• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING starring Tom Holland (7/28/17)
3 3

1,648 posts in this topic

Doesn't matter too much to me if for the MCU MJ is a Latina...I agree with the comment above that a public high school in Queens is going to be exceptionally diverse today, when the MCU is set, than when they wrote ASM in 1962.

Also, Zendaya has an"it" factor that I associate with MJ -- lots of charisma and personal appeal. I'm not sure she can truly act, but I haven't seen her in anything for 4-5 years, so I assume she did very well in the audition.

As usual, I hope they have a kick- -script and also show some loyalty to the relationships (if not the ethnicities) that made Peter and the ASM series so memorable. I loved the way that portrayed Parker in 'Civil War', so I'm hopeful.

Dan

The villain Shocker is getting diversified too apparently? I don't know, I mean it's not a big deal in itself, but when I see arbitrary decisions to change the mythology like this I can't help but think of Fantastic Four and wonder if there's an unending string of more bad decisions in this movie coming that we just haven't heard about yet.

My spidey sense is tingling, I got a bad feeling about this one.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/spider-man/leaked-spider-man-homecoming-call-sheet-confirms-bokeem-woodbine-as-a144667

#29 is the most important person on the call sheet.

I see what you did there. Subtle reference.

Also, Zendaya has an"it" factor that I associate with MJ -- lots of charisma and personal appeal. I'm not sure she can truly act, but I haven't seen her in anything for 4-5 years, so I assume she did very well in the audition.

Dan

With what few episodes I saw, her KC Undercover is your usual generic Disney kids show, but it's appeal lies with what the somewhat unique cast brings to the action cliches. Lead actress Zendaya blends nicely into the ensemble. She should do very well in the Spider-Man cast.

Hey I've said or at least implied that the individual changes aren't the problem. It's the lack of respect and disregard for the source material that usually (but not always) ends up making a movie fail. When all you see are decisions to change things, at this early stage, how can you have faith in the filmmakers? They think they know better then the people that created this mythology, and we've seen over and over, that when film makers go down that road they're usually wrong.

Nick Fury = Black

Avengers = Most successful franchise in the history of movies

(shrug)

Tony Stark = Scottish/English/German/Jewish

Robert Downey = Irish

Howd they not cast THAT correctly? lol

Very successful franchise

(shrug)

Matt Murdock = Northern Irish: variant of Scottish Murdoch

Charlie Cox = English

The Irish should be appalled at this!

Black Panther = T'Challa, name from fictional country of Wakanda

Chadwick Boseman = German

How'd they get away with that one?

Bruce Wayne = English

Ben Affleck = Scottish

Patrick Bateman = English/Scottish

They're getting farther away from the characters real ethnicity! Will the franchise survive?

Superman = Alien from Krypton

Henry Cavill = Earthing from U.K.

Obviously this had an effect on the overall marketability of these movies or they could've been more successful.

And this is the last straw!

Night Nurse = Blonde haired, blue eyed Linda Carter (English)

MIXED with

Claire Temple (English/French), but with brown skin

becomes Rosario Dawson, also English, also with brown skin!

The horror!

Oh wait, Rosario is hot - we'll let that slide....

This English ethnicity mixed with a different skin color must really confuse the culturally dim.

Exactly.

I almost posted again just to point out the Rosario Dawson / Night Nurse one.

Or the Michael Clarke Duncan Kingpin (again - there were problems with this movie -- his casting was not one of them)

But to me so far, the casting of Welsh Christian Bale as Batman & Latina Jessica Alba as Sue Storm take the cake.

No one complained about any of these.

And I'll bet you right now nobody will care about the absurd racial switch if we get Vin Diesel playing Black Bolt.

Dan

With what few episodes I saw, her KC Undercover is your usual generic Disney kids show, but it's appeal lies with what the somewhat unique cast brings to the action cliches. Lead actress Zendaya blends nicely into the ensemble. She should do very well in the Spider-Man cast.

She is also very young so you can play the role for awhile. Disney knows her pretty well and an entire generation has grown up watching her.

Really like the idea behind the Zendaya casting, re: The Fantastic Four, I don't think Michael B. Was an issue at all, the guy has been great in other films, including Creed right after and Chronicle before, which had to be a reason why they looked at him for FF (pairing him back again with Trank).

Marvel has a lot of say in this Spidey film, and thus far they've earned the benefit of the doubt IMHO.

Very excited for this iteration of Spidey, that appearance in Civil War reminded me why I once liked Spider-Man and used to buy all 3 of his titles at once as top shelf books.