• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,432 posts in this topic

On 11/8/2022 at 7:09 AM, Badger said:

I think very few people buy Duck books for investment. There might be a few like WDC&S #1 and FC #386 which. over a long time, have a good return but the rest are too market/buyer sensitive. I remember Overstreet's notations saying, "Prices vary widely on this book." Really that should be on all the Disney GA. Some dealers swear you cannot move them for guide and I know another one that will take every duck book you have, in nice shape, and swears he can sell them for a tidy profit. Many, most?, dealers do not bother bringing Duck books to shows because they just do not sell regardless of grade. However, the last Duck book I bought was from a major dealer at a small show. :wavingwhiteflag:Figuring out Duck prices and sales trends is confusing.lol

I remember when I first started collecting, Barks Ducks were first tier books. Not so much any more. They are such great reads but this has become such a key/classic cover high grade centric “hobby”. Great for those who love them. 

On 11/9/2022 at 12:09 AM, Badger said:

I think very few people buy Duck books for investment. There might be a few like WDC&S #1 and FC #386 which. over a long time, have a good return but the rest are too market/buyer sensitive. I remember Overstreet's notations saying, "Prices vary widely on this book." Really that should be on all the Disney GA. Some dealers swear you cannot move them for guide and I know another one that will take every duck book you have, in nice shape, and swears he can sell them for a tidy profit. Many, most?, dealers do not bother bringing Duck books to shows because they just do not sell regardless of grade. However, the last Duck book I bought was from a major dealer at a small show. :wavingwhiteflag:Figuring out Duck prices and sales trends is confusing.lol

Although if you go box hunting you might be surprised on what you can turn up and often at a decent price!

On 11/8/2022 at 8:11 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Although if you go box hunting you might be surprised on what you can turn up and often at a decent price!

I need to do more box hunting. I always pay way more attention to the wall books and almost never dig through the boxes. I'll try to do better in Dallas this weekend.

On 11/9/2022 at 10:51 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

You don't read much about Carl Buettner but he left behind some of the most iconic four color duck covers! Frozen Gold being perhaps my favorite.

He is so good. For years I thought they were Barks' covers but I was corrected on these very boards. :facepalm: Is there anything that talks about who he was and what happened to him?

On 11/9/2022 at 7:52 AM, Badger said:

I need to do more box hunting. I always pay way more attention to the wall books and almost never dig through the boxes. I'll try to do better in Dallas this weekend.

Wall hunting is lazy and rarely a deal. The deals are often buried in the boxes as well as suprises you discover that have been overlooked by others.

I even scored a couple of great deals from Harley a while back. Often yesterday’s high prices become today’s steal.

I always ask for stuff I want that isn’t out. Sometimes I find stuff in boxes that behind the table.

Another question about this one:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/cartoon-character/walt-disney-s-comics-and-stories-17-file-copy-dell-1942-cgc-nm-mt-98-off-white-to-white-pages/a/40208-81465.s?type=bidnotice-endofauction

Is this the oldest Donald Duck Cover to score a 9.8?

And yes, unfortunately I don't encounter many Disney/Duck Books when I go Box Hunting, but the ones I find are surprisingly good.  No major keys but the age, condition, and asking prices for these issues are great.  In my opinion, some of the best cover art were from the Golden Age of Disney.

Edited by Bigphatpaulie

FWIW: Not quite so. In Germany we have the number "0" (zero) for highest grade, comparable to the grade 10 in US scaling (and hence exceedingly rare). Best copy of Micky Maus 1/1951 known is probably a "0-" ("zero minus"), residing with a long time collector (not me). :foryou:

Edited by Pickie

The FC 178 9.6 sold again for 90k… so assuming the book hadn’t been sold privately in between auctions, HA made 45,000$ on the same book and the seller  lost 22,500$… How does one go about opening an auction house?… 🤔

On 11/17/2022 at 6:27 PM, dikran said:

The FC 178 9.6 sold again for 90k… so assuming the book hadn’t been sold privately in between auctions, HA made 45,000$ on the same book and the seller  lost 22,500$… How does one go about opening an auction house?… 🤔

I was watching this auction too.  A grail like that is worth more in my books

Why is it the seller lost 25%?  I thought Heritage extracts 10%

On 11/17/2022 at 7:53 PM, Bigphatpaulie said:

He paid 90k to buy it. Sold it for 90k. HA took 15k buyers premium plus 10% of the 75k so 15k + 7.5k so in all he lost a regular human’s yearly salary with very little effort 

On 11/18/2022 at 10:44 AM, dikran said:

He paid 90k to buy it. Sold it for 90k. HA took 15k buyers premium plus 10% of the 75k so 15k + 7.5k so in all he lost a regular human’s yearly salary with very little effort 

Does Heritage do reserve auctions? Seems like that would be a good way to get more books on the blocks.

On 11/18/2022 at 7:27 AM, dikran said:

I was surprised too, but apparently there were at least 2 other collectors out there that were willing to pay around $90k for it, in addition to whoever won this last year.

But how did HA make $45k off this sale?

On 11/18/2022 at 9:44 AM, dikran said:
On 11/18/2022 at 8:53 AM, Bigphatpaulie said:

I think it's very unlikely that Heritage charged the seller full boat.  So the seller definitely did end up losing money net net, but probably not $22.5k.