• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Thread Nobody Demanded: Buzzetta: NYCC 2015: Warning (EDIT): Some Wall Books

254 posts in this topic

Now on to the fun stuff...

The first thing I picked up was from Alex Saviuk. I was paging through his work with Jay and then I saw it. This is a Spider-man newspaper daily that was published on my birthday! I picked it up in honor of the birthday threads.

A7E6C4B1-DD1B-42FF-A7CF-78CF73F01F6A.jpg

Now on to the fun stuff...

The first thing I picked up was from Alex Saviuk. I was paging through his work with Jay and then I saw it. This is a Spider-man newspaper daily that was published on my birthday! I picked it up in honor of the birthday threads.

A7E6C4B1-DD1B-42FF-A7CF-78CF73F01F6A.jpg

You were born in 2008? Wow. You're precocious for a 7 year old!

:D

So I am sitting at lunch with a boardie and I say, that this next piece has been on my mind. I really want it and hope that it is there. If it is, then I am grabbing it.

It is another Romita Jr Captain America piece but it features a young Steve Rogers leaving his tenement to walk the streets of NYC during the Great Depression. There is a LOT of detail in this piece and I think that Romita Jr and Hanna outdid themselves. I REALLY liked this page.

63853757-0615-4944-B4F6-57752E7414F7.jpg

And here we go... believe it or not... this was the sketch commission I was most excited about. I asked Larry Hama for a GI Joe 21 Cover Snake Eyes sketch.

As he handed it to me he stated that he actually liked it and wanted to take a picture of it which he did... then I asked if he would take a picture of us with the sketch. This is in the Black Hole part of the collection.

A0D2CF3A-7995-4650-9E9D-194C44A0641E.jpg

As far as comic books, I upgraded my ASM 68 from a 8.5 OW to White to a 9.4 White. I picked this up from Harley Yee. He was going through his slabs and reorganizing when I went through the Spider-mans. I gave him my best Ted Knight Caddyshack voice and asked him if he could do better in cash... hm hm hm? Cash you know hm hm hm?

He named a price that I could not refuse and I took it home.

4EE4851E-7140-4662-824B-B9557EBA0953.jpg

I also don't know if this counts as part of comic con but it arrived during the con along with some other stuff. I picked it up from Lego for $60 and they were offering it for $80 at the show. People seemed to grab it and I did not see any left on Sunday.

I would recommend going to Lego and picking one up.

0839365D-F0C0-44EB-AB6E-A08FB591D336.jpg

NYCC 2015 Wrap Up

Show Floor

As far as the show went I was kind of disappointed. The tables are still so expensive that many vendors who I would have liked to have seen return for the 10th Anniversary were not there. Where is Hasbro? Where was Mattel outside of Mega Blocks? Where was the real representation of Lego? Who else remembers the display cases of Hasbro Star Wars, Marvel Universe or Transformers? The last time we saw Hasbro at the show was in 2011. Hasbro has stated that they will budget their boy's toys lines to SDCC, Toy Fair and then the individual brand cons like Bot Con for Transformers and Joe Con for GI Joe while Star Wars will eventually showcase at the Disney things. As was remarked there actually seemed like there were fewer vendors.

The Crowd

For the most part, everyone used deodorant. No really. It wasn't bad this year. For the most part people were polite. I really did not see anything this year except for the rush in when the herd ran for panel bracelets. The ONLY thing that annoyed me was that there was this poor dealer in the corner of the con floor. I went to the corner to check out an ASM 1 5.0. I had to step over all the cosplayers who parked themselves in front of his table making it so no customers could approach unless they stepped over the cosplayers. That was simply rude. I had no problem stepping over them after they would not move. Sorry to disrupt their card games and their ironing out their cat ears. I have no problem with cosplay at cons as you can see from my photos. I have a big problem with their lack of social grace (key phrase this weekend) and shame on security for not helping out the dealer.

Prices

People have stated that prices were high in most every dealer's booth. To some degree, I agree. Here is the issue though, the dealers were GETTING their asking prices. Sure, some books were priced well above GPA but can I fault the dealers when they are getting the prices? It's hard to fault them. As of now, it looks like I will pick up my ASM 1 upgrade in the coming auctions between now and February. The only thing I am not going to disclose is the condition I am seeking.

Again, I was glad to chat up some boardies I enjoy seeing. Always a pleasure to share some beers and rest feet with Jaybuck.

Until next year... and I hope you enjoyed. Comment on whatever and be as snarky as you want.

Had more fun reading your posts than at the actual show! Agreed, prices were out of control.

Took my nephew this time around. He produced the moment of the con for me. He's 10 (maybe 11, not super sure) and he asks a dealer how much Amazing Fantasy 15 is going for in his case. The dealer responds to 10 year old (maybe 11) "the book is on consignment auction". To which I respond "how about say a big number so the kids eyes pop?" meh, guy was in the zone lol.

Thanks for taking the time Buzzetta.

Great report :applause: The Eastwood cosplay was awesome, also agree with the others on the nice looking Harley :cloud9: my daughter want's to know if you saw any new Harry Potter lego sets. Thanks again for the report Andrew :applause: