• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HA MAY 28-30 SIGNATURE AUCTION

744 posts in this topic

comparing the tec 38 to the pre robin tec is also a valid point. why should The first apperance of Robin be worth less than tec 29,31,33,35.... It was never like this before the last 5-8 years. Tec 38 was always a coveted grail. Lost steam the last 10-15 years. Making up for lost time in a hurry.
couldnt have said it better myself.

comparing the tec 38 to the pre robin tec is also a valid point. why should The first apperance of Robin be worth less than tec 29,31,33,35.... It was never like this before the last 5-8 years. Tec 38 was always a coveted grail. Lost steam the last 10-15 years. Making up for lost time in a hurry.

Perhaps the loss of steam relates to the cover centric world post CGC.

I just got blown out on the exiting 39...thought 10k+ would be close, but 16500+...wow

Holy moly I was thinking 9k. Damn.

Approx $20k with buyer's premium.

I just got blown out on the exiting 39...thought 10k+ would be close, but 16500+...wow

Well it certainly is a beautiful book, and I do not know about others but for me it is one of the all time great Nedor/Schomburg covers.

Walclark was that you? hm

Not me. I don't swim in the deep end of the pool. In fact, the way prices are going, I may be relegated to the kiddie pool.

I think I've been relegated to sitting in a deck chair sipping lemonade. :cry:

lol you guys are hilarious! And I was referring to the Speed 19 I'm sure you know. Don't feel so bad I struck out and or sat out the books I wanted today for the same reasons. But great for HA and the cosignors. Maybe better luck next week (shrug)
Speaking of which, can't believe CC closes next week, and there isn't a thread yet for that auction.... :o

I just want to see what the Tec 38 restored 1.5 goes for. Last time I checked it was at $6700.

IMO, that price is already ridiculous

Really? I'd have to respectfully disagree my friend: Robin is one of the A list class super heroes( and had been long before the Marvel Movie revolution that has made household names of characters previously relegated to familiarity among predominately comic book readers and cartoon enthusists( I'm not referring to a Spider-Man or The Hulk). If you know Batman, and that's what 99.9% of he population ? lol then you've heard of Robin. I've always felt this was an undervalued book among 'serious' collectors, and feel given the characters brand recognition(side kick #1, leader of The Teen Titans) this book has waaay more potential to go.

Sold in January of 2015 for $4,900

18191602616_feff4f3903_c.jpg

Up for sale 5 months later for $6,700 and counting

18191601026_04836c069d_c.jpg

Look at quality difference between the books. The 1.5 is WAY over priced.

The 1.5 is Richie Muchin's old book that he had sitting on his website and eBay for at least a year listed at $5900 with no takers. I am shocked to see it at $6700 already. I can't believe how hit hit Tec 38 is right now.

Well it certainly is a beautiful book, and I do not know about others but for me it is one of the all time great Nedor/Schomburg covers.

I agree. Will be interesting to see what the 5.0 copy on CC goes for next week.....

wow, $6572 for that beautiful Detective #114. Hard book to find in grade, but that is a lot of money.

Agreed. an 8.0 sold earlier this year for $1500, so I was thinking $3k at best on the 8.5. I love this cover, but IMO this price is just nutty.

Tec 38 is a nice cover IMO. It's just that the character is a blowhard. Take that any way you want to

The character wasn't a blowhard in the 1940's when sidekicks dominated the comic universe and you can't deny what has come out of the Robin lineage over the decades.

I think it's fair to say that there were a lot of strong results in this auction and not many weak ones -- that I noticed, at any rate.

Hard to know what to make of it without knowing where the money flowing into the hobby is coming from. hm

It s good for all collectors and investors alike.

I think in the cgc world, comics are now considered an art form by many people and hence the price boosts.

I dunno. As a collector, I sure wish some of the prices of the books I bid on had ended lower ... so I could have won more of them!

I think in the cgc world, comics are now considered an art form by many people and hence the price boosts.

I dunno. As a collector, I sure wish some of the prices of the books I bid on had ended lower ... so I could have won more of them!

+1 As a collector the rocketing prices mean I buy fewer and fewer comics for higher and higher prices. Not sure how that could be considered good.

I don't know about you, but I keep all of my comics either in a long/short box or in the safe/vault. It's actually the reason in many cases (when my art bill comes due) that I consider selling off my bigger cost books, because all they do is lay in a safe and I never see them. An art form means people display them etc, much like my Kirby and Adams wall at my house. When you walk in you see all of my pieces expertly framed and hung on the wall with care and love. I think most people see one thing about comics: $. It's the new blue chip stock.

CGC has been around for 15 years, yet these insane price bumps have only really started when movie and TV speculation became rampant and "geek dome" became cool.

The major factor is the comic book market is worldwide... Price increases or bumps will continue as long as quality material is available in the marketplace.

I suspect you are right, but you certainly hear counterarguments that the rise of the wealthy foreign comic buyer is a myth. I would love to have the info that HA has on how buyers have changed over the years.