• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING starring Tom Holland (7/28/17)
3 3

1,648 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Those 3 Spider-Man movies were the best just like the first three two Christopher Reeve Superman movies were the best Superman movies.

I just had to hold back an instinctual urge to vomit when I heard someone suggest Superman 3 as one of the best Superman films, so i fixed that for you.  :sick:

superman_III_us1sh.jpg

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 5:58 PM, reddwarf666222 said:

I'd be surprised if the next Thor film did better than 225 million unless the film got outstanding reviews in this market place now.

People want to see an all out battle with the Hulk.  Or Thor and the Hulk smashing everything in sight.  It's going to do well.  

32 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I liked it. I thought Richard Pryor was tops,than again when I last saw it I was 7 or 8 years old,so maybe nostalgia with me?

Yeah. 

I first saw Superman 3 when I was 7 years old and thought it was _amazing_.

Try watching it again now. It's horrible.

Not Superman IV horrible, but nearly unwatchable, despite featuring Richard Pryor.

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I liked it. I thought Richard Pryor was tops,than again when I last saw it I was 7 or 8 years old,so maybe nostalgia with me?

because i like you, I'm buying the 7-8 years old out you have there.  and as bad as it was, it was goodfellas-quality weighed against supe 4, the quest for peace.

5 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

I just had to hold back an instinctual urge to vomit when I heard someone suggest Superman 3 as one of the best Superman films, so i fixed that for you.  :sick:

superman_III_us1sh.jpg

Hold up....the fight sequence between dirty, angry evil, Supes made ill by the synthetic kryptonite, and Clark Kent is still one of the coolest things ever done in a superhero movie.. That one scene alone makes the film a worthy watch, and upon recently watching it again, it holds up today.  It's intense, genuinely intense, a little scary, and Reeve, with the subtle nuances of his acting, playing against himself even, shows us why he will always be the definitive Superman.  

-J.

I remember being so excited for Superman IV, because the fan press and mags like Starlog were pushing the film as redemption for Superman III. I saw it opening night , and couldn't believe how bad it was.Even Reeve and Hackman couldn't save the film. A few days after seeing it, I watched my Superman III Laserdisc and thought to myself, "This ain't so bad after all".

Edited by Larryw7

On 8/28/2017 at 8:45 AM, Jaydogrules said:

I agree with all of your points and Spider-Man 2 is still my favourite one overall (though I actually like 3 more than 1, because, well, bad Venom is better than no Venom IMO). 

Ewww....

My statement about the Forbes guys was more based on the amount of DC coverage they seem to give as opposed to the literal content.  Even in cases where they have to admit they don't care for a DC movie, you have to admit you can almost taste their tears lolwhile you read the multiple articles they still manage to generate about movies they supposedly don't like.   Which is fine, everybody has their preferences.  

No, your statement was that 'those Forbes guys are total DC fanboys'. Where's the proof of this?

Bosco showed you that Scott Mendelson (and his reviews are archived on the site) hated both BvS and Suicide Squad, repeatedly telling readers he didn't really like the movie. You can even go back as far as 2013 and read his Man of Steel review, he flat out didn't like that movie either. In none of these reviews or lead ups to the reviews or post reviews, do I sense any sort of regret or disappointment (or tears) in his writing.

If this guy is a DC fanboy, he's the worst one ever.

On a side note, Homecoming will pass Suicide Squad's domestic gross this week (if it hasn't already).  

-J

I don't think so. At the rate its going, a 33% drop this week would bring it in at just over $4.1 million, leaving it still just behind....

...Suicide Squad. (snicker)

A Spider-man movie struggling to pass Suicide Squad! LOL! 

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 7:14 AM, Chuck Gower said:

Ewww....

No, your statement was that 'those Forbes guys are total DC fanboys'. Where's the proof of this?

Bosco showed you that Scott Mendelson (and his reviews are archived on the site) hated both BvS and Suicide Squad, repeatedly telling readers he didn't really like the movie. You can even go back as far as 2013 and read his Man of Steel review, he flat out didn't like that movie either. In none of these reviews or lead ups to the reviews or post reviews, do I sense any sort of regret or disappointment (or tears) in his writing.

If this guy is a DC fanboy, he's the worst one ever.

I don't think so. At the rate its going, a 33% drop this week would bring it in at just over $4.1 million, leaving it still just behind....

...Suicide Squad. (snicker)

A Spider-man movie struggling to pass Suicide Squad! LOL! 

i don't disagree with this sentiment at all.  but, in all fairness, did not a movie with BATMAN and SUPERMAN and WONDER WOMAN similarly struggle to top s.s.?  by a few million domestic bucks?

Edited by Straw-Man

8 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

i don't disagree with this sentiment at all.  but, in all fairness, did not a movie with BATMAN and SUPERMAN and WONDER WOMAN similarly struggle to top s.s.?  by a few million domestic bucks?

Absolutely. And people consider that movie to be a disappointment and a big underachiever. 

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

As of 8/27, Japan is currently sitting at $21M.

O1AHySp.png

Remaining Release Schedule:

- China: 8 Sept 2017

Outstanding result for what was a risky reboot.  Looks like the Marvel/Sony partnership has paid off like gangbusters.  

Are the early indicators that China will get it past $800MM?  I'm seeing some articles saying that the anticipation is high there and that that territory could add up to another $100MM, even with the early bootlegging. 

-J.

12 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Outstanding result for what was a risky reboot.  Looks like the Marvel/Sony partnership has paid off like gangbusters.  

Outstanding result for what they put into it, but... risky? The reaction to the character in Civil War all but assured them they had an audience for this.

And come on... it's Spider-man. There's no risk in selling underoos for the character, why would anyone think it's such a risk to sell a movie? It's not like the Garfield movies didn't generate any revenue. We're on our third Superman, it's still selling tickets.

The key would be, and here's how smart Marvel is: to hedge their budget, just so they could call it a huge success, feeling the character needed some positive press. Brilliant move. Now if Marvel can build on this... and most sequels usually fail to achieve the same box office success as the original... I'm sure they'd be VERY happy. But...

I still find it strange that the biggest superhero in the world can't out perform Guardians of the Galaxy or Deadpool, much less muster as much as a solo Batman movie. Then again, I CAN, as the Dark Knight Trilogy went back to the real roots of the character, something non-comic fans could relate to (leading to HUGE box office returns), and this movie has more of a Saturday morning cartoon feel to it.

Ah well... what's another $300 Million in box office sales, when you can sell Billions in toys all over the world?

12 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Are the early indicators that China will get it past $800MM?  I'm seeing some articles saying that the anticipation is high there and that that territory could add up to another $100MM, even with the early bootlegging. 

-J.

The Garfield Amazing Spider-man's are the only one's to have come out since the foreign market boom, so using them as a gauge....

The second Garfield Amazing Spider-man, released in MAY of 2014, got a same weekend release in China and ended up doing $94 Million. The FIRST Garfield Spider-man though, was a July release (like this new one), so it had to wait during the Chinese Import Movie Blackout period, and didn't get a release until August 27th - doing only $48 Million.

Should be interesting to see how this one compares... with even $50 Million, it should catch... Deadpool meh in Worldwide box office.

Then again, Deadpool was never RELEASED in China, so that should help Marvel's #1 property to be able to compete.

The trend I'm seeing in box office is that fans and probably the general public are excited for new material, not stuff they've seen before.  For all the excitement about an MCU Spider-Man, lots of people have seen SM movies.  Guardians was brand new, Deadpool, SS, WW, etc. were all new to the screen and most had solid (or very good) word of mouth because they were solid films (except SS, which I thought was a real low point as a superhero film).

I actually think Spidey has a functional limit on how successful it can be financially.  NEW material with strong word of mouth (think the first Avengers) is what gets you box office gold.  This is partially why I think Black Panther will outdo Thor by a slim margin, but also why Infinity War and Justice League will do well -- the latter is the first appearance of the team, and the former is the first all-out MCU collaboration that finishes off a lot of worthy storytelling.

D

4 hours ago, Drummy said:

The trend I'm seeing in box office is that fans and probably the general public are excited for new material, not stuff they've seen before.  For all the excitement about an MCU Spider-Man, lots of people have seen SM movies.  Guardians was brand new, Deadpool, SS, WW, etc. were all new to the screen and most had solid (or very good) word of mouth because they were solid films (except SS, which I thought was a real low point as a superhero film).

I actually think Spidey has a functional limit on how successful it can be financially.  NEW material with strong word of mouth (think the first Avengers) is what gets you box office gold.  This is partially why I think Black Panther will outdo Thor by a slim margin, but also why Infinity War and Justice League will do well -- the latter is the first appearance of the team, and the former is the first all-out MCU collaboration that finishes off a lot of worthy storytelling.

D

Have to agree on the 'new material - fresh faces' thinking. Suicide Squad - without a China showing - is a solid example of how a mediocre film becomes a huge hit because of this.

That could be true, even though Logan was the most successful (by almost $50 Million - over $250 Million Worldwide) of all the solo Wolverine movies... people weren't tired of it - they just gave us a Wolverine more true to the character - one who kicked azz.

IF Black Panther outgrosses Thor, which I personally wouldn't bet on, I guess that'd be a pretty good indication it's about 'something new'.