• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDCC 2016, July 20-24, San Diego, Ca.

319 posts in this topic

How much do the passes go for on the secondary market? Face value is $250

If you're looking to buy off Craig's List or eBay, 4-day passes are going to be around $700 and 4-day w/ Preview Night will probably go around $900. Prices keep going up every year. A few years ago, I could see myself paying twice face value, but truth be told, there's plenty of other cons just as enjoyable as SDCC and much cheaper, too. WonderCon, ECCC, SLCCC all offer the same thing without the accompanying angst.

Early bird hotel reservations just opened. If you don't mind being a little further from the convention center, mostly in the hotel circle, Mission Valley areas, this is a great time to reserve and avoid the chaos of the regular hotel reservation system.

Early bird hotel reservations just opened. If you don't mind being a little further from the convention center, mostly in the hotel circle, Mission Valley areas, this is a great time to reserve and avoid the chaos of the regular hotel reservation system.

Sometimes I'm incredibly incompetent regarding things like this. Do you happen to have a good website I could use?

Sometimes I'm incredibly incompetent regarding things like this. Do you happen to have a good website I could use?

It's all through SDCC - large link at the bottom of this page:

http://www.comic-con.org/cci/early-bird-hotel-sale

I've done this and wait till the last minute to buy badges on the ebay. I've gotten four day pass with preview night for about $400, so if you are patient you can get a good deal. People are desperate to sell there badges so they will not loose money, you can go that route. The negative is getting a hotel and getting off of work at the last minute.

FYI :

The W Hotel is not he W anymore. I can't remember what they changed it to. I'll walk by there later and look. But some might pass this up because they didn't know it changed.

How much do the passes go for on the secondary market? Face value is $250

If you're looking to buy off Craig's List or eBay, 4-day passes are going to be around $700 and 4-day w/ Preview Night will probably go around $900. Prices keep going up every year. A few years ago, I could see myself paying twice face value, but truth be told, there's plenty of other cons just as enjoyable as SDCC and much cheaper, too. WonderCon, ECCC, SLCCC all offer the same thing without the accompanying angst.

I've been to Wondercon several times and there is a similar feel, but it is only a tiny sliver of big brother SDCC. I live in Seattle and go to ECCC every year and in NO WAY does it even compare to SDCC. Yes, SDCC can be a crowded fiasco, but there is really nothing like it. I have not been to every con, but of these and Chicago, none can compare. That does not mean these other shows cannot be just as enjoyable, but they are not the same thing.

Here's the perfect reason to avoid second hand tickets for SDCC. If they're using it for Wondercon, it'll definitely be used in San Diego.

http://sdccblog.com/2016/03/details-about-wondercon-2016-rfid-badge-process-revealed/

Interesting. There are often mobs of people heading toward the door, and this kind of system would require people lining up to pass through. I wonder if this will cause lines just to get in. During peak times this could slow things down. No way are people going to remember to always "check out", especially if there is even a small line when leaving. I'm glad they are testing the system out first at Wondercon.

Here's the perfect reason to avoid second hand tickets for SDCC. If they're using it for Wondercon, it'll definitely be used in San Diego.

http://sdccblog.com/2016/03/details-about-wondercon-2016-rfid-badge-process-revealed/

Interesting. There are often mobs of people heading toward the door, and this kind of system would require people lining up to pass through. I wonder if this will cause lines just to get in. During peak times this could slow things down. No way are people going to remember to always "check out", especially if there is even a small line when leaving. I'm glad they are testing the system out first at Wondercon.

If it's done in the similar way like NYCC, you'll remember to check out because there's no other way to get out.

I didn't want to take my chances and lose again with the hotel lottery, so I took the Early Bird option and just booked the Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina. Looked like the best option from what is offered, right on the water and boardwalk. Looked nice enough with great reviews. Anyone stay there before?

I didn't want to take my chances and lose again with the hotel lottery, so I took the Early Bird option and just booked the Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina. Looked like the best option from what is offered, right on the water and boardwalk. Looked nice enough with great reviews. Anyone stay there before?

its a great option. i went there a couple of years ago. a little far for me tho. some nice restaurants near by from what i remember.

ive been spoiled. ive been at the omni for the last few years \:\)

its a great option. i went there a couple of years ago. a little far for me tho. some nice restaurants near by from what i remember.

I hear ya'! Unfortunately I have gone the other way. I was spoiled as well, staying at the Hyatt or the Hilton, every year for about ten years, until the last 7-8 years where I was completely shut out, even having to book a Motel 6 a couple times, and last year at Town & Country, which wasn't bad other than being far away. Instead of messing with it again I just figured I'd be done with it this year.

I did the same thing as you last year and this year. I went with the early bird. This hotel isn't bad at all.

there is a 24hr free shuttle

I'm all set. Badges and Accommodations all in order. Can't wait to see friends, buy some comics, and enjoy brat city and great food.
:whee: