• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heads up on stolen books

280 posts in this topic

Like you, I'm worried that the books will be destroyed in order to get rid of the evidence once the thieves realize they can't be moved.

What a major bummer.

+1

Unfortunately, a distinct possibility. And these pedigree copies, including dozens of Church copies, are irreplaceable. Hopefully, they will try to unload them at your local shop and the police can get there while the books are being "appraised."

This is another good example of why my collection is protected with a thermite security system.

Oh wait, that was Mel Gibson in Conspiracy Theory. I get confused sometimes.

Sorry tho dude. I'll keep an eye out on the rare chance they make their way out to Pittsburgh and end up at Steel City this weekend (if I go). Best of luck & hope the cops catch the thief. This seems to happen far too often around here. Can't go a week without hearing about someone else's collection getting ganked.

:wishluck: hope you get these back, a lot of those aren't replaceable. I'll keep an eye out. Good luck Jeff.

Do you have any clues/ideas at this point?

At this point, it is likely one of two guys. The police have the information on both of them. They were employees of a contractor I had doing work at my house. The comic book store nearest where they live wasn't open on Tuesday and none of the area stores open till 11:00 today. Once 11:00 rolls around, I will be making contacts.

And you all are correct. Stealing one-of-a-kind books in a collecting community that is so small makes them virtually impossible to move without I being noticed almost immediately. Given that the guy(s) stole Lost in Space, Avengers/Invaders and my Tom Mix westerns but left $40,000 in Mile High Blue Beetles is likely evidence that they really don't know what they have, what its worth, and how traceable they are.

Again, thanks for any and all help. I continue to be concerned they will realize what they have and throw them in a dumpster so they won't get caught.

Shades of Davis Crippen! :o

Very sorry to hear about of this. Best of luck getting the books back undamaged. :wishluck:

Do you have any clues/ideas at this point?

At this point, it is likely one of two guys. The police have the information on both of them. They were employees of a contractor I had doing work at my house. The comic book store nearest where they live wasn't open on Tuesday and none of the area stores open till 11:00 today. Once 11:00 rolls around, I will be making contacts.

And you all are correct. Stealing one-of-a-kind books in a collecting community that is so small makes them virtually impossible to move without I being noticed almost immediately. Given that the guy(s) stole Lost in Space, Avengers/Invaders and my Tom Mix westerns but left $40,000 in Mile High Blue Beetles is likely evidence that they really don't know what they have, what its worth, and how traceable they are.

Again, thanks for any and all help. I continue to be concerned they will realize what they have and throw them in a dumpster so they won't get caught.

Shades of Davis Crippen! :o

Very sorry to hear about of this. Best of luck getting the books back undamaged. :wishluck:

Whenever I've had contractors or boiler service or whatever coming into my home, I always try to keep the dog out back instead of letting the workers meet him. They say a lot of theft is from people you've let into your home at some point, so why "deactivate" my "burglar alarm" by letting him get to know them?

Sucks that you got ripped off like this!

Did you have anything else in the storage that was stolen or just these comics?

A chain saw, a Kobalt ratchet set, a 1.5-inch crescent wrench, a new deadbolt I had just bought. Not sure if there might be anything else. I'm still going through my inventory of comics to see what is missing.

Sorry for the loss.

Is guess it goes without saying you've contacted those guys on your area's craigslist looking to buy comics, ones you don't already know.

Did that this morning right after I called all the comic book stores in the region.

Such a major distraction and bummer to have to deal with thieves. I wish you the best in recovery of these comic gems. :sumo:

I know bordies in all 50 states will be on the lookout and you will get your comics back.

Now I'll just sit back and wait for the first clue to drop and these yardbirds will be in jail.

Small near term consolation. I love Blue Beetle GGA issues and happy to hear they are safe

Sorry to hear about this Cheetah. I'll pass the word to the shops up here in Columbus. I know we've got the two shows in September in Cincy. They may try to pass them there if they've not moved them by then.

I've also asked my LCS today to be on the lookout for the stolen books by the list you've posted, Cheetah. Hope you get them back safe. :wishluck: