• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FEAR TWD TV SHOW --- Official Discussion Thread

285 posts in this topic

Tough crowd here.

Not sure what people were expecting, but AMC producers were clear from the start this is a companion series to TWD and not a spinoff (also in part due to the ongoing legal battles they have with show creator Frank Darabont), and that things were purposely going to be set at a different pace. As such, I went into it taking it at face value and thought it did a good job both with the opening and the closing sequences, then sprinkling in moments of dread throughout - the glimpse of a strange figure in the park, the bent over principal in his office in an increasingly-empty high school, the sequence on the highway, etc.

Character reactions to situations were largely spot-on, what with their inherent disbelief in what they were seeing and incomprehension about the attacks being captured on camera... yet a very rapid ramping-up of societal unease and mounting panic as the videos are shared at a clip you would expect in the real world. That the episode is largely shot from Nick's point of view was a neat device, too, in that as the viewer you know what he experienced off the top was real, yet for his family and even his own fragile sanity, there is incredible doubt about what is happening vs. what is simply a product of his drug addiction.

Overall a pretty big thumbs-up for me. Looking forward to the remaining five episodes of season 1 and the full-blown 13 episode order of season 2.

+1, I liked it.

The only thing that I wished they would have done is explained why Nick was wearing that goofy white shirt... :eek:

Tough crowd here.

Not sure what people were expecting, but AMC producers were clear from the start this is a companion series to TWD and not a spinoff (also in part due to the ongoing legal battles they have with show creator Frank Darabont), and that things were purposely going to be set at a different pace. As such, I went into it taking it at face value and thought it did a good job both with the opening and the closing sequences, then sprinkling in moments of dread throughout - the glimpse of a strange figure in the park, the bent over principal in his office in an increasingly-empty high school, the sequence on the highway, etc.

Character reactions to situations were largely spot-on, what with their inherent disbelief in what they were seeing and incomprehension about the attacks being captured on camera... yet a very rapid ramping-up of societal unease and mounting panic as the videos are shared at a clip you would expect in the real world. That the episode is largely shot from Nick's point of view was a neat device, too, in that as the viewer you know what he experienced off the top was real, yet for his family and even his own fragile sanity, there is incredible doubt about what is happening vs. what is simply a product of his drug addiction.

Overall a pretty big thumbs-up for me. Looking forward to the remaining five episodes of season 1 and the full-blown 13 episode order of season 2.

+1, I liked it.

The only thing that I wished they would have done is explained why Nick was wearing that goofy white shirt... :eek:

Hi Sid :hi:

Glad you are back on the boards :D

I think that was Gloria's coverall/shirt.

xxx ooo

Rupp

One question

Why were they being diverted off a clear highway onto the ramp where there was an obvious issue?

They weren't being diverted...That was an off ramp that was blocked by an accident. People were exiting on their own and were getting stuck.

I see, I was out of the room when that scene started.

Thank you.

Tough crowd here.

+1

Judging by some of the social media reactions people have NEVER seen The Walking Dead and can't fathom that it may be a story about how people treat each other and NOT about gore for the sake of gore. The idea that a zombie apocalypse is being used as a plot device to tell a more complex human story flies directly over their collective heads.

As I watched it last night I could sense that sometime soon we'd see a facebook, instagram, twitter, etc. post that looked something like this:

I was not expecting to see a single human vs zombie fight to tell the truth. However, I felt with a six episode season that too much focus was given to playing out the son's drug habit with the dealer looking to silence him. Keep in mind that by the time the series has started there is a comment that there have already been several reported instances of zombification (lack of a better word) reported around the nation. That was a great way to move the plot forward as well as the increase in sirens and emergency response units in the background. I still feel the pace was a bit too slow though. The ending could have come a half an hour sooner than it did.

What am I personally looking for? I want to see the collapse of urban life. I do not need to see a humans vs zombies show for the rest of this season. I was counting on seeing more along the lines of an Escape from New York type of thing. Humans doing horrible things to one another under suspicion as to who may or may not be infected. I want to see people fighting over food and gas and guns. Like I said, showing a zombie here and there is and should be secondary to the show as I expect humans to fight humans due to their moral collapse in the face of emergency.

Slightly too slow of a burn.

By the end of the season, I expect to see the equivalent of the trailer for that Owen Wilson movie that is on the air lately, the one where he has to try and get his family out of the country. Again though, like I said, you don't need to show a single zombie. The real storyline is their issue with the other humans.

As far as the acting, I could see how the son could get annoying down the line, however Cliff Curtis is a pretty solid actor. Most might recognize him from Training Day.

Seems people were watching 2 different shows by the reviews.

Very disappointing.

The -script was very poor, and other than the last 5 minutes was an utter snore-fest.

Thank god it's a mini-series.

Cannot get over how bad the -script and actors were.

Was there a rule in place where they could only utter 6 or 7 word sentences?

3/10 - for the last 5 minutes.....

Well the ratings were incredible. In fact Fear the Walking Dead became the No. 1 rated cable series launch of all time with 10.1 million viewers, including 6.3 million adults between the ages of 18-49. The previous record in the 18-49 demo was Better Call Saul with 4.4 million viewers. The show will most likely become a hit.

Season 1 will be 6 episodes which is the same as Season 1 of the Walking Dead. Fear has already been renewed for season 2 which will consist of 16 episodes.

This is great news guys. The Walkind Dead is hot and will remain hot for a long time. 10 million people watching the first episode is huge and who knows if this show takes off don't be surprised to see a third show.

It's ok, I mean, it's not as bad as the original series. Really, who wants to see a bunch of hillbilly zombies anyway. Every episode I pry to Kirkman for him to kill off the whole horrible cast. No one quality actor in the bunch. In fear the walking dead at least we have some good actors.

If this show doesn't get any better, at least by season 7, I don't think I can bare to watch more than 10 or 15 seasons of this .

Of course you’re entitled to your opinion but the Walking Dead is the number #1 show on TV. Over 15 million people watch it every week. They sure must be doing something right. I work in a building with about 1000 people. We have a walking dead club at work. There are ample business where I live that have walking dead get togethers to watch the show. The Walking Dead is a HUGE hit.

The thing that makes this show special is its appeal to pretty much every group. Young people like it. Old people like it. Men like it. Women like it. My 72 year old mother watches the show every Sunday with 5 other women her age. Can you imagine a bunch of grandmothers watching a zombie show every week?

Again you’re entitled to your opinion but your opinion is not shared by the American people. The Walking Dead is the number #1 show on TV and IMO will remain the number #1 show for many years.

Tough crowd here.

+1, I liked it.

xxx ooo

Rupp

It was a blouse.

Tough crowd here.

+1, I liked it.

xxx ooo

Rupp

It was a blouse.

I'm not versed in women's apparel lol

Tough crowd here.

+1, I liked it.

xxx ooo

Rupp

It was a blouse.

I was like damn bruh, nice blouse.

Tough crowd here.

+1, I liked it.

xxx ooo

Rupp

It was a blouse.

lol

Tough crowd here.

+1, I liked it.

xxx ooo

Rupp

I missed the Clooneythons....only reason I am back. :insane:

Tough crowd here.

+1, I liked it.

xxx ooo

Rupp

It was a blouse.

Had to meme it lol

be6a3a63-463f-4119-ba7f-d2b767080503_zpsgsc6h52x.jpg

I didn't mind the episode, but it seems like the actual outbreak is going to take far longer than it actually should, considering the size of Los Angeles and the population density. If you have a zombie start biting people on a highway in LA, the growth is going to be exponential and the city is going to be overrun by the weekend.

Seems people were watching 2 different shows by the reviews.

Very disappointing.

The -script was very poor, and other than the last 5 minutes was an utter snore-fest.

Thank god it's a mini-series.

Cannot get over how bad the -script and actors were.

Was there a rule in place where they could only utter 6 or 7 word sentences?

3/10 - for the last 5 minutes.....

Well the ratings were incredible. In fact Fear the Walking Dead became the No. 1 rated cable series launch of all time with 10.1 million viewers, including 6.3 million adults between the ages of 18-49. The previous record in the 18-49 demo was Better Call Saul with 4.4 million viewers. The show will most likely become a hit.

Season 1 will be 6 episodes which is the same as Season 1 of the Walking Dead. Fear has already been renewed for season 2 which will consist of 16 episodes.

This is great news guys. The Walkind Dead is hot and will remain hot for a long time. 10 million people watching the first episode is huge and who knows if this show takes off don't be surprised to see a third show.

Fair enough Ray - FTR, I watch Walking Dead religiously and started reading the comics probably from 2006 iirc.

I quite like the product. I even enjoyed the slow season 2!

But the dialogue just felt, I dunno, contrived, and written in a hurry. It certainly wasn't at the standard of the Original show.

I'll certainly watch next week - but I'd also ask the question - if this was not made by Kirkman, and instead some other company, would people still be so optimistic about an upturn in this show?

Certainly not a hater - but very disappointed at how it started. Happy to see it improve.

International media responses are interesting.

Forgive the link to this rag masquerading as a newspaper, but it combined a few sources....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3209075/Fear-Walking-Dead-kicks-zombie-pace-fails-impress-critics-plodding-episode.html

Lets see where we are in a weeks time!