• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING starring Tom Holland (7/28/17)
3 3

1,648 posts in this topic

I have to amend my earlier comment -- she's not Latina, but rather half white, half black. My bad!

Dan

Who cares? She's NOT Mary Jane.

Change for a random reason is BS.

The reasons not random.

Multi-Billion Dollar companies don't make decisions on potential Billion dollar properties at RANDOM.

They feel it will expand their market long term, and reach an audience that will continue to grow with the movies.

I have to amend my earlier comment -- she's not Latina, but rather half white, half black. My bad!

Dan

If I was an 18-year-old superhero and my girlfriend was Zendaya, I would have to face the fact that I just hit the jackpot. hm

Chip --

I cared because it was a fact and not what had been previously stated, both by others and myself. Just wanted to get the record straight.

She may not ever be MJ to you...I will have to wait to see what the -script and the actress bring to the table to see if I like the MCU (not the Marvel Comics) version of her. She may be a great MJ for the MCU; just don't know yet.

D

Dan

If I was an 18-year-old superhero and my girlfriend was Zendaya, I would have to face the fact that I just hit the jackpot. hm
lol Tru dat.

Chip --

I cared because it was a fact and not what had been previously stated, both by others and myself. Just wanted to get the record straight.

She may not ever be MJ to you...I will have to wait to see what the -script and the actress bring to the table to see if I like the MCU (not the Marvel Comics) version of her. She may be a great MJ for the MCU; just don't know yet.

D

Regardless of how I feel about the casting choices, I still hope the movie kills it. I definitely don't want another Spidey reboot.

Dan

The reasons not random.

Multi-Billion Dollar companies don't make decisions on potential Billion dollar properties at RANDOM.

They feel it will expand their market long term, and reach an audience that will continue to grow with the movies.

Isn't that pandering?

Why not create a brand new character instead? MJ and/or Gwen are both played out anyways.

Pandering is exactly what it is. That's why we get remakes of Ben Hur instead of innovative and unique new movies.

They leave that to the independents who do not have the budget to make the best they can

Dan

The reasons not random.

Isn't that pandering?

lol ALL mainstream entertainment is pandering. It's created to separate you from your money. You think somebody created reality shows for ART? They're cheap and dimwits watch it, so they can sell advertising.

"All you read and

Wear or see and

Hear on TV

Is a product

Begging for your

Fata$$ dirty

Dollar"

-from 'Hooker with a ' by Tool

Isn't this still just a rumor about Zendaya?

Zendaya Rumored For Mary Jane In Spider-Man: Homecoming

h95u2vK.jpg

Disney and Sony's PC route for Spider-Man: Homecoming looks to continue as now it's being said Zendaya is playing long time Peter Parker girlfriend and wife in the comics, Mary Jane Watson.

The news about Zendaya is contrary to previous reports that she is playing a character named Michelle in Spider-Man: Homecoming. The rumor states a -script for Spider-Man: Homecoming points to Zendaya playing Mary Jane, but not much else is known.

Sony, Disney and Marvel Studios have yet to confirm the news.

Disney and Marvel have been taking a similar path in their comics by replacing characters with PC versions, which looks to have finally caught up with the company as sales haven't been that good and fans are getting pretty sick and tired of it all.

She is very cute.

And then there is this rumor.

Silk Rumored For Spider-Man: Homecoming Played By Tiffany Espensen

3ar8qwI.png

According to a casting call sheet, 17-year-old Tiffany Espensen is playing a character named Cindy in Spider-Man: Homecoming.

Silk in the Marvel Comics is named Cindy Moon.

The character was retconned into existence a couple of years ago by Dan Slott when it was said the same radioactive spider that gave Peter Parker his powers also bit a second person, Cindy Moon.

The villain Shocker is getting diversified too apparently?

I don't know, I mean it's not a big deal in itself, but when I see arbitrary decisions to change the mythology like this I can't help but think of Fantastic Four and wonder if there's an unending string of more bad decisions in this movie coming that we just haven't heard about yet.

My spidey sense is tingling, I got a bad feeling about this one.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/spider-man/leaked-spider-man-homecoming-call-sheet-confirms-bokeem-woodbine-as-a144667

Yup. Came up over a week ago. He's a solid actor. And from what he demonstrated on Fargo, he can deliver quite the interesting villain while making you not dislike his character.

Spider-Man Homecoming: Is Bokeem Woodbine Playing The Shocker?

TPWKtod.png

Bokeem Woodbine is no stranger to franchise entertainment; even if you leave aside his fan-favorite role in the Fargo TV series (based on a movie), he's appeared in movies like Riddick and the 2012 remake of Total Recall.

Now, it seems, he may be menacing Marvel and Sony's jointly-owned webslinger in Spider-Man: Homecoming.

While Michael Keaton's The Vulture is reportedly the big bad of the film, Spidey will apparently butt heads with The Shocker, an tech-powered character who can create seismic disruptions with a pair of gauntlets he created. Expect him to provide some firepower to the physically-unimposing, flying mastermind.

He was really good in Fargo Season 2.

The reasons not random.

Fine. Create a new character for that. Stop mucking about with established ones.

The reasons not random.

Fine. Create a new character for that. Stop mucking about with established ones.

Nobody WANTS to create a new character for Marvel because then Marvel OWNS it and makes all the money off of it.

So they'd rather update the characters for a new audience.

They're telling new stories in a modern setting and changing things to fit the times.

Like how they did in the 90's McFarlane era, when Mary Jane was suddenly a high paid Supermodel - aimed at a new demographic.

Or when Bendis reimagined everything with the 'Ultimate Spider-man' Universe - aimed at a new demographic.

Or even now - Peter Parker's a Captain of Industry - a Tony Stark type in the comics - aimed at a completely different reader of comics than the same old NON BUYING portion of the population that still agonizes over changes to how certain old school things should be.

They don't care. Their job is to make the most successful movie they can - not the BEST movie - the most SUCCESSFUL movie. And diversifying the cast makes it sellable to markets all over the world.

This.

Also, Dan Slott has endorsed Disney's casting moves for this film.

You know, Dan Slott, who has basically written Amazing Spider-Man since 2008 (more than 200 issues featuring Spider-Man so far). More than anyone else, he is the architect of today's Spider-Man.

Sure, he drummed up some controversy with a recent tweet defending MJ's casting:

"Spider-Man was created 2 yrs B4 segregated water fountains went away. Times change. It's ok if heroes change w/ them"

But he's not wrong.

And...this movie is being written for and pitched to Gen Z -- those folks under 25 years old who weren't even born during McFarlane's run, not 45 year-old old-school collectors who stopped reading Spider-Man back when Mark Bagley was on the book.

Nobody WANTS to create a new character for Marvel because then Marvel OWNS it and makes all the money off of it.

So they'd rather update the characters for a new audience.

This x1000.

The villain Shocker is getting diversified too apparently?

I don't know, I mean it's not a big deal in itself, but when I see arbitrary decisions to change the mythology like this I can't help but think of Fantastic Four and wonder if there's an unending string of more bad decisions in this movie coming that we just haven't heard about yet.

My spidey sense is tingling, I got a bad feeling about this one.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/spider-man/leaked-spider-man-homecoming-call-sheet-confirms-bokeem-woodbine-as-a144667

Yup. Came up over a week ago. He's a solid actor. And from what he demonstrated on Fargo, he can deliver quite the interesting villain while making you not dislike his character.

Spider-Man Homecoming: Is Bokeem Woodbine Playing The Shocker?

TPWKtod.png

Bokeem Woodbine is no stranger to franchise entertainment; even if you leave aside his fan-favorite role in the Fargo TV series (based on a movie), he's appeared in movies like Riddick and the 2012 remake of Total Recall.

Now, it seems, he may be menacing Marvel and Sony's jointly-owned webslinger in Spider-Man: Homecoming.

While Michael Keaton's The Vulture is reportedly the big bad of the film, Spidey will apparently butt heads with The Shocker, an tech-powered character who can create seismic disruptions with a pair of gauntlets he created. Expect him to provide some firepower to the physically-unimposing, flying mastermind.

He was really good in Fargo Season 2.

This one is okay...Shocker is not THAT big of a character, and have we ever seen him without his mask on? As far as I know, we have never seen his face, so it really does not matter who is under the mask. Other than some big eye holes (like the one in the above picture) there really is nothing saying if Shocker is white, black, asian, hispanic, green martian...whatever...