• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HA MAY 28-30 SIGNATURE AUCTION

744 posts in this topic

The major factor is the comic book market is worldwide... Price increases or bumps will continue as long as quality material is available in the marketplace.

Those bumps are entirely arbitrary. If you're buying/selling pedigreed books (especially MH/Church or Gaines File copies) there's clearly positive momentum. The same holds true of DC and Marvel/Timely characters due to familiarity of those publisher's lines and movie/television tie-in interest. Popular artists work in comics (Schomburg, pre-code EC legends, for instance) are also demonstrating increased interest.

Some results in the first day's auction were surprising. Generally, strong, but there were some disappointing results. My 2c

The major factor is the comic book market is worldwide... Price increases or bumps will continue as long as quality material is available in the marketplace.

I suspect you are right, but you certainly hear counterarguments that the rise of the wealthy foreign comic buyer is a myth. I would love to have the info that HA has on how buyers have changed over the years.

I can't speak for ha.com but I saw the breakdown of out of the country buyers for another site.... You would be amazed how far the internet buyers and lookers have come outside of the U.S..shocking is putting it lightly

I'm still in selling mode in hopes of becoming a foreign comic buyer but I couldn't resist this one. Price was right about where it should have been. I added the 9.8 Vancouver for what I thought was a steal for a 9.8, white page 70-year old book.

Wings%201%20FC_zps8x86s0na.jpg

Wings%2063%20FC_zpsziu3dhww.jpg

I suspect you are right, but you certainly hear counterarguments that the rise of the wealthy foreign comic buyer is a myth. I would love to have the info that HA has on how buyers have changed over the years.

Depends on whether you're talking about superhero comics.

Foreign interest in comic superhero films has exploded in recent years. If anyone thinks that has no effect on collector interest, then I'd wonder why'd think that anything whatsoever would have an effect, and expect them to run, screaming, from the hobby.

Foreign interest in comic superhero films has exploded in recent years. If anyone thinks that has no effect on collector interest, then I'd wonder why'd think that anything whatsoever would have an effect, and expect them to run, screaming, from the hobby.

Maybe, but it's not obvious that someone in China who enjoys the new Avengers film is going to log on to the HA auction and start bidding tens of thousands on early Caps.

It would be hard to believe that the worldwide popularity of Marvel films hasn't lured some people in other countries into bidding on GA books. Whether that is an important part of the explanation for the recent run up in prices is another question.

I know a few dealers and collectors that bid on high value books they already own. The purpose is to keep the value of their book up. If you drive prices up a little it makes yours more valuable. Worst case you win and you now control the market of that book even more. It's a pretty easy strategy if there are only 3-10 sales of the book a year.

I'm sure you guys know more about the effects of this kind of thing than I do.

Everyone seems to enjoy it when the value if books they own goes up. I generaly do, but it also makes upgrading suck.

Gorgeous books! :applause:

I'm still in selling mode in hopes of becoming a foreign comic buyer but I couldn't resist this one. Price was right about where it should have been. I added the 9.8 Vancouver for what I thought was a steal for a 9.8, white page 70-year old book.

Gorgeous books! :applause:

I am not, by nature, a high grade guy, but even I appreciate 9.8 Golden age!

Harley travels to shows in Dubai, Denmark, England, China, New Zealand and Australia.

I believe there are actually two shows now in China, a Wizard show and a non-Wizard show.

I also speak to another dealer who tells me he regularly sells books worldwide.

I'm not saying this is the source of all these high prices but when Wizard is putting on a show in China there has to be something there. lol

Harley travels to shows in Dubai, Denmark, England, China, New Zealand and Australia.

I believe there are actually two shows now in China, a Wizard show and a non-Wizard show.

I'm not saying this is the source of all these high prices but when Wizard is putting on a show in China there has to be something there. lol

Harley is everywhere. Maybe he has a double...or a triple. lol

Harley is everywhere. Maybe he has a double...or a triple. lol

Teleports. BANFF!!

here are the final totals ending for day 2

Results for today's session : $3,254,732

Total result for 2 days of 3 $5,418,382

Over 800 lots tomm....there are gonna be some "steals" tomm.

I was disappointed today with Ha.com. I received a email indicating that the Superman cover that I was bidding on had a reserve of 100,000 or 119500 with BP...of course given the condition issues( recreation of circle) it would never hit that...a shame really, its on buy it now for two weeks...you can make it 50 years for that matter, it is still not gonna sell

Maybe, but it's not obvious that someone in China who enjoys the new Avengers film is going to log on to the HA auction and start bidding tens of thousands on early Caps.

It would be hard to believe that the worldwide popularity of Marvel films hasn't lured some people in other countries into bidding on GA books. Whether that is an important part of the explanation for the recent run up in prices is another question.

I would agree that it shouldn't be presumed that everybody who might be interested in comics would necessarily be bidding on HA auctions (I wouldn't even assume they were aware of an auction). But the increased interest gives people more incentive to buy if they think they can resell to somebody who didn't know of the auction (or didn't want to take the time to bid) So the foreign buyers might be reflected in the number of dealers who bid on these auctions and the prices they are willing to pay.