• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RAK Random Acts of Kindness

818 posts in this topic

Ok... Here we go! I'm offering up a 1976 Milton Bradley "Hangman" board game (and yes, that's Vincent Price on the cover) & a print error copy of 1990 Space Funnies Vol.1 No.1 shipped anywhere in the US (thumbs u

QEFxKXl.jpg?1

Hah that's very cool....

I would like to offer some comic strips from 1966. Featuring the characters Maggie & Jiggs, this is Bringing Up Father and the art is by Hal "Camp" Campagna IIRC. I ask that you only take a strip if you have an attachment to the strip or the date. For instance, I bought these as a lot because it contained a strip published on the day I was born. I will cover s/h in the US and I do not mind giving away 3 or 4 of these right now. So here are the dates available, all from 1966: 11/14, 11/15, 11/18, 11/19, 11/21, 11/22, 12/1. 12/9, 12/10, 12/15 and 12/30. They are about 5x20 and here is a sampling of what they look like.

strips_zpsaxhemohc.jpg

If it's cool I would like the 4th strip in the pic. I really like it.

Ok... Here we go! I'm offering up a 1976 Milton Bradley "Hangman" board game (and yes, that's Vincent Price on the cover) & a print error copy of 1990 Space Funnies Vol.1 No.1 shipped anywhere in the US (thumbs u

QEFxKXl.jpg?1

Awesome, :takeit: ...thanks!

QEFxKXl.jpg?1

Awesome, :takeit: ...thanks!

Great! I'll ship it out this week (thumbs u

They actually made a Hangman game?

As someone who has the word sociopath in their avatar as a wry self description, and with Christian Bale (who aptfully popularized the term in American Psycho) usage of the Hangman game in its' original form in The Machinist, how are you not aware of this fact? tsk, tsk.... :wishluck:

But seriously, this is why....the link below.... I'd get a kick out of having that board game, The Machinst is a fav movie of mine and having Vincent Price on the box is a neat touch, as well....the Wolverton error edition is a cool oddity,to boot.

The Machinist movie trailer....with Hangman

The gift thread idea is great… I have thought a lot of time to implement it myself many times but never figured out how as I felt some rules would have been needed.

The problem I have with how it’s rolling now it’s that… at least to my brain it feels like a bit of a "rollercoaster" – too many things happening at once, chatting, offering, picking up, no list… the solution proposed by Shadow is cool, but regardless it could become impractical as the offers pile up and people continue to chat for many pages… :ohnoez:

Don’t get me wrong, this is very cool, but…

I like this thread I hope it works out. I like PIF too though and I've seen it have it's share of problems. I think people are missing an important distinction about these threads however, and it's probably because they are named incorrectly.

In the real world the concept of paying it forward or a random act of kindness hinges on the fact that the giver gets to choose who their generosity is given to. However, in these threads the giver had no control over where their kindness was directed. This is why it inevitably lead to people feeling taken advantage of routinely in PIF, TGT, and probably this thread.

In the real world, if you wanted to pay it forward, would you drop an envelope of cash on the ground for whomever came along? Probably not. I have however paid for a woman's groceries as she looked teary eyed at the cashier when her credit card was declined, her kid was crying and her cart was full of items.

Giving isn't always just about selflessness. It feels good to give, when you know it's appreciated. On the other hand it feels pretty bad when you know your generosity is just being taken advantage of by a junk donkey looking to upgrade their drek or flip what they took.

I don't really understand the people that keep saying things like, "you're giving books away for free, someone can't be a junk donkey". Just because you want to give doesn't mean you want to be taken advantage of by an ungrateful profiteering a-hole who doesn't appreciate your generosity and isn't willing to put forth the same amount of generosity that you had just given.

As usual, great post, and it nails the problem.

I would not arbitrarily give, that’s why "RAK" is probably not the best term. Some gifts can be "random", others not (as specified by the offerer, in line with the rule suggested by Shadow).

How about the Gift Horse thread? You should not look a gift horse in the mouth, so we’ll see what happens when and if a donkey attitude surfaces. Will the horse eat the donkey? :shy:

RAK Time:

For anyone but hopefully it will go to someone who needs it to complete a run and waited too long to get it. Its a lower grade GD/VG but still presents well in mylar:

Fantastic%20Four%2067B%20Front_zpsocloui59.jpg

RAK Time:

For anyone but hopefully it will go to someone who needs it to complete a run and waited too long to get it. Its a lower grade GD/VG but still presents well in mylar:

Fantastic%20Four%2067B%20Front_zpsocloui59.jpg

Please.... :takeit:

Not to be rude but let's let other people have a shot at this one since you just got one. If no one else wants it by tomorrow at noon that you are welcome to it.

I would like to offer some comic strips from 1966. Featuring the characters Maggie & Jiggs, this is Bringing Up Father and the art is by Hal "Camp" Campagna IIRC. I ask that you only take a strip if you have an attachment to the strip or the date. For instance, I bought these as a lot because it contained a strip published on the day I was born. I will cover s/h in the US and I do not mind giving away 3 or 4 of these right now. So here are the dates available, all from 1966: 11/14, 11/15, 11/18, 11/19, 11/21, 11/22, 12/1. 12/9, 12/10, 12/15 and 12/30. They are about 5x20 and here is a sampling of what they look like.

strips_zpsaxhemohc.jpg

If it's cool I would like the 4th strip in the pic. I really like it.

Okay, you got it (11/19/66). Please PM me your address. Kav got the one above it as well (11/18). Since 2 of the 4 in the picture are gone I will hold off of sending out any more now.

Enjoy!