• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RAK Random Acts of Kindness

818 posts in this topic

I don't normally advertise my acts of kindness but wanted to say I mailed out 10 slab pros for free to 5 boardies recently. It feels good to give and be nice.

I think this and other threads like it are very cool.

:)

How can someone be a donkey in this thread? There's no onus to give once you have taken. Its pure giving with no strings attached. I don't get it. Even if someone takes like 10 items that sat and no one else wanted them-how is that bad?

Give it time

How can someone be a donkey in this thread? There's no onus to give once you have taken. Its pure giving with no strings attached. I don't get it. Even if someone takes like 10 items that sat and no one else wanted them-how is that bad?

Kav, again...please read what I posted earlier.

How can someone be a donkey??

Easy.

:takeit::takeit::takeit::whee::takeit::banana::takeit::takeit:

Give it time

I dont get how you dont get it Kav. If anything this thread makes it even easier to be a donkey but hopefully it doesnt happen to often. No need to bring it up yet just let Shadows thread proceed and let everyone have fun.

Easy.

Isn't that better than no takers no takers no takers :whee: no takers no takers no takers?

Easy.

Isn't that better than no takers no takers no takers :whee: no takers no takers no takers?

Umm..... Yeah.... And what about if they take them immediately when offered sometimes three in a day?

Easy.

Is that better than no takers no takers no takers :whee: no takers no takers?

Sure.

If someone offers up junk repeatedly that no one wants only to give the appearance that they are generous, why would you want a donkey to encourage that behavior and bog down the thread.

And I'm really concerned about those donkeys who are quick on the draw and lurking in the shadows waiting for great offerings so they can snatch them up.

Or maybe we just agree to disagree and you don't think donkeys exist. (shrug)

I would leave a RAK claiming for a history of the thread. 2c

Going back through the thread those Spoiler Tags work beautifully. Too late for me to do that, but yeah. Make post-claim Spoiler Tags a RAK requirement and that should do it.

And kudos to Shadow Images for creating the thread and providing an outlet. (worship) Worked like a charm. :grin:

edit: I type slow, so... :blush:

Easy.

Sure.

If someone offers up junk repeatedly that no one wants only to give the appearance that they are generous, why would you want a donkey to encourage that behavior and bog down the thread.

And I'm really concerned about those donkeys who are quick on the draw and lurking in the shadows waiting for great offerings so they can snatch them up.

Well if someone is snatching things up that would be bad but if they are items that are sitting for a long time then I think its ok. Giving makes people feel good and having an item that no one takes is a bit of a downer is all I'm saying

I like this thread I hope it works out. I like PIF too though and I've seen it have it's share of problems. I think people are missing an important distinction about these threads however, and it's probably because they are named incorrectly.

In the real world the concept of paying it forward or a random act of kindness hinges on the fact that the giver gets to choose who their generosity is given to. However, in these threads the giver had no control over where their kindness was directed. This is why it inevitably lead to people feeling taken advantage of routinely in PIF, TGT, and probably this thread.

In the real world, if you wanted to pay it forward, would you drop an envelope of cash on the ground for whomever came along? Probably not. I have however paid for a woman's groceries as she looked teary eyed at the cashier when her credit card was declined, her kid was crying and her cart was full of items.

Giving isn't always just about selflessness. It feels good to give, when you know it's appreciated. On the other hand it feels pretty bad when you know your generosity is just being taken advantage of by a junk donkey looking to upgrade their drek or flip what they took.

I don't really understand the people that keep saying things like, "you're giving books away for free, someone can't be a junk donkey". Just because you want to give doesn't mean you want to be taken advantage of by an ungrateful profiteering a-hole who doesn't appreciate your generosity and isn't willing to put forth the same amount of generosity that you had just given.

I like this thread I hope it works out. I like PIF too though and I've seen it have it's share of problems. I think people are missing an important distinction about these threads however, and it's probably because they are named incorrectly.

In the real world the concept of paying it forward or a random act of kindness hinges on the fact that the giver gets to choose who their generosity is given to. However, in these threads the giver had no control over where their kindness was directed. This is why it inevitably lead to people feeling taken advantage of routinely in PIF, TGT, and probably this thread.

In the real world, if you wanted to pay it forward, would you drop an envelope of cash on the ground for whomever came along? Probably not. I have however paid for a woman's groceries as she looked teary eyed at the cashier when her credit card was declined, her kid was crying and her cart was full of items.

Giving isn't always just about selflessness. It feels good to give, when you know it's appreciated. On the other hand it feels pretty bad when you know your generosity is just being taken advantage of by a junk donkey looking to upgrade their drek or flip what they took.

I don't really understand the people that keep saying things like, "you're giving books away for free, someone can't be a junk donkey". Just because you want to give doesn't mean you want to be taken advantage of by an ungrateful profiteering a-hole who doesn't appreciate your generosity and isn't willing to put forth the same amount of generosity that you had just given.

I can understand this and that's why I don't give money to those people with cardboard signs that often leave in a Lexus and change into their real clothes at the end of the day.

Great post! :applause:

And it should be made clear here that anyone offering something should be allowed to say who they do or do not allow to accept their offering. I like that there can be conditions attached to a RAK or just giving the offeror the right of refusal.

Easy.

Sure.

Well if someone is snatching things up that would be bad but if they are items that are sitting for a long time then I think its ok. Giving makes people feel good and having an item that no one takes is a bit of a downer is all I'm saying

SPOILER ALERT

good items sitting for a long period of time were never and will never be an issue with these threads.

Right there. I am so choosy with whom or what I give because of this. The world has a ton of problems and sometimes just using your own time in the right place is way better than say cash or food.

Great post