• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your 10 Cent-ers!
16 16

6,637 posts in this topic

Wow - things just kinda ground to an abrupt halt here.

oh well, i have enough to keep it going for quite some time.

here are a few 10centers that i haven't even heard discussed on these boards (unless it's something i missed in the GA threads).

BLACKHAWK #155 from DEC 1960........gotta love Lady Blackhawk's flying togs....... cloud9.gif

1108027722667_blackhawk.jpg

from march of 1961 comes issue #158.

this is the worst of the bunch, BUT has personal historical significance. i've owned this book for 44 years and NEVER saw the rubber stamp (Orange Rocket Society) on the planes fuselage, until today. 893whatthe.gif

a small group of 8th graders from St. Venantius grammer school in orange NJ (the grounds of the nun's convent was virtually across So Center St from Sid's lucheonette) led by William Powell, formed the rocket society to share the enjoyment (william's mostly) of amateur rocket science. he used to go around town firing off small models powered by mini rocket engines he purchased through the mail. we even got our picture on the cover of the Orange Transcript back in 1961.

somehow either Bill or Ronald Gaynor got ahold of this book and left the clubs signature on the book cool.gif

1111778270751_blackhawk_001.jpg

here's one of my favorite 10 cent covers, ever!!!!!!

pencils by Gil Kane and "wash" by jack adler................october 1961.

1110546042951_GL_s_004.jpg

Burnt, One of my all time Fave wash covers!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif I also love Tales of the Unexpected # 43 "Space Ranger" & my personal Fave , Mystery in Space # 55 Adam Strange"Killer "book!!! headbang.gifyay.gifyay.gif

from march of 1961 comes issue #158.

this is the worst of the bunch, BUT has personal historical significance. i've owned this book for 44 years and NEVER saw the rubber stamp (Orange Rocket Society) on the planes fuselage, until today. 893whatthe.gif

a small group of 8th graders from St. Venantius grammer school in orange NJ (the grounds of the nun's convent was virtually across So Center St from Sid's lucheonette) led by William Powell, formed the rocket society to share the enjoyment (william's mostly) of amateur rocket science. he used to go around town firing off small models powered by mini rocket engines he purchased through the mail. we even got our picture on the cover of the Orange Transcript back in 1961.

somehow either Bill or Ronald Gaynor got ahold of this book and left the clubs signature on the book cool.gif

1111778270751_blackhawk_001.jpg

27_laughing.gif Harry, that's hilarious. They placed the stamp so well that I can see why you missed it all these years, it looks like it's part of the art.

This is the prototype to the Martian Manhunter in Det. 225. In it, a police officer from Mars comes to help catch a Martian crook.

741617-Batman78x.jpg

741617-Batman78x.jpg.4c764de9f369c56317eb37c631a363be.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

The drawing style is nothing like I've ever seen on a Batman cover. Any idea who the artist was?

Win Mortimer. He was the primary cover artist on the Bat & Supe titles for 1948 - 1955 and did quite a few on the other titles. Some of his stuff is quite average, but he does best when working with buildings in perspective in the background (see Action 210, Bat 84, Bat 92, Det 225). I quite like these as they go well with his thick-lined semi-cartoony style. The best time period for him is around 53-55, which is generally not pictured in Gerber and not that common. He left DC to do a syndicated strip sometime in 55 or 56. He came back to various jobs in the industry after 5 years of doing the strip. He died just a few years ago.

Harry, that is just great to find that "club" stamp on the cover after so many years.

Now it's time for some ten cent cheese, courtesy of Detective. There are so many trashy covers to choose from, but here are just two of them. These are from the Massachusetts pedigree, and are as white and bright as can be:

Detective 282

Det282.jpg

Detective 296

Det296.jpg

another beauty (even if it is 3years before the SA poke2.gif).........

how ironic that you should post that cover on the day that the Canadian mounties experienced their worst tragedy in 125 years as 4 Mounties were killed during a drug bust............ frown.gif

how ironic that you should post that cover on the day that the Canadian mounties experienced their worst tragedy in 125 years as 4 Mounties were killed during a drug bust............ frown.gif

Bummer about the Mounties. I had no idea of that tragedy.

With regards to the SA, this is not my first transgression in the thread. Should I create a different thread for the '"tweeners? Should I post it in GA or SA? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Burnt,

Did it get big press down south? It was in my neighbouring province but it got a tremendous amount of press locally as you would imagine. Don't know why but I figure this kind of unfortunate event is much more commonplace in the States?

Bummer about the Mounties. I had no idea of that tragedy.

With regards to the SA, this is not my first transgression in the thread. Should I create a different thread for the '"tweeners? Should I post it in GA or SA? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Don't worry, Adamstrange, long as it's a ten-center you can keep on doing what you're doing! thumbsup2.gifyay.gif

Burnt,

Did it get big press down south? It was in my neighbouring province but it got a tremendous amount of press locally as you would imagine. Don't know why but I figure this kind of unfortunate event is much more commonplace in the States?

it didn't get "BIG press, but it was on the late news Friday night. they had aerial footage of the farm where it all occurred and remarked about it being approx 125 years since this many mounties were killed in action..........i think it was one guy who put up the battle and then killed himself???

I've been thinking of starting a Ducks thread, but wasn't sure where to put it, as they run from GA to modern day. So in the general forum? GA? SA? thoughts, recommendations?