• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

November 2015 Heritage Signature Auction Thread
1 1

630 posts in this topic

I can't get over the fact that instead of sticking to the wall Spidey's fingers are digging into brick... of course the fingertips of his costume remain intact.

1. He's digging into brick because the Goblin's gizmo rendered him powerless to stick to walls in the storyline. 2. Regarding the fingertips of his costume, the reader can't see what's happening with the fingertip (palm/hand-down) side of the costume. 3. Nitpick much?? :baiting:

I can't get over the fact that instead of sticking to the wall Spidey's fingers are digging into brick... of course the fingertips of his costume remain intact.

1. He's digging into brick because the Goblin's gizmo rendered him powerless to stick to walls in the storyline. 2. Regarding the fingertips of his costume, the reader can't see what's happening with the fingertip (palm/hand-down) side of the costume. 3. Nitpick much?? :baiting:

Gene, did I miss the post where you said you won this?

Because I've never seen anyone so vociferously defend a piece without having a financial interest in it. Nothing wrong with that, but wow, quite the hard on you have for this art lol:)

Because I've never seen anyone so vociferously defend a piece without having a financial interest in it. Nothing wrong with that, but wow, quite the hard on you have for this art lol:)

Gene you could have read the Starlin Warlock saga with all the time in this thread!

Maybe you weren't reading that closely, but ASM #98 was rated the #6 Spidey cover of all time in one of the polls that was meant to discredit it. :insane:

Whoops! My bad! And I guess you were so disgusted by that first link that you didn't bother looking at the other two! lol

But that last link wasn't actually a poll...it was one guy's opinion. The first link was the poll, where #98 didn't rank in the top 50 all-time ASM covers by fan vote.

Here's another poll for the top 102 comic covers of all-time:

http://www.ranker.com/list/best-comic-book-covers/ranker-comics

GL #76 ranks, but not ASM #98 (although someone please look it over to make sure, because I evidently have a tendency to overlook ASM #98 :insane:).

Re: JOHN WICK...I didn't see the discussion, but the excellent action choreography made up for the laughably bad story for me. Had a fun time at the movies with friends. Not everything needs to be THE GODFATHER.

New Lighthearted Sub-Topic... how cute or cool was this page:

George Tuska and Frank McLaughlin Justice League of America #153 Page 12 Julius Schwartz Original Art (DC, 1978). Julius "Julie" Schwartz, the man who shaped the Silver Age of DC comics, is featured on this page with some of the characters he helped bring to life! The JLA have accidentally traveled to Earth-Prime. In a bit of meta-storytelling, page features an image of the actual cover of Justice League of America #151, as a citizen shows them that they are just comic book characters on this world.

http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/panel-pages/george-tuska-and-frank-mclaughlin-justice-league-of-america-153-page-12-julius-schwartz-original-art-dc-1978-1-/a/121547-14211.s?ic2=mybidspage-lotlinks-12202013

I liked it but couldn't love the price tag of over $1,300.

...and on a related topic question:

What are people's opinions generally about the Heritage Signature FLOOR auctions VS the Heritage Signature INTERNET ONLY auctions VS The weekly Heritage Internet Comics Sunday as far as sellers consigning or buyers bidding?

For some reason, as a buyer, I usually focus on the Signature Floor auctions, then get so fatigued, I sometimes am burned out to muster up the enthusiasm for the Signature Internet Only auctions (coupled by the fact that those consignments are a tier below the floor auction offerings, and then sometime get too busy to even remember to check in on the weekly Sunday auctions.

As a seller, I did submit consignments for both the Signature Floor as well as the Signature Internet. I don't doubt the power of a featured live auctioneer environment with multiple methods for buyers to bid, be it through the phone, internet or in person without really any chance of getting sniped (good for passionate buyers and great optimized opportunity to realize the highest price for sellers). The Signature Internet, I sort of have mixed opinions on. To me, it's sort of like if you buy tickets to a big concert, and you only care about the headliner, you may skip the opening act to focus on the main event. In that way, as a seller, I'd be a bit concerned by a similar attitude towards the material that goes into the Signature Internet and how buyers may participate or perceive consignments. I do like the fact that, again, it's difficult to get sniped through Heritage's online internet bidding system that I believe refreshes the clock everytime a bid is placed, allowing time for other bidders to consider buying a piece, so there's no sniping. And for the Sunday weekly Internet auctions, I've seen nice material there but also a lot of sub-par consignments and hear a lot of collectors don't even check to shop the lots weekly, so speculate it could be a forum for buyers to find good opportunities, but maybe not so great for sellers for the most part, especially if offering consigned material valued in that sub-$300 estimated range.

I only nitpick when it's beyond the realm of even comic book fantasy :P

Yeah I'm not going near that one. :insane:

Back on topic, what did you think of the Groo result? Nice half-splash but from an early Image. I was surprised at nearly $2k.

Totally missed the result, until a friend brought it to my attention. Really high, IMO. There are a lot of Image pages out there. Makes the complete issues seem like a bargain in comparison.

Yeah I'm not going near that one. :insane:

Back on topic, what did you think of the Groo result? Nice half-splash but from an early Image. I was surprised at nearly $2k.

Totally missed the result, until a friend brought it to my attention. Really high, IMO. There are a lot of Image pages out there. Makes the complete issues seem like a bargain in comparison.

But how many have passed through HA? Too lazy to check but not many or none, right? This may simply be a case of two people that mostly shop HA getting into nabbing an Aragones Groo without knowing the wider market for same. Agree on complete issue, though not all can swing a bat that big!

I didn't win the cover, so, no, I'm not "talking my book" here. But, Spidey #96-98 is my 2nd favorite Spidey story arc of all-time after ASM #121-122. Go re-read those issues - the story is superb all the way through (the interior art is admittedly a bit hit or miss, but at least the the #97 and especially the #98 covers are so good). And no one should have to justify why one of the best Spidey vs. Goblin covers ever is awesome as much as I have - it's as obvious as the truths that "We the People" hold to be self-evident... :whistle:

I just re-read ASM #96-98 this morning and they still hold up even for an adult audience, unlike the lighter Silver Age fare or McSpidey issues which were both written at particular times for a particular (young) audience. They really represent a high point for Stan Lee and Marvel, challenging the CCA and going ahead with the bold and challenging storyline, taking on matters of race, class and drugs/crime. And, it's Spidey, so people might actually want to read these relevant issues as opposed to...Green Lantern, no matter how good those issues are (and, yes, I've read them - I've got my GL/GA TPBs in front of me now...zero desire to re-read them though I do like flipping through them and looking at the pretty pictures). hm

The following (from the beginning of the story arc in #96) works just as well in 2015 as it did in 1971. Maybe even better - it's outstanding storytelling.

photo 20151123_114628.jpg

GL #76 ranks, but not ASM #98 (although someone please look it over to make sure, because I evidently have a tendency to overlook ASM #98 :insane:).

Almost every book that I've seen so far is a key. Hard to separate out "favorite comic book" from "favorite comic cover" in a poll like this. There are so many important Spidey keys and great Spidey covers that it's going to be tough for semi-keys like Spidey #98 - or even a Spidey #23 (my favorite Ditko Spidey cover) - to make a list like this. And then there are just a ton of absurd picks that make the whole poll seem stupid, because, really, how on earth are Daredevil #200, Wolverine #17 or some random modern X-Men covers really going to make the list - it just calls the whole poll methodology into question. I mean, how did they even get to 102 different poll options, let alone the hundreds/thousands of other covers that were eligible? Or were they? It just doesn't pass any kind of smell test - just sounds like either short-cuts had to have been taken or much of it was outright fabricated. I'd trust Complex Magazine's curated opinion of favorite Spidey covers (#6! #6! #6!) before I trusted a clearly flawed Internet survey like this. :insane:

GL #76 is going to be an obvious pick, because there is only one GL artist and maybe 2 of his covers that anyone really cares about. There's really nothing more to read into meaningless data like this. 2c:sumo:

George Tuska and Frank McLaughlin Justice League of America #153 Page 12 Julius Schwartz Original Art (DC, 1978). Julius "Julie" Schwartz, the man who shaped the Silver Age of DC comics, is featured on this page with some of the characters he helped bring to life! The JLA have accidentally traveled to Earth-Prime. In a bit of meta-storytelling, page features an image of the actual cover of Justice League of America #151, as a citizen shows them that they are just comic book characters on this world.

http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/panel-pages/george-tuska-and-frank-mclaughlin-justice-league-of-america-153-page-12-julius-schwartz-original-art-dc-1978-1-/a/121547-14211.s?ic2=mybidspage-lotlinks-12202013

I really liked that page as well. Bid on it, but was blasted out of the water.

Almost every book that I've seen so far is a key. Hard to separate out "favorite comic book" from "favorite comic cover" in a poll like this. There are so many important Spidey keys and great Spidey covers that it's going to be tough for semi-keys like Spidey #98 - or even a Spidey #23 (my favorite Ditko Spidey cover) - to make a list like this. And then there are just a ton of absurd picks that make the whole poll seem stupid, because, really, how on earth are Daredevil #200, Wolverine #17 or some random modern X-Men covers really going to make the list - it just calls the whole poll methodology into question. I mean, how did they even get to 102 different poll options, let alone the hundreds/thousands of other covers that were eligible? Or were they? It just doesn't pass any kind of smell test - just sounds like either short-cuts had to have been taken or much of it was outright fabricated. I'd trust Complex Magazine's curated opinion of favorite Spidey covers (#6! #6! #6!) before I trusted a clearly flawed Internet survey like this. :insane:

GL #76 is going to be an obvious pick, because there is only one GL artist and maybe 2 of his covers that anyone really cares about. There's really nothing more to read into meaningless data like this. 2c:sumo:

Gene, does the phrase "thou dost protest too much" mean anything to you? :blahblah:

Love your passion. Carry on. :makepoint:

Scott

Love your passion. Carry on. :makepoint:

Passion is what it's all about in the end! (thumbs u

Sounds dirty the way you say it....

I really liked that page as well. Bid on it, but was blasted out of the water.

I think I got doubled up on, in that my valuation (what it's worth to me) was around $600.

one page that was brought to my attention by a friend was the kirby captain america 100 that sold for 17,925, no cap and only one so so image of black panther in battle.

http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/panel-pages/jack-kirby-and-syd-shores-captain-america-100-page-16-black-panther-original-art-marvel-1968-/a/7152-92130.s?type=bidnotice-tracked-endofauction

too me it seems more than twice what i would have expected....any thoughts?

one page that was brought to my attention by a friend was the kirby captain america 100 that sold for 17,925, no cap and only one so so image of black panther in battle.

http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/panel-pages/jack-kirby-and-syd-shores-captain-america-100-page-16-black-panther-original-art-marvel-1968-/a/7152-92130.s?type=bidnotice-tracked-endofauction

too me it seems more than twice what i would have expected....any thoughts?

Compared to what the other Kirby pages were going for, the Cap #100 page did seem a little pricey. But it is a good fight page from an important issue that features the Black Panther (My comic buddies tell me that his early appearances are hot). It's a pretty good piece of comic art. I was surprised, but not shocked by the final number.

Conversely, I was surprised that the page from the FF annual #3 didn't break 20k. It's a half splash from a notable issue that features a fight scene with all of the X-Men. I know the Colletta inks aren't a plus, but I thought it would go for at least 25. My congratulations to the buyer, who I thought got a great deal! (thumbs u

Edited by DJRome