• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicConnect Event Auction!

794 posts in this topic

there doesn't seem to be nearly the level of concern we see at our end of the collecting universe.

Have you met comic collectors????

Were completely nutso!

:insane:

Myself included.

:hi:

there doesn't seem to be nearly the level of concern we see at our end of the collecting universe.

Were completely nutso!

Myself included.

like telling us fire is hot.

Were completely nutso!

Myself included.

like telling us fire is hot.

Why don't you go watch True Lies again.

Were completely nutso!

Myself included.

Kenny! :hi:

Well said, if CGC decides some resto is called "conservation" and gives it a blue label, it opens the door for massive interpretation, much like cleaning and pressing to a higher grade, in my humble opinion, cheapens the value of the book in my eyes yet increases the value (most of the time) on the open market.... getting crazier indeed

The conserved label is different from the universal label. It has a purple strip on top with "CGC CONSERVED GRADE" written large, and the work done is listed. If you miss it, you're really not paying attention.

I understand that, my point is when CGC introduced these new grading measures, including The Introduction of the Conservation Scale....Specific repairs done to improve the structural integrity and long-term preservation of a comic book will now be classified as "conservation" and designated with a blue/purple label, its silly, either its a blue or a purple label..... Much like the act of cleaning and pressing for a higher grade is a farce, the book gets thoroughly evaluated and then graded, to crack it open, do some doctoring, then resubmit it and maintain that pristine blue label is a joke

I'm not a coin collector but do the coin slabbing companies have different colored labels for coins that are pure vs worked on?

I haven't been active in coins for a year or so..... and I will check details later, but as I recall, the procedure today is to "authenticate" the coin and then give it an apparent grade when unacceptable levels of work (primarily cleaning) has been done. The label is the same color IIRC. Depending on scarcity, the item will sell for varying degrees of FMV. In the early days, those "tainted" coins would be returned ungraded in what was referred to as a "body bag". The coin slabbing market has existed quite a bit longer than comic slabbing and what was once the first and most respected company has now dropped to a distant third. CGC's parent company NGC is generally regarded as # 2. On the NGC forum, sales and discussions/posts of any slab is allowed on the Forum. This forum is accessable though this same website from the Forum List....and your same User ID and Password will allow answering and creating posts there. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

+1 Very well said, Roy.

+2 :headbang:

This is a perspective I share as well & have written about ad nauseam.

I agree with many of your points. However a restored book should not "look" like an un - restored book once it had been slabbed. We cannot inspect these things ourselves once they're entombed and it should be readily apparent (no pun intended) when a book that is slabbed has been restored. It should be easy and obvious to see even the most novice of collector. It is clear that that is not the goal of CBCS's labeling system.

CBCS is 15 years late to the comic grading and slabbing game. And they want to have their cake and eat it too. They want to kow-tow to the restored comic book collector and seller by making his book look like an un-restored book in their slabs. Yet they also want to cash in on the established blue label universal grade colour identifying system that CGC has used for a decade and half.

I'm not saying they are being "deceptive", but I do think their system has a stink to it. Not the same kind of stink as PGX. But a fairly pungent reek in its own right. Needless to say, you can count me in the camp that would never buy one of their slabs. lol

-J.

I think you're looking for something nefarious when there isn't anything.

When Borock worked for CGC years ago he was already in favor of a blue label for all books (meaning restored and unrestored) and many board members (me included) agreed with the idea. I went on to be accused of having an agenda, of trying to sell restored books as unrestored, etc. All sorts of venom thrown my way even though my business model rarely includes (or included) restored books.

My own opinion is similar to that of bluchip's - the purple label created a much larger negative reaction for restored books than anyone expected and an all blue label forces people to think about what they are buying and what they will pay for it, rather than just create a pavlovian response of 'yes' or 'no'.

I think they should have created their own unique labeling system and done whatever the heck they wanted, instead of deliberately parroting what CGC has already been doing for 15 years, and then diluting and confusing matters. Their intentions may not be "nefarious" but they are certainly calculated. My 2 cents.

-J.

I respectfully disagree with your overall assessment. Calculated, yes, as are all competitive businesses, but to suggest that either company is "parroting" the other is a cage liner too far.

As I see it, CGC & CBCS labels are substantially different, including the use of different encapsulation materials. In fact, each company's signature series labels have different color coding and unique services (one provides true signature authentication; the other provides staged events & a witness).

Are there similarities between the two companies? Sure, but using the analogy of a hamster instead of a parrot, why should any viable competitor be expected to reinvent the wheel. (shrug)

PS: Sorry if I ruffled any feathers. :foryou:

Excellent responses from all. Love the extended metaphor David.

I think they should have created their own unique labeling system and done whatever the heck they wanted, instead of deliberately parroting what CGC has already been doing for 15 years, and then diluting and confusing matters.

I'm not confused.

Neither am I and I would be very surprised whether any collector who has 50k+ to spend on a Sups 1 is either. I would bet even those with the deepest pockets read the label before pulling the trigger, and for those who do not I guess it is a case of caveat emptor.

Reading the label before bidding or buying is for the intelligent people.

I've seen plenty of blue-label books that say "very minor color touch on cover" or "very minor amount of glue on spine of cover." This is especially true of many of the Mile High books, which have always seemed to get preferential treatment w.r.t. the color of the label. I've always approached those books just like they had P.L.O.D.s, meaning I've rarely bid on them at all, and when I have, my max bid has been a fraction of what I'd pay for an unrestored pedigree copy.

I think what most people are saying is "if the color of the label degrades the price of the book, change it to a color that doesn't (purple should be blue with notes). If the color of the label increases the price of the book, well that's okay (yellow should stay yellow)". Makes sense to me.

Blue? Purple? Blue and Purple?

Price per point?

Do you all read what you write?

I for one don't give a damn.

For heavens' sake! Enjoy the hobby and the books.

....Stop making sense, Bill..... you can be banned for that :baiting: GOD BLESS....

Price per point?

....Stop making sense, Bill..... you can be banned for that :baiting: GOD BLESS....

:sorry:

It's been a long day, I'm tired so please don't rip me a new one but I was just checking this thread out quickly. Did I see mention that the "new" grading company is or will be doing autograph certification? IE: I want to get my say: Jack Kirby autograph authenticated, they will do it and slab it for a fee?

I've been getting books autographed usually in ball point pen inside on the artist's story for years. (I never had to pay for a single one either!) I know they are real because I watched them do it. I've always wondered how I could convince someone that Schomburg or Kane or Barks really signed them. If this is true and affordable this is a real game changer.

Price per point?

Amen brother! This is really kind of boring. Go open up and smell those Mile Highs!

It's been a long day, I'm tired so please don't rip me a new one but I was just checking this thread out quickly. Did I see mention that the "new" grading company is or will be doing autograph certification? IE: I want to get my say: Jack Kirby autograph authenticated, they will do it and slab it for a fee?

I've been getting books autographed usually in ball point pen inside on the artist's story for years. (I never had to pay for a single one either!) I know they are real because I watched them do it. I've always wondered how I could convince someone that Schomburg or Kane or Barks really signed them. If this is true and affordable this is a real game changer.

yes

Price per point?

I suspect that many of those who get their panties in a wad over label colors don't buy restored books in the first place. They seem overly concerned that someone else might be willing to pay more for restored books than they think they are worth, and that that will somehow cheapen the value of their unrestored books over time.