• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicConnect Event Auction!

794 posts in this topic

Glad I picked up a Tec 31 before the CC auction started :banana: What I see, a few have mentioned already is that the mid to higher graded copies are getting priced out for most buyers now and that lower graded copies will generate the biggest demands. This book just skyrocketed tremendously every year the past 5 years with perhaps no signs of stopping. It's truly an iconic classic cover that most collectors like myself would want to have in their collection. I'm just fortunate to be back in the club. I've said almost every year after selling my set that I want to be back, but didn't want to overpay for a copy. Look now at what happened, I ended paying more for my copy where I could have had a higher graded copy 2-3 years ago. If one truly wants the book, just bite the bullet and pay the price (at least for GA keys). SA, BA, and so forth, you can probably sit on it and see what happens.

And seeing where the 0.5 is now, I wish I would have pursued this copy harder, but I was in the process of acquiring my 2.5 so my focus was elsewhere. In retrospect, I would've been happy with 2 copies! Kudos to you though!

One of the best lessons I've learned over the years is to get away from the mentality of stopping myself from acquiring a book now because I paid so much less for a higher graded copy years ago. The market for these key books continues to move forward.

Thanks! I'm glad I didn't get another bid because I believe I was one or two bids away from being outbidded lol

I wouldn't be surprised if that 0.5 copy sells for around $25k. Front cover has strong eye appeal regardless of it not having an original back cover. I'm curious to see how high the 4.5 will sell for though :popcorn:

the classic covers and GA keys will continue to increase in value as demand is relentless and supply is so few. Biting the bullet now and holding will realize in time the price paid was perhaps silly at the time, but worth it long term.

Maybe, but since this is clearly the majority view, I guess I will put on again my Debbie Downer hat: It's always dangerous to assume that prices can go in only one direction.

sure, nothing's guaranteed but we can only look at history of the marketplace which suggests an upward swing. Price resistance and downward cycles are bound to possibly happen

And prior to 2006, there was decades of evidence that U.S. housing prices never decline by more than 20%. This isn't the place to rehash the endless debate over comics as an investment. I just feel the urge to occasionally throw up a caution sign in the face of the (seeming) consensus that GA keys can only go up over the long run.

good point Tony. Fire sale! lol

It's what I'm hoping for! :D

Bidding on the 4.5 is starting to heat up...
after sitting at just under 40 for days, it went from $39k to $60k in a flash

I think bidders saw what was happening on the 0.5 and it gave them confidence to start bidding higher on the 4.5.

Most buyers wait for the market to indicate what price that they should pay. But often times by that point, the market has passed them.

Educated buyers who have confidence in where they think the market is going spend accordingly.

the 4.5 was bound to get ponied up at some point. The .5 bidding certainly pushed the $60k bidder.

Dave's inspirational speech is responsible!

BTW, I'm with Anthoney - nothing goes up forever. Throughout history all keys have had warm and cool periods.

I think bidders saw what was happening on the 0.5 and it gave them confidence to start bidding higher on the 4.5.

Most buyers wait for the market to indicate what price that they should pay. But often times by that point, the market has passed them.

Educated buyers who have confidence in where they think the market is going spend accordingly.

and what if the 0.5 looked like this ?

DETECTIVE_COMICS_31_CGC_CR_OW_FRONT_zps4bf24fcb.jpeg

instead of this

det1.12242a.jpg

and what if the 0.5 looked like this ?

DETECTIVE_COMICS_31_CGC_CR_OW_FRONT_zps4bf24fcb.jpeg

it has the back cover :). I've seen that one in hand.

The tec 31 .5 is over $19k!
that's just crazy

this

Any guesses at the final hammer price now that it is at 19k? I thought this use to be a 17 to 20k per point book. What happened? (shrug)

0.5's always sell higher on a "per point" basis as the most accessible blue label book for many buyers. In this case, it's also buoyed by the fact that a bc is included, so it's closer to a 1.0 than a 0.5.

IMO, this is still a $16k pp book. We'll see how that bears out with the 4.5.

This line of logic is one of the more colorful aspects of the hobby. A potential buyer will often use this type of argument when wanting to buy a book, but a potential seller is likely never going to agree. In my experience, those who are willing to "overpay" for blue chip books like this are the ones who actually wind up owning books like this. And those that stand on these platforms continue to never own these books and more often give up over time as the pricing gets further and further away from their way of thinking. Or they realize that its only their unwillingness to "unstick" their way of thinking that is keeping them from acquiring a book like this and they decide to do whatever it takes.

Books like these often show up in spurts and if you don't take advantage and delude yourself into thinking that another opportunity will arise in the short term, you'll often find that when that next opportunity comes along, the pricing is much higher than before. And then you wind up posting in one of those threads where you tell a story about how you regret passing on something when you were offered it because now the price seems so much cheaper.

GA is not SA. My philosophy has always been to pay whatever it takes when an opportunity arises if the timing is right. I have never regretted any of those purchases.

Well, I guess I don't need think about it too hard since you've already played it all out in your mind! lol

I'm perfectly content in the fact that I am not a buyer for this book at these inflated prices. I understand the book is hot and has gained a lot of momentum in recent years. And, yes, that could certainly continue. From my vantage point, though, this is currently the most overheated of all of the pre-Robin Tecs, and there are several other issues in the run that now look like a relative steal in comparison. As such, I think my dollar goes much farther with some of the other issues. IMO, it's just as likely that Tec 31 levels off and some of the other issues begin to make up some ground. I just know that based on current prices, I'd rather be buying into Tec 29 @ $11k per point or Tec 35 @ $8k per point than Tec 31 @ $17k+ per point. To me personally, Tec 31 simply isn't worth the premium it is currently commanding.

In some cases, they also know when to pull back the reigns a bit and not get caught up in all of the hysteria. Past returns are not necessarily an indication of future performance.

In some cases, they also know when to pull back the reigns a bit and not get caught up in all of the hysteria. Past returns are not necessarily an indication of future performance.

(thumbs u

For the record, I love Tec #31, I think the book is hot as heck and regret selling my copy. I think it's one of the best covers of the GA for sure.

Correct, and that line of thinking is already contained within my statement. Spending accordingly pertains as much to laying out money as it does to keeping it.

I like bubbles

So do I

4b6bd0153be4180df6e82606fec2cbf2.jpg

lol

Btw - this auction is loaded with things I rarely see. Even I am playing in this auction with the intent to walk away with "something" gold.