• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worst movie you've seen this year

105 posts in this topic

For me, the worst movie I've seen this year, and probably in the last five years, was The Hunger Games, the Mockingjay part 1.

I struggle to find the words to adequately describe just how bad it was.

It made John Wick(my previous worst movie I've seen this year) look like an academy award winner.

I watched and enjoyed the first two hunger games movies, and then this complete POS comes along.

Chances are I will not be watching part four based on how bad part three was.

People have probably talked about it already here, but I couldn't find any threads on it.

I just saw it last night for the first time, so I'm still brimming with disappointment

Have you seen any other big name stars/big budget movies in the last year that were worse than the mockingjay?

Sequels hardly ever deliver. I never expect them to be as good as the original.

You're right, but I was still hoping this would be at least half decent, I mean the first two were pretty good.

Plus since they are based on a book series, it's not like they had to make up a bunch of new stuff to capitalize on the success of a one shot movie where a sequel was never planned, They already had all the material before the first movie was even made. Not sure how this one took such a turn for the worse.

Mockingjay was SO bad. I didn't love the first movies in the series but at least they were slightly entertaining, but Mockingjay.... UGH!

I rented John Wick last week and turned it off after about 45 minutes. Horrible.

LOVED Kingsman! I had no expectations going in, and then it blew me away. Lots of fun.

In terms of just plain bad movies it's hard to top Transformers and Amazing Spider-man 2 in 2014.

Mockingjay Part 1 was far more disappointing, given how good the other two films have been.

It felt much like the author, or screenwriters, were going for their "Empire Strikes Back" chapter. The films have followed the same arc if you apply the Star Wars original trilogy plot line to the Hunger Games films.

It starts out, the hero is young, untested, unwilling to fight....it forced to because of family.

The hero finds their way, overcomes obstacles, grows into the role....is ready to take on the evil empire.

The evil empire flexes their muscles, destroying several things that mean much to the hero, physically harming the hero in the process and (in the case of Mockingjay Part 1) ending on as down a note as possible. In disarray, disillusioned, injured...and left doubting their next step.

Mockingjay Part 1 simply executed it in the most boring, ill-constructed way possible. It stank...holy sweet jeebus is stank from a mile away.

All Twilight movies.

Non-Twilight movies

Independence Day because it bored me.

Transformers 2 and 3 both a pile of carp.

GI JOE 1 junk

the 3 Star Wars movies made after the original trilogy.

You watched all of those THIS YEAR??

What are you, a masochist?

I think I've been lucky - I didn't get sucked into any flicks I'd consider "the worst of the year" but it seems like Hollywood is churning out some very self-important snoozefests.

I was really stoked to see Gravity and Interstellar - Gravity was boring, and I was most surprised by Interstellar (which had a whole issue of Wired dedicated to it) as it was touted as a very cerebral film, which it didn't really come across that way for me (and I'm no genius). It was good and I liked it, but I think the hype made me expect something I was going to be blown away by. Christopher Nolan didn't do anything but expand on things that were covered aplenty in STTNG.

I'm kind of over movies at the moment - TV shows are where it's at, as it allows much better and more thorough storytelling. I'll stick with that for awhile.

I actually liked John Wick... The plot was garbage, but the action was ok. I HATED TMNT reboot. I've tried to watch it twice just to prove to myself it wasn't that bad, but I was wrong. Very wrong.

I pretty much agree with Comix4fun (Chris). I remember touting Hunger Games long before the film was made at my bookstore, and was hesitant for any of the films as most don't do the books justice. In fact, only few in history have out performed their books: The Godfather is one of the few....perhaps Shawshank Redemption as well.

Part of the problem for me is that I get more upset if I'm let down from a writer I really enjoy.... I mean Paul Haggis is fantastic (Crash, etc) and yet what was "Third Person"??? Ugh.

The older I get, the more precious my time is so I try to weed out the terrible films. ASM 2 and Transformers were godawful though. I have no idea why this generation continues to give Michael Bay a career.

AND "Transcendence" MUST be terrible, I didn't even know Depp had this come out...reading the reviews, it's awful.