• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING starring Tom Holland (7/28/17)
3 3

1,648 posts in this topic

First SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING Promo Poster Features The Wall-Crawler In A Classic Pose

It’s been a while since we had any Spider-Man: Homecoming set photos of Tom Holland in his full web-slinging suit, but this Instagram user (via The Wrap) has filled that void with a photo of what appears to be the first promotional poster for the much-anticipated reboot.

Featuring Spidey giving the two-figure salute while hanging in one of his signature poses, the poster was apparently on display at a fashion trade show in Las Vegas.

TOYFAyRs.jpg

Put me in the not liking it camp. Are those web shooters or Forrest Gump-like braces on his forearms? lol

It's cool, but it does take away from the mythos that he is a poor student that is making it on his own

I think this was why the end of Civil War showed us that he got upgraded tech from Tony.

What worries me isn't the race switch, but the actress playing the part seems like a horrible pick for the role. She obviously just came fresh from Nickelodeon or Disney TV. Not so sure about the Spiderman movie right now...

The race switch worries me in that it seems to serve no purpose relevant to making the story better, and when you start seeing them make questionable decisions like that you have to expect that they're making a whole bunch more.

The issue with diversifying the characters is there is a certain amount of meaning behind the characters and how we perceive them.

For example, they had Michael B Jordan play Human Torch. Great actor, terrible casting. Human Torch is a classic character and one of those that they should not have messed with. I have a good connection with that character since he is so highly regarded in comics.

I also believe Tilda Swinton casted as The Ancient One is highly questionable but really doesn't mean much to me because I'm not that connected with that character. Same with casting a black actor for Baron Mordo...doesn't really mean much to me. Although I would completely understand if a die-hard Dr. Strange fan protested about it.

Same with this...I am heavily connected to MJ. She is a white girl with red hair and green eyes, and in my opinion, she always should be. Maybe someone else doesn't care as much as I do but I believe MJ is about up there with Human Torch as far as classic characters you don't mess with goes.

Same thing with Superman and Batman, albeit an extreme example. You wouldn't make them Black or Asian...they are too classic to be messed with like that.

Something you said is interesting, "Maybe someone else doesn't care as much as I do...", that's the issue right there. When these film makers decide to deviate in big ways from the source material it strikes me as them not caring about and respecting the franchise. Maybe they hit a home run once in a while but I'll always be on the side of the debate that says it is better to honor what the original creators laid out.

Maybe they choose her because she was great in auditions?

They may be messing with the source material but let's face it, we are not their audience, why should they stick to the original format?

Nobody complains when Shakespeare is interpreted into modern day settings.

Something you said is interesting, "Maybe someone else doesn't care as much as I do...", that's the issue right there. When these film makes decide to deviate in big ways from the source material it strikes me as them not caring about and respecting the franchise. Maybe they hit a home run once in a while but I'll always be on the side of the debate that says it is better to honor what the original creators laid out.
I'm of the same opinion. If they want to diversify the films then just add characters of the genders & races that they're looking for rather than altering the characters themselves. You'll never see them change a black comic character white or a female into male. After all turn around is fair play. I feel the whole thing seems one sided & doesn't really sit well with me. I've accepted it to some extent like the Nick Fury switch, but I think they're pushing the whole thing too far.

Nobody's comics are going to spontaneously combust when this film is released, she will still be 100% white in the comics for the people who really need that. The film is the film. Anyway, I think she's a good choice, I'd buy her as MJ:

oc9krrqhcsecdwlm9j2k.JPG

Edited by Revol

Nobody's comics are going to spontaneously combust when this film is released, she will still be 100% white in the comics for the people who really need that. The film is the film. Anyway, I think she's a good choice, I'd buy her as MJ:

oc9krrqhcsecdwlm9j2k.JPG

(thumbs u I don't need to see another MJ with pasty white skin.

oc9krrqhcsecdwlm9j2k.JPG

she's not the first thing I would think of when I think Mary Jane, but at least she's attractive, which is much much more than I can say for Kirsten Dunst (who I think is a fine actor). I think a more integral part of MJ is that she will be a MODEL as an adult, a very attractive woman paired with a Peter Parker nerd. The charm of that type of relationship is much more important to me than race. Couldn't get it with Dunst because she wasn't objectively hot.

Also, for those who have a problem with MJ casting, do you have the same problem with Aunt May suddenly turning Italian?

oc9krrqhcsecdwlm9j2k.JPG

she's not the first thing I would think of when I think Mary Jane, but at least she's attractive, which is much much more than I can say for Kirsten Dunst (who I think is a fine actor). I think a more integral part of MJ is that she will be a MODEL as an adult, a very attractive woman paired with a Peter Parker nerd. The charm of that type of relationship is much more important to me than race. Couldn't get it with Dunst because she wasn't objectively hot.

Also, for those who have a problem with MJ casting, do you have the same problem with Aunt May suddenly turning Italian?

Totally with you on Dunst, I never liked her as MJ. She was defintely more of a Gwen Stacey type imo. MJ needs to be vivacious, and I think Zendaya has that quality for sure.

oc9krrqhcsecdwlm9j2k.JPG

Totally with you on Dunst, I never liked her as MJ. She was defintely more of a Gwen Stacey type imo. MJ needs to be vivacious, and I think Zendaya has that quality for sure.

She is definitely cute.

Kirsten Dunst didn't bother me that much with the original trilogy. But I wouldn't have minded a different actress to match the character.