• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,446 posts in this topic

On 8/2/2021 at 3:15 PM, BB-Gun said:

Lemonade King is pretty cool.  It has a typical Scrooge story and a splash page that credits Carl Barks.

51354223049_ba4863a480_b.jpg

2554059906_f188b8cbec.jpg

That must be the only Disney publication that ever credited Barks during his working years! That's really fascinating; does that also exist in the Golden Book format or just this format? I'm not familiar with the Tip Top Tales format.

On 8/3/2021 at 1:05 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

That must be the only Disney publication that ever credited Barks during his working years! That's really fascinating; does that also exist in the Golden Book format or just this format? I'm not familiar with the Tip Top Tales format.

I think Top Top Tales was a competitor of Little Golden Books.  They are the same size and I often found them in the same stack.  I had to look at a lot of stacks of Golden Books before I purchased the Scrooge book.

On 8/3/2021 at 6:52 PM, BB-Gun said:

I think Top Top Tales was a competitor of Little Golden Books.  They are the same size and I often found them in the same stack.  I had to look at a lot of stacks of Golden Books before I purchased the Scrooge book.

Interesting though in that Western was somewhat competing with themselves as they published the Little Golden Books! Maybe they wanted the full share of profit and not just the printing costs.

On 8/3/2021 at 7:24 AM, Badger said:

Does anyone know if these paintings still exist? I have never seen or heard of them ( or this book for that matter lol ).

I seem to recall seeing one sell at auction once, but can't recall when or where.

Edit: Here you go - Carl Barks and Norman McGary Donald Duck and the Christmas Carol | Lot #92006 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

Edited by sfcityduck

On 8/4/2021 at 3:57 PM, paqart said:

Canadian version of Vacation Parade #1, to go along with my US version. This comic, btw, is about half the page count of the US version. The only part I care about is the missing Junior Woodchucks story. Grandma Duck is at the end and Forest Fire at the beginning.

Vacation Parade - Canadian.jpg

Watch out!  It is an animated cover.

2952327970_1297b99d8a_o.gif

On 7/29/2021 at 12:29 AM, iggy said:

BB-Gun is that your copy? I need interior pics- the 1st and last couple pages ( including inside front and back covers). I think this giveaway was produced a bit differently to accommodate it’s cover. There is a single leaf glued to the last page at the spine, it’s not a wrap, here’s page 1 and a look at the spine...

09BA5DEF-628E-46F3-AB43-F36745A11B18.jpeg

3C4E0F87-C136-4464-9CDF-76E14317DAEF.jpeg

It took me a while to find my Uncle Scrooge and Donald 1 plus my keyboard died.  Today I found Scrooge hiding in a box of Dell Comics (mostly Lone Rangers).

Here is the inside of cover.

51372641465_1d10985387_b.jpg

On 8/11/2021 at 12:24 PM, iggy said:

Thanks! That’s what I suspected, that they began the story with page 2 since it doesn’t really affect the story much. I appreciate your help!

If the comic was returned then the front cover was torn off and the rest was sent to the papermill.  I can imagine a stack of 50 sitting on the conveyor belts back in the sixties.  I carried 200 comics from the police station on the the day I was arrested for visiting the mill on a weekend.

On 8/11/2021 at 5:51 PM, BB-Gun said:

Gold Key reprinted several stories by Barks which have been mentioned before.  I still have a few from the sixties.

Donald and Scrooge.jpg

The other reprint series that I really liked were the Dynabrite comics Whitman issued in the late sevenites. Sixty Nine cents got you Barks reprints on a nice high quality paper stock. I bought a bunch of these and still have them.

On 8/11/2021 at 7:59 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

The other reprint series that I really liked were the Dynabrite comics Whitman issued in the late sevenites. Sixty Nine cents got you Barks reprints on a nice high quality paper stock. I bought a bunch of these and still have them.

I have one somewhere and always wondered where they were sold origionally. Were the in five and dimes?