• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,445 posts in this topic

On 8/1/2021 at 5:21 PM, dikran1 said:

Can anyone tell me quickly what the Cheerios premiums are? Are they worth picking up? 

The only one I have is Donald Duck’s Atom Bomb by Carl Barks that I purchased as a college student in the mid-seventies.  How time flies.

On 8/1/2021 at 1:10 PM, Pantodude said:

Nice. Were you as pleasantly surprised by the existence of this book as I was?  I only learned of it this year, but I was wowed by the overall dimensions and linen (!) pages in-hand (even putting aside the high-quality art/colors throughout).   

i was pleased by the page quality due to the linen pages.  The book was kind of fun too and very popular back in the thirties, I think.

On 8/1/2021 at 1:42 PM, Pantodude said:

Oh my goodness.  Pop-up books from that era!  Now that would be a treat!

I think this pop-up page is from an early Mickey Mouse book which was reprinted in a large book about Mickey.

I have a dozen or two giveaway comics from Wheaties and Cheerios.  They have several Mickey and Donald stories in the set plus many other Disney characters.

34377049480_ce64ab8b7a_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

On 8/1/2021 at 9:11 PM, BB-Gun said:

I think this pop-up page is from an early Mickey Mouse book which was reprinted in a large book about Mickey.

I have a dozen or two giveaway comics from Wheaties and Cheerios.  They have several Mickey and Donald stories in the set plus many other Disney characters.

34377049480_ce64ab8b7a_b.jpg

That is an amazing pop-up!:applause:

On 7/29/2021 at 2:22 PM, iggy said:

9EED8E64-82D3-455A-AA40-DD92B1EA3133.jpeg

BC23CE80-4581-4E0B-A827-E37443521657.jpeg

I'd forgotten about that. I pulled out my Barks Library vol 1 to have a look. Barks obviously tried to copy his original style to keep in synch with the other pages, but it's interesting to see how he subtly improved many aspects of the drawings, especially the posing in places and the shading. Clearly his drafting skills had much improved.

On 8/1/2021 at 6:21 PM, BitterOldMan said:

The only one I have is Donald Duck’s Atom Bomb by Carl Barks that I purchased as a college student in the mid-seventies.  How time flies.

I have a couple of the non Barks issues; a Donald and a Pluto. They are unremarkable and small and more a novelty than anything else.

On 8/2/2021 at 10:28 AM, Robot Man said:

I can’t seem to find my copy right now but Barks also did another book “The Lemonaide King”. Perhaps, one of you duck people have a copy to post. 

I was unaware of the Toy Sailboat and Christmas Carol efforts by Barks. It seems to me I had the Lemonade King at one time or perhaps I am confusing it with the WDCS story I think it was based on where Scrooge sets HDL up in business at a lemonade stand and drinks lemonade incognito until he bursts!

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs

On 8/3/2021 at 3:26 AM, Robot Man said:

Important 1960 Little Golden Book. All Barks paintings featuring Donald, his nephews and Uncle Scrooge. Was apparently his motivation to start painting the ducks in oil. 

2FD1E2E9-2565-4C67-93C8-A187675547C8.jpeg

9E4B2A15-3E2C-46E5-81D7-0CBE1E9C1940.jpeg

Very interesting R Man, but where was the sub editor - "Hughie"?

On 8/2/2021 at 1:28 PM, Robot Man said:

I can’t seem to find my copy right now but Barks also did another book “The Lemonaide King”. Perhaps, one of you duck people have a copy to post. 

Lemonade King is pretty cool.  It has a typical Scrooge story and a splash page that credits Carl Barks.

51354223049_ba4863a480_b.jpg

2554059906_f188b8cbec.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

On 7/20/2021 at 9:42 PM, Badger said:

I always wondered about why he did this issue with humans. Definately an experiment he never tried again.

Disney likely didn't like humans mixed with their characters. Our local Uncle Scrooge n°9 had a cover with scrooge mixed with photos of two children. That was taken off circulation and a copy with a new cover, an usual duck only cover was made to replace it.

On 8/3/2021 at 9:08 AM, Kromak said:

Disney likely didn't like humans mixed with their characters. Our local Uncle Scrooge n°9 had a cover with scrooge mixed with photos of two children. That was taken off circulation and a copy with a new cover, an usual duck only cover was made to replace it.

Interesting. Do any still exist with the original cover?

On 8/2/2021 at 12:26 PM, Robot Man said:

Important 1960 Little Golden Book. All Barks paintings featuring Donald, his nephews and Uncle Scrooge. Was apparently his motivation to start painting the ducks in oil. 

2FD1E2E9-2565-4C67-93C8-A187675547C8.jpeg

9E4B2A15-3E2C-46E5-81D7-0CBE1E9C1940.jpeg

Does anyone know if these paintings still exist? I have never seen or heard of them ( or this book for that matter lol ).

On 8/3/2021 at 2:22 PM, Badger said:

Interesting. Do any still exist with the original cover?

Yes, Some copies still do exists. I think a copy surfaces every a couple of years, more or less. I once discussed with some countrymen how many copies exists, if more or less than 100. An experienced seller told he already sold some and believes there might be more than 100 surviving copies.

Most rare comic books are probably sold in the offline market and that makes difficult to do estimations. Still, it is by far the rarest Brazilian Uncle Scrooge book, and one of the most difficult Disney books in the "modern" comic book format to get.

Likely to be one of the rarest uncle scrooge comic books in the world, together with many South Americans "Tio Rico"

Once I saw a guy selling the full (or most of it) Brazil's Uncle Scrooge run, including this rare Number 9 'A' copy, plus the full US run (or most of it), including the FC 178. The announcement only lasted a couple of days which makes me think he regretted putting it on sale and gave up, since the price was preposterous.

Anyway, here are the photos:

Here some photos:

tp9A.jpeg.b6dc410a93ed876f01e74f584cc1c62d.jpeg

tp9B.jpeg.50197e2a7ea378ca2173c8fe6ed2c413.jpeg

On 8/3/2021 at 11:39 AM, Kromak said:

Yes, Some copies still do exists. I think a copy surfaces every a couple of years, more or less. I once discussed with some countrymen how many copies exists, if more or less than 100. An experienced seller told he already sold some and believes there might be more than 100 surviving copies.

Most rare comic books are probably sold in the offline market and that makes difficult to do estimations. Still, it is by far the rarest Brazilian Uncle Scrooge book, and one of the most difficult Disney books in the "modern" comic book format to get.

Likely to be one of the rarest uncle scrooge comic books in the world, together with many South Americans "Tio Rico"

Once I saw a guy selling the full (or most of it) Brazil's Uncle Scrooge run, including this rare Number 9 'A' copy, plus the full US run (or most of it), including the FC 178. The announcement only lasted a couple of days which makes me think he regretted putting it on sale and gave up, since the price was preposterous.

Anyway, here are the photos:

Here some photos:

tp9A.jpeg.b6dc410a93ed876f01e74f584cc1c62d.jpeg

tp9B.jpeg.50197e2a7ea378ca2173c8fe6ed2c413.jpeg

Love the 3D effect on that cover. Thanks for sharing!