• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,446 posts in this topic

On 8/12/2021 at 9:02 AM, Badger said:

I have one somewhere and always wondered where they were sold origionally. Were the in five and dimes?

At that time the downtown Five and Dimes where I lived had succumbed to the terrors of 70's inflation and had pretty much lost all business to the discount department stores located at the outskirts of town in large shopping plazas. So we would go out to those and see what was on offer as they often had interesting comic related items. I used to pick up the Whitman three packs there and it is likely where I also picked up the Dynabrites. The store names I remember were Britts, Jamesway and the most successful was Two Guys. Two Guys actually had the fewest comics but the other stores seemed lower on the retail pecking order and would have odd things now and then. Even these stores eventually succumbed to changing markets and all went out of business and were replaced by even lower rent discount stores. The race to the retail bottom hadn't reached the 99 cent store level but it was heading there!

This was the time when Western was abandoning the newsstand model and was trying to sell comics in other outlets. Since they had so much other product in those stores they probably had a pretty easy way to push the product in along with their children's books, toys and other goods.

Also at this point while we would occasionally go to comic stores they typically didn't carry much in the way of funny animal books. And they were few and far between in suburbia back then although we used to stop by a place in Princeton when taking my brother to school down the road from there.

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs

On 8/4/2021 at 3:41 PM, BB-Gun said:

Watch out!  It is an animated cover.

2952327970_1297b99d8a_o.gif

This was published in Mexico in 1955.  I believe the page count is 80 pages.  A couple stories were deleted.  Unfortunately I didn't make note of the differences so I'd have to compare it back to the US version again to determine what they deleted.

Vacation Parade 1-SEA - Copy.jpg

On 8/12/2021 at 11:45 AM, BitterOldMan said:

When they first came out, I bought mine at my LCS, Comics & Comix in Berkeley.

wdcamps_58_front_zpsugnihzpp.JPG.5aac0c53c697473dc06f1e8e95b0a541.JPG

Pretty sure I bought this in 1998 at Comics and Comixs in Berkley. The owner had a binder of pictures of comic books that had passed through his hands. Seems like many were the San Francisco pedigree, if memory serves. He had some Marvel Masterworks on sale so I loaded down my suitcase with those. It was a carry-on suitcase and I really did not appreciate how much weight the books added, I had made a couple of trips back to the store to buy more, until I tried to lift it. lol 

Here's my stack of Dynabrites all bought new back when they came out. These have held up quite well over the years better than my standard comics through many moves. I used to have a Winnie the Pooh book too but sold that years ago to a collector who really wanted it for a Pooh collection. This was a pretty good selection of material reprinted in these books.

Dynabrites.thumb.jpg.1e0d15fd413a7dd8c97f0457a115a586.jpg

On 8/13/2021 at 1:40 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Here's my stack of Dynabrites all bought new back when they came out. These have held up quite well over the years better than my standard comics through many moves. I used to have a Winnie the Pooh book too but sold that years ago to a collector who really wanted it for a Pooh collection. This was a pretty good selection of material reprinted in these books.

Those are really cool! I've seen the Golden Fleece and the Bean Stalk ones but I do not believe I've ever seen the others. Thansk for posting!

On 8/13/2021 at 11:47 AM, Badger said:

Those are really cool! I've seen the Golden Fleece and the Bean Stalk ones but I do not believe I've ever seen the others. Thansk for posting!

Those Mickey Mouse reprints are probably two of the best Mickey Four Colors after Phantom Blot. I've got originals of both and they are great books and can usually be had at bargain prices.

On 8/13/2021 at 2:40 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I only have a few Dynabrites but I like to display them over my bookshelf.

51376456698_938fdaea6d_b.jpg

On 8/13/2021 at 1:23 PM, BB-Gun said:

I only have a few Dynabrites but I like to display them over my bookshelf.

51376456698_938fdaea6d_b.jpg

That's a great eclectic selection of books! I could have some fun looking through some of those and anyone who has Nixon's Enemies on the same shelf as All in Color for a Dime has broad ranging interests! I've never really been an ERB Tarzan fan but maybe I should try reading one one day to see what the fuss is about.

On 8/13/2021 at 4:38 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

That's a great eclectic selection of books! I could have some fun looking through some of those and anyone who has Nixon's Enemies on the same shelf as All in Color for a Dime has broad ranging interests! I've never really been an ERB Tarzan fan but maybe I should try reading one one day to see what the fuss is about.

The author of Nixon's Enemies, Ken Kurz, was a good friend of mine.  He lived with us, 4 guys in a house, when I attended Michigan State.  He went to California to avoid the bad weather and enjoy the tuition free education in California and he wrote a few books.  Ken had written many fantasy adventure novels for himself but only published the academic ones.

On 8/1/2021 at 8:21 PM, dikran1 said:

Can anyone tell me quickly what the Cheerios premiums are? Are they worth picking up? 

I found several premiums out in the wild.  I think the Cheerios 3D comics are the most interesting (upper left).  I didn't see any glasses advertised but I have my own.  The Bugs Bunny comics are from Quaker Puffed Wheat boxes and many of the others are from Wheaties.

Here are a few 51387118163_00c27015e7_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

On 8/19/2021 at 8:32 PM, AJD said:

I love giveaway comics. I have a set of these 1960s Disney comics that were given away at Mobil stations in Australia and New Zealand. (#9 here is a NZ copy - stapled rather than glued).

Mobil_4.jpg.4df57fbc3b76aebda00a1bca318a53d3.jpg

Mobil09.thumb.jpg.dc9f648fbed35fdb13d34e8e416f0b48.jpg

596604a4c6766_Mobil1516.thumb.jpg.b33e1d376bc8f47bea82bc2f95d146bf.jpg

Here's the full set of 24

Mobils_complete.thumb.jpg.bacdd2b76a20b32208250ec8d1467e6a.jpg

Very nice collection. Are those WDCS reprints?

On 8/22/2021 at 4:21 AM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Very nice collection. Are those WDCS reprints?

The duck stories are. Of the 24, 17 are WDC&S ten pages, though cut down to about 7.5 pages equivalent to fit the format. Sometimes the editing isn't very noticeable but sometimes it's a bit obvious that something was lost. Six are Mickey Mouse stories (not sure from where) and there's also a highly cut down version of the Gold Key Sword in the stone.

I'm using the current lock down (groan) to do a stock take of my comic and associated stuff collection. I hadn't looked at these for a while, but they are pretty nice. They came with the 52 card covered Barks Library in Color issues, though I bought them all second hand on eBay. To my surprise it wasn't too hard, and I ended up with only a couple of duplicates.

DD_1.thumb.jpg.6fb83f5e3066bf135e639c5acaec5354.jpg

DD_2.thumb.jpg.1f7f1f10d65a649404aa73e2af8574fb.jpg

DD_3.thumb.jpg.60e29225b31c2a6ec7e4f97bea8de801.jpg

I have all the other sets as well, so let me know if you'd like to see them.

On 8/23/2021 at 10:26 PM, AJD said:

I have all the other sets as well, so let me know if you'd like to see them.

Oh, please, rub my nose in it :pullhair:

I have had a BOLO on eBay for these cards for years and have turned up squat. I've refined/expanded search terms to no avail.

The only cards I have were given to me by AJD lol

On 8/23/2021 at 10:44 PM, Duffman_Comics said:

Oh, please, rub my nose in it :pullhair:

I have had a BOLO on eBay for these cards for years and have turned up squat. I've refined/expanded search terms to no avail.

The only cards I have were given to me by AJD lol

I'd forgotten all of that. :$ Sorry Peter.

So I'll definitely post the rest some time. lol