• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,445 posts in this topic

On 9/10/2022 at 9:26 AM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I wonder if the early Scrooge's go for big Duck Bucks in Scandinavia?

When Duck books were going for record money back in 2006-08, most of the biggest players were Scandinavian collectors.

On 9/9/2022 at 9:53 PM, tth2 said:

When Duck books were going for record money back in 2006-08, most of the biggest players were Scandinavian collectors.

Ah, the good ole days.

When it comes to foreign Duck books, I'm really loving the Italian comics of the early 1950s. Not only do they have really cool color variations of some covers, like this one for FC 263 - my all time favorite Duck FC:

Walt Disney Foreign Comic Golden Age (1938-1955):Humor, Four Color #263 Donald Duck (Dell, 1950) CGC VF/NM 9.0 Off-white to white pages....

But they also have a Barks cover taken from interior panels for the other other long story in FC 263 "Trail of the Unicorn"!  How cool is that - a Barks cover not seen in the U.S.!:

Image 1 - List of Gold First Series No 208 Mondadori 1950 RARE History Donald and the Unicorn

To me the answer is "very cool" and I've picked up several copies. Anyone know of any other Barks covers that are not on US comics? 

P.S. Fantagraphics did something similar for their "Trail of the Unicorn" volume of the Carl Barks library:

See the source image

I'm sure they used "unicorn" instead of "totem poles" out of sensitivity to native peoples.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 9/9/2022 at 9:26 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I wonder if the early Scrooge's go for big Duck Bucks in Scandinavia? That would be an awesome set to put together to go with the US edition. I was lucky enough to score what is probably an 8.5 copy when I was in high school for $125. My Dad never thought I'd get my money back but that turned out to be one of my wiser comic investments. For my reader copy I just go to this book. And you can follow up with Mummy's Ring to boot! This is also the book (not this copy though) where I first read the "Only a Poor Old Man" story when I was a kid. The image of the money dam bursting was etched in the memory banks!

1992056949_USDDGiant.thumb.jpg.5e8c86834677ab84a0c6dfbdbcd53863.jpg

I think two of these were purchased from the local drug store back in the sixties I purchased two more giants after moving to Houston in the seventies (and eighties), 

I think the giants convinced me to go back and find all of the early comics by Barks.

8827418540_316f366499_h.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

On 9/14/2022 at 4:28 PM, AJD said:

Those Italian books are wonderful! Here's a less well executed but similar Australian take on the unicorn cover.

large_D179.PNG.4e90cd9cc96d0ad017e6a772fa65cf4c.PNG

A new grail for me to find! Not Barks, but a cool reconceptualization.  For a variety of reasons I feel a lot of love and nostalgia for FC 263.  It was one of the first comics I read when my Dad gave me his childhood collection 40s-50s comics.  The stories are excellent - among Barks' best. I grew up in the NW and felt an affinity for the Totem story. I am ever on the lookout for a high grade probably file copy of FC 263. Hard to find. Let me know if you find a decent copy of that Aussie take you want to unload. I'd love to have one.

On 9/15/2022 at 9:44 AM, sfcityduck said:

A new grail for me to find! Not Barks, but a cool reconceptualization.  For a variety of reasons I feel a lot of love and nostalgia for FC 263.  It was one of the first comics I read when my Dad gave me his childhood collection 40s-50s comics.  The stories are excellent - among Barks' best. I grew up in the NW and felt an affinity for the Totem story. I am ever on the lookout for a high grade probably file copy of FC 263. Hard to find. Let me know if you find a decent copy of that Aussie take you want to unload. I'd love to have one.

Will do. That one is a late 60s reprint - I had it as a kid and read it to pieces. The first Australian printing was a 1951 edition that I have only ever seen on websites.

On 9/7/2022 at 7:56 PM, Robot Man said:

One of the most fun parts of this hobby is the “discovery”. I’ve been doing it a LONG time. Just when I think I’ve seen everything, something like this pops up. Wasn’t looking for it. Didn’t even know it existed. But when I saw it, I just had to buy it.

Uncle Scrooge #1 printed in full color in Denmark in 1954. A major key no matter how you look at it.

I guess if I actually want to read it, I guess I can pull out my bound copy.

Someday, I need to go after a high grade copy…:roflmao:

Anyone ever see another vintage foreign  edition of this?

ECDCD8DF-5E17-4784-96DF-1FB1B5F004BF.jpeg

47D294DF-FE6C-45FE-88AC-B09EE25CA7D6.jpeg

Wow, I am impressed. Where did you get that?

Anyway, there is more than twenty publications of FC 386 up to early 70's. I know at least two people trying to do a set of it, and there probably more. I doubt anyone will get all, but who cares!

On 9/15/2022 at 10:53 AM, BB-Gun said:

I purchased FC 263 back in the eighties.  It was a little expensive at the time but it had two stories by Barks.

I think I have three copies now but only one high grade.

8803275401_948f911076_b.jpg

Nice image. So difficult to choose the best cover. And it's probably even worst to choose the best story!

On 9/17/2022 at 7:20 AM, Kromak said:

Wow, I am impressed. Where did you get that?

Anyway, there is more than twenty publications of FC 386 up to early 70's. I know at least two people trying to do a set of it, and there probably more. I doubt anyone will get all, but who cares!

I bought it right here on the boards of all places. An impulse buy. Didn’t know it existed. I figured it was pretty unique. Glad I got it. 

On 9/17/2022 at 10:28 AM, Kromak said:

Nice image. So difficult to choose the best cover. And it's probably even worst to choose the best story!

I think my favorites are the Magic Hourglass and Mummy's Ring

Favorite Scrooge story is in issue #5.

8813858596_4cd42227a0_b.jpg

On 9/20/2022 at 4:41 AM, AJD said:

Having missed the boat on the first few WDC&S (I have #s 4,6-100 complete), I've decided to pick up higher numbered ones when the right $/eye appeal copy comes along. Here are a couple of recent additions.

large.2067977295_WDCS110.jpg.541c024360b97532f7453387a523c53d.jpg

One of nicest Walt Kelly covers.

On 9/22/2022 at 8:44 AM, Kromak said:

One of nicest Walt Kelly covers.

Agreed! I picked up this sweet copy many many years ago for a song when you'd find books like this at cons for five to ten bucks and less sometimes. I always figured this to be a file copy it's so nice.

WDCS110.thumb.jpg.bec7540c07a87c55dff6a33aeba73b03.jpg