• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action Figure Cover Thread!

2,130 posts in this topic

Anyone else see this? If you bought the issue last night, you can purchase CGC grading services through his art rep to get blue labels: HERE or yellow SS: HERE

So he'll pick up the book from JTC and have it graded. Though no mention of any grade guarantee.

And he kept the 5 or so colored Boba Fetts 9.9's for himself and listed those on ebay.

Since he made so much bank off the books and over charging for shipping if he did have that many as I can't confirm. It would have been very cool of him to give back a little and hold a free contest for one of them.

They are listed on his site now,

http://www.moregreatart.com/store/star-wars-4-boba-fett-action-figure-variant/

Anyone else see this? If you bought the issue last night, you can purchase CGC grading services through his art rep to get blue labels: HERE or yellow SS: HERE

So he'll pick up the book from JTC and have it graded. Though no mention of any grade guarantee.

And he kept the 5 or so colored Boba Fetts 9.9's for himself and listed those on ebay.

Since he made so much bank off the books and over charging for shipping if he did have that many as I can't confirm. It would have been very cool of him to give back a little and hold a free contest for one of them.

Aahhhhhhhhhhh My eyes! My eyes!! lol It burns!!! I thought they were CGC prior to the click.

Aahhhhhhhhhhh My eyes! My eyes!! lol It burns!!! I thought they were CGC prior to the click.

Sorry I should have warned you! lol

My apologies, I meant to clarify that anything/anyone is a candidate. Not only within the Star Wars world.

I think a Harley AF cover in the BTAS style similar to what they did with the Grey Ghost/Batman 2-pack in Gotham Adventures #3 would be pretty hot if offered as a limited variant. It still would probably not rival the Boba frenzy as her figure doesn't have the added desirability of being a several-thousand-dollar figure, but that's the only one I can think of.

41k1jTJL2kL._SX425_.jpg

Also, JTC could've really messed with everyone if he'd done a chase "double-telescoping" variant on the Luke, Darth and Ben with subtly altered tips on the sabers.

My apologies, I meant to clarify that anything/anyone is a candidate. Not only within the Star Wars world.

I think a Harley AF cover in the BTAS style similar to what they did with the Grey Ghost/Batman 2-pack in Gotham Adventures #3 would be pretty hot if offered as a limited variant. It still would probably not rival the Boba frenzy as her figure doesn't have the added desirability of being a several-thousand-dollar figure, but that's the only one I can think of.

41k1jTJL2kL._SX425_.jpg

Also, JTC could've really messed with everyone if he'd done a chase "double-telescoping" variant on the Luke, Darth and Ben with subtly altered tips on the sabers.

Well, now my wallet I hope he never reads this thread.

Jerome

Edited by jump_ace

Let's keep in mind here that he's a professional artist, not a comic retailer, and there will be time spent sending everything out that would not have otherwise been spent in that regard. Or he'll have others do it, which will likely mean paying those person for their time.

Let's keep in mind here that he's a professional artist, not a comic retailer, and there will be time spent sending everything out that would not have otherwise been spent in that regard. Or he'll have others do it, which will likely mean paying those person for their time.

Which is where the profit from selling a $2.50 book for $20 comes in.

Why is this book so popular & more importantly, why are people willing to pay so much?

Is it key a issue or something?

Edited by blackswan

Why is this book so popular & more importantly, why are people willing to pay so much?

You mean boba fett? it's boba fett, transcends comic collectors and spills over to Star Wars freaks...plus there's only 3,000 copies and considering the print run of most Star Wars comics that really not much, plus it's not sold in stores, and it sold out in under 20 minutes....actually 8 minutes and then the store crashed.

Its just people chasing a variant. The reasons Krighton mentioned are why its doing better than most.

With the first Boba cover still seeing 50+, I think this one will settle above that for at least a while.

You mean boba fett? it's boba fett, transcends comic collectors and spills over to Star Wars freaks...plus there's only 3,000 copies and considering the print run of most Star Wars comics that really not much, plus it's not sold in stores, and it sold out in under 20 minutes....actually 8 minutes and then the store crashed.

3000 copies are how many copies of most of the Star Wars #1 variants were printed at. 1500 copies for the b&w variants. So, only 3000 copies has been pretty standard for a Star Wars store exclusive.

The actual answer to the question is hype. 5 - 10 years from now, nobody is going to care, but these action figure covers are the du jour of the moment. And speculators are more than happy to keep the machine rolling. And the pumpers on these boards.

Edited by rjrjr

3000 copies are how many copies of most of the Star Wars #1 variants were printed at. 1500 copies for the b&w variants. So, only 3000 copies has been pretty standard for a Star Wars store exclusive.

The actual answer to the question is hype. 5 - 10 years from now, nobody is going to care, but these action figure covers are the du jour of the moment. And speculators are more than happy to keep the machine rolling. And the pumpers on these boards.

this is Star Wars....35-40 years later people still care.

this is Star Wars....35-40 years later people still care.

\

Today, sure. I've been collecting Star Wars (and other) comics for a long, long time. This is cyclical. Don't kid yourself into believe it is "different" this time.

And despite what some would have you believe, there are lots of Star Wars fans. But very, very few Star Wars comic fans in comparison.

Keep pumping... Franklin Mint would be proud!

When the new movie comes out, it will be the perfect time to list full runs of action figure sets for new a generation fans to buy in.

That is the plan. (thumbs u

FWIW, they were selling well at shows this spring as well. :banana:

When the new movie comes out, it will be the perfect time to list full runs of action figure sets for new a generation fans to buy in.

I wonder what a full set could go for?

I wonder what a full set could go for?

I'd guess less than if they were broken up and sold during the high point for each cover, yet that's come and gone for a few. Come movie time I think most collectors would already have the ones they want the most and with a few more to come before the movie the previous covers will dip a bit by then. Just my opinion.