• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lets see those Completed Short Runs!
2 2

396 posts in this topic

39 minutes ago, gozer said:

The "Tom Corbett Space Cadet" series had an interesting run.

Tom Corbett was on the radio (starting in Jan 1952) and TV (starting in Oct 1950).
Willy Ley was the technical advisor on the TV series.   Tom also appeared in comics and hardback books.

I've seen some of the TV series, and, hmmm, they're ... well, they're awful.  Right up there with Rocky Jones
and Captain Video.  But if you were 12-years old in the early 50s, these were great stuff.

There are 3 books in the Dell Four-color run, #378, #400, and #421.

Then Dell published an 8-book series, running from #4 (11/52 - 1/53) to #11.
That's the run I have.  Wonderful painted covers IMO.  All these are file copies, stamped with:

Return To:
    Editorial Department
    Western Printing & Litho Co
    Racine, Wisconsin

tom_corbett_small.thumb.jpg.01369720f6200b50caca303b61449f44.jpg

Nice.  I've always admired those books but only ever owned a couple of them.

And it's cool to have file copies that, for once, are actually file copies. :)

2 hours ago, gozer said:

The "Tom Corbett Space Cadet" series had an interesting run.

Tom Corbett was on the radio (starting in Jan 1952) and TV (starting in Oct 1950).
Willy Ley was the technical advisor on the TV series.   Tom also appeared in comics and hardback books.

I've seen some of the TV series, and, hmmm, they're ... well, they're awful.  Right up there with Rocky Jones
and Captain Video.  But if you were 12-years old in the early 50s, these were great stuff.

There are 3 books in the Dell Four-color run, #378, #400, and #421.

Then Dell published an 8-book series, running from #4 (11/52 - 1/53) to #11.
That's the run I have.  Wonderful painted covers IMO.  All these are file copies, stamped with:

Return To:
    Editorial Department
    Western Printing & Litho Co
    Racine, Wisconsin

tom_corbett_small.thumb.jpg.01369720f6200b50caca303b61449f44.jpg

Sweet! :headbang: Sci Fi perfection!

54 minutes ago, Hap Hazard said:

Finally finished my ACG run of Skeleton Hand

SAM_1528.JPG

Nice! Becoming a ACG fan the more and more i see. Doing a lot of research and looking over covers in GCD planning a 'modest' set of books spanning multiple genres.. 

1 hour ago, sagii said:

Nice! Becoming a ACG fan the more and more i see. Doing a lot of research and looking over covers in GCD planning a 'modest' set of books spanning multiple genres.. 

Funny you say that....they strike me as a bargain realm too...an ACG short run candidate might be Operation Peril. I can't confirm it, but I suspect one of the issues of that run might be the first dinosaurs vs Army men comics cover. (I think it's #8...I can picture it in my head...1950, I believe....should walk to my OSPG)

4 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

Funny you say that....they strike me as a bargain realm too...an ACG short run candidate might be Operation Peril. I can't confirm it, but I suspect one of the issues of that run might be the first dinosaurs vs Army men comics cover. (I think it's #8...I can picture it in my head...1950, I believe....should walk to my OSPG)

That is a sweet run to chase. Also, recently @Robot Man turned me onto the Funny Animal titles with exceptionaly drawn gag covers (another Boardie named the artist on a lot of the covers i liked for me as Dan Gordan).  Accomplished artist. Check out some of his covers on the Teen Humor ACG titles. Slap a 'Tessie' or 'Millie' on some of those covers and you'd be paying multiples of guide lol

Lots to get in on the ground floor of ....

5 minutes ago, sagii said:

That is a sweet run to chase. Also, recently @Robot Man turned me onto the Funny Animal titles with exceptionaly drawn gag covers (another Boardie named the artist on a lot of the covers i liked for me as Dan Gordan).  Accomplished artist. Check out some of his covers on the Teen Humor ACG titles. Slap a 'Tessie' or 'Millie' on some of those covers and you'd be paying multiples of guide lol

Lots to get in on the ground floor of ....

We had better hurry...I think the cat is already out of the bag on Dizzy Dames! ... But not much else; if their other teen titles are like that, they are just waiting to be discovered.

ACG's also seem to me to often be pretty beat up. You notice that "Archie Syndrome" with them too, or is it just me?

1 minute ago, Readcomix said:

We had better hurry...I think the cat is already out of the bag on Dizzy Dames! ... But not much else; if their other teen titles are like that, they are just waiting to be discovered.

ACG's also seem to me to often be pretty beat up. You notice that "Archie Syndrome" with them too, or is it just me?

There are a few potential GGA classics among the other two main Teen Books. 'Moronica' of Dizzy Dames made her debut in one of them. 'Archie Syndrome'? Yes, especially in the 'Horror' runs, unless you are @vaultkeeper :baiting:

They were well loved books, and/or maybe a quality of paper issue hm

5 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

Check out Killroys and Cookie. Many have Moronica (Dizzy Dames) stories. Many have great covers and are very reasonable.

11 hours ago, CrocHntr said:

I sure I won't be the only one drooling over these when they come to auction.  That #5 will cost a pretty penny.

10 hours ago, comicjack said:

A lung or maybe a kidney or maybe a marriage :smile:

I keep checking the census and still no changes still only 2 sittin there. I'm dying to know what the #5 grades out at!! I'm partial to it as many of you know ??

I would like to complete the run only 4 more to go ? 

I WILL get it done eventually just too many cool books out there  

6 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

I keep checking the census and still no changes still only 2 sittin there. I'm dying to know what the #5 grades out at!! I'm partial to it as many of you know ??

I would like to complete the run only 4 more to go ? 

I WILL get it done eventually just too many cool books out there  

Good luck Gino.  You've got the hardest one out of the way.  I've seen the #1 come up a few times and was just out-sniped once.  But I'm sure it will come around again.  There's just no comparison to that cool #5 cover though.

Edited by CrocHntr

41 minutes ago, CrocHntr said:

Good luck Gino.  You've got the hardest one out of the way.  I've seen the #1 come up a few times and was just out-sniped once.  But I'm sure it will come around again.  There's just no comparison to that cool #5 cover though.

Thanks brother!! Yeah it seems after the near impossible #5 the #3 seems the next toughest all the others are tough but come up more often than the other 2. They are all darn cool though but the cover to #5 is simply, "classic" at least in my humble opinion :)

and as you ALL know i've never shyed away from an opportunity to post a pic of it!! I think it's time for new shot pretty soon though this ones got quite a few miles on it...?

18745080772_47584779f0_b.jpg

Edited by gino2paulus2