• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,446 posts in this topic

On 8/19/2021 at 10:32 PM, AJD said:

I love giveaway comics. I have a set of these 1960s Disney comics that were given away at Mobil stations in Australia and New Zealand. (#9 here is a NZ copy - stapled rather than glued).

Mobil_4.jpg.4df57fbc3b76aebda00a1bca318a53d3.jpg

Mobil09.thumb.jpg.dc9f648fbed35fdb13d34e8e416f0b48.jpg

596604a4c6766_Mobil1516.thumb.jpg.b33e1d376bc8f47bea82bc2f95d146bf.jpg

Here's the full set of 24

Mobils_complete.thumb.jpg.bacdd2b76a20b32208250ec8d1467e6a.jpg

Seriously cool! B|

On 8/23/2021 at 5:21 AM, AJD said:

The duck stories are. Of the 24, 17 are WDC&S ten pages, though cut down to about 7.5 pages equivalent to fit the format. Sometimes the editing isn't very noticeable but sometimes it's a bit obvious that something was lost. Six are Mickey Mouse stories (not sure from where) and there's also a highly cut down version of the Gold Key Sword in the stone.

Hard to believe they could squeeze the giant Sword in the Stone into this format!

On 9/9/2021 at 4:31 AM, dikran1 said:

So I'm not sure how the Promise collection FC 108 is a 9.8... (shrug)

How would you grade it? There are some dubious Promise grades, but that one doesn't look too bad to me. In my observation a GA 9.8 doesn't look like a modern 9.8

I certainly wouldn't kick it out of my shortbox if I owned it!

On 9/8/2021 at 10:15 PM, AJD said:

How would you grade it? There are some dubious Promise grades, but that one doesn't look too bad to me. In my observation a GA 9.8 doesn't look like a modern 9.8

I certainly wouldn't kick it out of my shortbox if I owned it!

I didn’t know there were criteria based on GA vs modern… I’m not saying it isn’t nice, just that I’m not sure it deserves its grade. There’s a pretty long dust/sun shadow on the front, a couple of what I assume are mold spots, and whatever is going on at the bottom spine back cover. 

On 9/9/2021 at 1:07 PM, dikran1 said:

I didn’t know there were criteria based on GA vs modern… I’m not saying it isn’t nice, just that I’m not sure it deserves its grade. There’s a pretty long dust/sun shadow on the front, a couple of what I assume are mold spots, and whatever is going on at the bottom spine back cover

That's just a spot where ink hasn't transferred onto the paper during printing. CGC typically ignores small production defects like that.

The more I study that book, the more I want it! lol

On 9/8/2021 at 11:37 PM, AJD said:

I'd settle for 6.5 at 1/30th the price. I think 6.5 is the sweet spot for eye appeal/$.

Agreed, just meant there is an actual 8.5 ending in a couple days on HA. 

On 9/8/2021 at 9:21 PM, AJD said:

That's just a spot where ink hasn't transferred onto the paper during printing. CGC typically ignores small production defects like that.

The more I study that book, the more I want it! lol

I now own 2 of the Promise books and, just like with the Mile Highs, you have to hold them in hand to truly appreciate how nice they are regardless of grade. The inks and cover gloss are remarkable. Of course, the 108 has versions with and without cover gloss so hm

I've got a DD FC #108 that is a minimum of a 7.5 but probably an 8.0 I picked up from Redbeard years ago. I think I have all of $90 into that book. When I compare it that Promise copy I just can't help but think that buyer hugely overpaid for that big number in the corner. It's not even one of the better early Duck covers which makes me scratch my head even more. Maybe Frozen Gold or Mummy's Ring or even A Poor Old Man would have made more sense for this level of purchase but Terror on the River?

On 9/11/2021 at 2:48 PM, dikran1 said:

Well I picked up these 2 on Heritage today. I am super stoked!
I’m sure I overpaid so “you’re welcome” you old timers 😂

FAD5BBAA-DAC2-41FC-A6C3-FE856B00C31B.jpeg

EF2D6C7C-226B-43A6-B772-BECE2F34D76C.jpeg

Wonderful pickups!

Looking at that Terror of the River cover reminded me why it bugs me. It looks like part of it was not done by Buettner who typically turned in some solid duck covers. Donald's fingers on the oar shaft look out of proportion and oddly jointed without the normal softness you see in the nephew's fingers. The nephew's beaks are also disproportionately small when compared to Frozen Gold; although they still work as a whole. Donald's head on the other hand seems a little funny but that might just be the hat flying off or the oddly large sailor suit behind that gives it a funny look.

Oh and I just looked up the price and in comparison to the Promise Copy on the 108 you got a great deal!

Frozen Gold on the other hand! One of the best!

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs

On 9/10/2021 at 2:21 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I've got a DD FC #108 that is a minimum of a 7.5 but probably an 8.0 I picked up from Redbeard years ago. I think I have all of $90 into that book. When I compare it that Promise copy I just can't help but think that buyer hugely overpaid for that big number in the corner. It's not even one of the better early Duck covers which makes me scratch my head even more. Maybe Frozen Gold or Mummy's Ring or even A Poor Old Man would have made more sense for this level of purchase but Terror on the River?

I agree on the price. I think if it comes up for sale it will go cheaper. (shrug)

A frozen Gold or Mummy's Ring in 9.8 would be awesome to see.  A 9.8 Poor Old Man would bring Nordic Royalty out to hawk their Crown Jewels. It would set a record on a Barks book for sure.

On 9/11/2021 at 4:48 PM, dikran1 said:

Well I picked up these 2 on Heritage today. I am super stoked!
I’m sure I overpaid so “you’re welcome” you old timers 😂

FAD5BBAA-DAC2-41FC-A6C3-FE856B00C31B.jpeg

EF2D6C7C-226B-43A6-B772-BECE2F34D76C.jpeg

Very nice! I tried hard for the 9.0 #291 but lost. Tried to rush over to eBay to buy the 8.5 that was over there but it was gone.>:(

On 9/10/2021 at 12:21 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

An 8.0 FC #108 from Redbeard for $90.? That must have been a long time ago. Ron was never known for his low prices...:roflmao:

That reminds me. I should give him a call. Haven’t talked to him since shut down. One of us old dinosaurs from the early days. He has amazing stories. I finally got him to come on the boards for a while then he just stopped posting.