cap on the entire series.  This allows Jones to have a happy ending and retire.  They repeat the "where does it hurt" sequence from Raiders. 

Mangold was probably very annoyed with his experience with Disney and Iger as this is definitely not the movie he sought to make.   Like Rogue One it was changed toward the end.   The new ending is definitely better.  I just hope audiences see it that way as well.  I am still going to see it in the theaters. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 6/28/2023 at 6:41 PM, Buzzetta said:

So for @Bosco685 and @Larryw7

The above quoted post is mine from May 21st.  That is the entire synopsis and actual ending for the movie that you will see this week. 

Here is the spoiler for what Iger probably shook his head at and demanded a reshoot. 

Hide contents

Last chance

Hide contents

It looks like John Williams was right when he said during a concert that he was scoring the new ending.  Disney went into panic mode because William's comments supported the rumor that Iger demanded a new ending.  Here is what the original ending was supposed to be.

When you see the movie you will get to the end where Indiana Jones tells his god daughter that he wants to stay in the past and 'live' the history that he explored.  The original reports of the ending circulating last year indicated that she would have gone to the present leaving Jones in the past.  This would have been Indiana Jones version of a happy ending as his son Mutt died in Vietnam.  The strain of losing Mutt caused his marriage to fall apart from Marion after Jones turned to alcohol as is still heavily suggested in the film and Waller Bridge would have returned to the present with the fedora suggesting that she would pursue new adventures. 

The "cut" for lack of a better word will be a new scene of Waller Bridge's character punching Harrison Ford in the face.   Once she does that, we have arrived at the first new scene for the new version ending.  The new version takes place with him in a bed waking up with the audience to assume that Waller Bridge knocked him out to drag him to the present.  As he complains that there is nothing for him anymore in the present, it seems that Iger brought in Karen Allen as Marion at the last second to reconcile with Jones and put a cap on the entire series.  This allows Jones to have a happy ending and retire.  They repeat the "where does it hurt" sequence from Raiders. 

Mangold was probably very annoyed with his experience with Disney and Iger as this is definitely not the movie he sought to make.   Like Rogue One it was changed toward the end.   The new ending is definitely better.  I just hope audiences see it that way as well.  I am still going to see it in the theaters. 

:foryou:

On 6/28/2023 at 6:17 PM, Buzzetta said:

The spoilers to the actual movie that is being released or what was filmed prior to the reshoot?

Sorry, I should have been more specific. The stuff that was filmed before the reshoot.

Projections for this opening weekend are $65 million, and $145 million world wide.  As Variety articles says, ouch when you have a reported budget of $295 million (many people are claiming it is higher), and the marketing spend looks massive on this film, at least $150 million.  All those Superball ads and big parties at film festivals are not cheap. So they have spent $450 million on this movie?  That makes profitable at $850 to $900 million? Anyone see it getting there?

I know I harp on budgets a lot recently, but this is exactly why.  Even when numbers appear ok to good for box office, and for the average person 100's of millions is a big number.  Regardless, movie companies (Disney seems to be the worst) are absolutely killing any chance for profit on these films.   In the current market, you just can not spend that much money to make a movie, when, to make the numbers work, you need boarderline record breaking box office every time you release a film.

https://variety.com/2023/film/box-office/box-office-indiana-jones-5-opening-weekend-estimate-1235655985/

Much better than I thought it would be.  I liked it.  Friend turned to me at the end and said the same.  It was far better than he “thought it deserved to be.”

My spoilers that I posted from Reddit last month were accurate.  Even knowing what I knew I enjoyed this a lot.

For those that worry, Waller Bridge was not as insufferable as I assumed she would be.   

Mangold may not have released the version that he wanted to but Disney released the version of Mangold’s movie that worked. 

Music is on point.  A little long in parts.  Action makes sense.  Who rescues who and under what circumstances make sense as well and no one actually outdoes it. 

3/4 stars

On 6/29/2023 at 2:32 PM, drotto said:

Projections for this opening weekend are $65 million, and $145 million world wide.  As Variety articles says, ouch when you have a reported budget of $295 million (many people are claiming it is higher), and the marketing spend looks massive on this film, at least $150 million.  All those Superball ads and big parties at film festivals are not cheap. So they have spent $450 million on this movie?  That makes profitable at $850 to $900 million? Anyone see it getting there?

I know I harp on budgets a lot recently, but this is exactly why.  Even when numbers appear ok to good for box office, and for the average person 100's of millions is a big number.  Regardless, movie companies (Disney seems to be the worst) are absolutely killing any chance for profit on these films.   In the current market, you just can not spend that much money to make a movie, when, to make the numbers work, you need boarderline record breaking box office every time you release a film.

https://variety.com/2023/film/box-office/box-office-indiana-jones-5-opening-weekend-estimate-1235655985/

I’ve commented on this before.  For the movie industry to survive they need to go “smaller”.  I have a love for the franchise so I wanted to see this day one.  I am at the point where I merely wait to see the movie on a streaming service or I pirate it.  Unless it’s date night or a group outing, not many things are “must see”. 

The studios will not die, but they will suffer the growing pains that the music industry has and they need to wholly reinvent themselves. 

On 6/29/2023 at 3:12 PM, Buzzetta said:

I’ve commented on this before.  For the movie industry to survive they need to go “smaller”.  I have a love for the franchise so I wanted to see this day one.  I am at the point where I merely wait to see the movie on a streaming service or I pirate it.  Unless it’s date night or a group outing, not many things are “must see”. 

The studios will not die, but they will suffer the growing pains that the music industry has and they need to wholly reinvent themselves. 

By smaller do you mean streaming?

Nothing is more boring than watching an action movie at home.

Edited by NewWorldOrder